« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Stop Start Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
si.

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Stop Start Issue

When we had the 4th year service done today, Mrs Si mentioned the stop start being a bit erratic at the moment, and that I thought the battery was dying, as the voltage seems low. It only reads about 12.6v after charging.

The dealer has diagnosed a faulty stop start voltage sensor, and is pricing a new one. Apart from suspecting we'll need to be sitting down when they phone with the price. Has anyone else had this problem, and 'how sitting down' will we need to be?

Post #224254 8th May 2014 9:56 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

ooh don't talk about stop/start car problems, the amount I have had is unbelievable. Two main dealer garages said they can't find anything wrong, or the outside temperature was too cold to check or the battery wasn't charged up enough. Funnily enough after a couple of longish runs its started to work again but for how long???? See my postings about it and battery question Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #224255 8th May 2014 10:02 pm
si.

I have a feeling if the part is too expensive, and it only effects the stop start, the stop start may just stay stopped. Although the garage hasn't phoned with a price yet.

Post #224386 10th May 2014 10:52 am
realspeed

United Kingdom 

I am not over impressed with stop/start anyway, I get the feeling other motorists think I have stalled the engine and don't know how to drive properly Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #224387 10th May 2014 11:33 am
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

Would be interesting to know how much the part is. Is only a tiny part I believe that fastens directly to the battery and negative lead. I reckon it would be fitted in minutes. I've said on another thread I think my battery needs replacing as the stop start doesn't work. If the voltage regulator is cheap it maybe an option to change that before the battery. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #224447 10th May 2014 10:34 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

does any member have a photo of the stop/start sensor and where it actually is, only there doesn't seem to be anything on the web showing it Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #224478 11th May 2014 10:11 am
Stevie5tapes

I believe this is the voltage sensor that is connected to the negative terminal.
 Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.

Post #224492 11th May 2014 11:34 am
realspeed

United Kingdom 

thanks Steve looks easy enough to change if you could let me know what it costs when you get one I would be gratiful.

Also done a voltage check using the same digital tester as before and I notice the voltage has dropped by 0.2 volts over 3 days now 12.1 volts. This makes me wonder if the battery is on its way out, ok temperature may have an affect on it same as the car alarm, don't know about the retrofit sat nav if that is something causing it. i shall have to keep a closer eye on it I think.

I am trying to get my head around the sequence of events. Car clutch peddle- out of gear-hand brake on- engine cuts out, so what makes the sensor know this? there must be some electrical circuit involved

Using the air con the power drain on the battery can also stop the stop/start from working as well
I was wondering if there was some way to "trick" the sensor to think its warmer than the actual outside temperature Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #224493 11th May 2014 11:40 am
Stevie5tapes

Theres quite a large section on my workshop manual that I bought from Ebay. Many parts are involved. Brake vacuum sensor, gear selector sensor and voltage sensors etc. The workshop manual is a copy of Topix I believe. It says there should be fault codes if any of the components aren't working. I got a quote for Dan two items:

Battery monitoring module LR031998 £68.27+VAT
Voltage quality module LR031831 £98.97+VAT

The battery module is the part that connects to the battery.

Mine worked fine all summer last year then stopped working around November, same as the year before. Its still not working at the moment so I'm just wondering if its the battery. When I bought my car the dealer (Non LR) hadn't managed to sell the car for nearly 3 months so I'm wondering if the battery suffered as a result of not much whilst been stood? Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.

Post #224585 12th May 2014 12:55 pm
carcol_123

2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Alaska White
stop start issues

I had stop start issues on our 2012 (new) some times it worked and some times it did not, after approximately 18 months the problem is solved, it was found that the battery was only 65% charged due to me not using the car enough, they tried charging the battery, but it would not fully charge its self, a new battery was fitted under warranty and now I connect the C-Tek battery conditioner to the car and now the stop start works every time

Post #225719 28th May 2014 4:20 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/ctek-mxs5.0.php

Is this version the correct one for stop/start
freelander? Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Last edited by realspeed on 28th May 2014 10:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #225726 28th May 2014 5:15 pm
Stevie5tapes

My stop/start started working today, it hasn't worked since December! The engine was stopping this morning but re-starting after only 3 or 4 seconds. I'm definately going to buy a new battery before winter. I'm interested in the battery charger above, I might buy one. I've been reading about desulphurisation charging (if that is spelt correctly). I think the Ctek charger does this, basically reconditions the battery. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.

Post #225737 28th May 2014 6:46 pm
carcol_123

2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Alaska White
Stop Start issues

You are correct Harwoods Land Rover of Tonbridge specified the CTEK MXS 5.0 12v 5a and it works fine for me. The cheapest I could find was off Ebay at £58.00 with a firm called POWERVAMP advanced power solutions Email address info@powervampracing.com hope this helps, sorry I have taken so long in replying computer shuts down and then restarts all on its own. Colin
P.S. They fitted a replacement AGM battery

Post #225825 29th May 2014 1:57 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

thanks Carcol for confirming my link and where you got yours from Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #225837 29th May 2014 5:17 pm
si.

Ours started working again yesterday. Which is just as well, as the dealer still hasn't phoned with a price for a new sensor yet..... Rolling Eyes

Post #225937 30th May 2014 10:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>