Print this entire topic · 
Geordiemick

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Cheers SakoQuad
I shall give it ago.

Post #217902 24th Feb 2014 10:59 pm
TC-W3

Australia 

After reading all 74 pages on this topic I would like to make a few comments.

Many people have tried this, after reading about it here and the vast majority have reported a quieter engine with better economy and reduced emissions when tested. If the effect had been zero you would expect a mixed bag averaging around zero effect.

There is virtually no official research to explain the results but that research would need a commercial motive and what would that be?

I found it disappointing that the moderators have at times ridiculed posts where strong gains were found.
The results have been varied from zero to quite profound but those strong results have been far from isolated.

One question repeated many times is to ask for proof of the extra lubrication before combustion.
Two stroke oil used in a conventional ported two stroke engine first enters the crankcase, mixed with fuel, where it's compressed before being expelled into the cylinder through the peripheral ports prior to combustion.
Up until that point the oil in the fuel is resonsible for the lubrication of all the moving parts, since it's a dry sump.
Although the quantity of oil is less at 1:200 than say 1:50 it's still the same pre-combustion situation where an oil specifically designed to provide lubrication while mixed with fuel is going through the HP fuel pump and injectors and is logically providing extra lubrication. To ask for testing to prove that seems unreasonable as it's already proven.

There has been no mention of the same oil being used in petrol engines but it is and with similar results.
The only difference being a higher ratio of about 1:500.
I have also read where it's been used to free sticking lifters.

Negative results from it's use are thin on the ground and usually theoretical.

I have been using it for a while and have also found benefits in reduced engine noise, economy and smoothness. Using accurate calculated figures over some time in my current vehicle it reduced the fuel consumption from 6.7L/100km to 6.2L/100km

Post #222829 23rd Apr 2014 3:35 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Thanks for your input TC-W3, glad to hear the positive effects on your car.

Post #222835 23rd Apr 2014 7:02 am
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

TC-W3 states pretty much the same sort of conclusions I reached having carefully read through the entire thread on this subject (before going around the net reading other stuff wherever possible as well).

I was convinced by the argument for using 2SO in this thread. I have used it for approx 10 months. I don't think I get any noticeable MPG effect though initially it seemed like there was an improvement of a couple mpg I suspect that was a change in my driving style to an even softer right foot! As the car was my first diesel I found it a tad noisy anyway on start up so again I can't be totally sure about a reduction in noise level.

I did however have my second MOT done recently at 36700 miles. The Exhaust Opacity Test gave a result of 0.06. Last years MOT exhaust Opacity Test at 24000 miles gave a result of 0.2.

It seems to me that the difference between these two figures is significant and very much as experienced by other users of 2SO. Needless to say I plan to continue using it as a regular fuel additive.

I still get mine from Morrisons at £2 per half litre as can't find it cheaper anywhere else.

Post #222856 23rd Apr 2014 11:30 am
SteveC

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Quote:
I still get mine from Morrisons at £2 per half litre as can't find it cheaper anywhere else.

Got mine here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comma-TST5L-Wheel-...stroke+oil Steve

2008 TD4 HSE Auto, Zermatt Silver

Post #222865 23rd Apr 2014 1:30 pm
SakoQuad

Thanks SteveD. I used to buy this at Amazon but in 1 lire containers which cost more. I will get some of the 5 litre now though! I reckon fuel costs enough without paying more than needed for the 2SO.

Post #222888 23rd Apr 2014 6:00 pm
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

+1

Thanks SteveC!!

Bow down Bow down

Post #222900 23rd Apr 2014 7:57 pm
TC-W3

Australia 

This post, from a US forum, shows how 2 stroke oil added to the fuel lubricates a HP fuel pump.
The forum is for the Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86 with the direct injection 2L petrol engine. This engine in the US was/is cursed with HP fuel pump noise caused by the ethanol in most of their fuel which reduces the level of lubrication.
Many forum members have tried it with success and no detriment.

Digging up an old thread, but since my hpfp chirping started at around 9k miles and got progressively louder as I reached 10k (I mean really loud), I did some reading and added some TCw3 to my fuel.

It's only been a quarter tank, but the chirping occurs much less frequently and is much quieter when it shows up. On a single short drive it'll come and go. Chirping at some stoplights and not chirping at others. On top of that, the engine is quieter overall.

I went conservative with a 1:1000 ratio, but I might up that to 1:750 at the next fill up.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread....ost1693474

Post #222917 24th Apr 2014 2:48 am
Miffa

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Buckingham Blue
Re: Why car manufacturers do not recommend 2-stroke oil

yamaha-fan wrote:
You may all know that Mercedes Benz have conducted in 2007 a long distance reliability test with a number of Mercedes E-Class 320 cdi from Paris to Beijing. Due to the fact that the diesel quality in East European Countries, Russia and China does not meet the DIN requirements, and Mercedes did not want to take the risk of their engines to flopp due to lousy fuel, the total tour has been accompanied by diesel tanks to re-fuel the E-Class cdi's. Selected members of the Mercedes clientele could apply to participate in selected parts of this test-tour, and advocats and notaries had to certify the correctness of this long term reliability test.
Although Mercedes does not like it published or made public, it is a fact that the diesel-fuel used for this test did contain 2-stroke oil to grease the high pressure pump components and to keep the engines clean during this marathon.
Why our car manufacturers do not officially allow the homoeophatic addition of 2-stroke oil to the diesel fuel has many reasons, mostly of legal nature. Besides this, which car manufacturer has any interest in excessive reliability of their engines? Their repair shops will have great problems.
Meanwhile the "2-stroke-oil to diesel" issue has attracted the interest of a number of Universities in Germany, as this 2-stroke oil has shown to have amazing poperties if added in a small dosis to diesel fuel (1:200), especially the positive impact on air pollution, reduced fuel consumption and improved long term reliability of the diesel engine. The pro and con discussions will go on for a while. But as soon as an accademic report has been published by one of our Universities, this will change very fast.
By the way: all car manufacturers reject the addition of any fuel "additive" in their cars, and warn that guarantee MAY be affected. Nobody says, that guarantee WILL be rejected. 2-stroke oil in its properties is not an additive, as you add oil to oil if you "dope" you fuel with a dosis of 2-stroke oil. The dosis of 2-stroke oil in your diesel-fuel is very difficult to analyse, as every (chemical) analysis has the main function to identify substances which are harmful. But 2-stroke oil has proven not to be harmful at all, on the contrary!
Personally, I use 2-stroke oil now for many years in all of my diesel cars (my present business car is a Mercedes 320 cdi DPF Automatic). And I never had any problems whatsoever.

YF
Is there any up to date information about adding 2 stroke .?

Post #224880 15th May 2014 4:49 pm
SakoQuad

Not seen any results of academic research. Several members here asked that YF let us know if any findings were published but YF not very active here these days.

Post #224886 15th May 2014 5:49 pm
macka17

Australia 

Hi.

This subject has been doing the rounds for decades.

We used it in the old 2 ltr and 2.2 ltr's back in the mid '60's.

Smoothest\best little Landy I ever had though was an old "ex" chicken coop from a farm around mid '65
1500cc Sidevalve with permanent 4wd Just a gear stick and a High\low.
tray behind the seat was around 2 ft deep.

That thing. with a battery. one spring. oil change and canvas for canopy. (whole thing all up. cost me 12 quid.
It pulled my 22ft caravan round the Motorways (construction) for 3 yrs till I upgraded to a 2 ltr diesel and got into the blowing head gaskets syndrome, cause the rad was set too low.
Lifted Rad. all ok.

Those ald girls would pull anything anywhere. at 35MPH downhill. MAX. Usually walk past it going up hills in Sth Wales on the pipelines and Severn Bridge Construction.
Last 12 yrs used a Nissan Patrol 3ltr to tow my 3 ton caravan round Australia. plus a 2010 Isuzu D Max.

The Landrovers aren't the best out bush here in Australia. slight lack of service agents and parts supply.
They are around 1 in 60 ratio to others.

Post #225269 22nd May 2014 7:11 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Observation using TSO

My works vehicle has a smart service system where the oil quality is measured and the service due period calculated.its not a Landy.

Since using TSO I noticed the following

Mpg improved by 3 mpg
Torque improved and can use 1 gear higher on the same hills

Regens almost few and far between, May account for the improved mpg

Most amazing of all is the service due period is getting longer and longer. It started of at 18k but now heading for 30k before service is due, I popped into the main dealer to check if there was a limit before the oil needs changing and was advised to go by the service reminder on the dash !

So that tells me the engine is running so clean and efficiently that the oil is not degrading ! this would also explain why when the sump was removed on our 6 year old diesel car previously the engine block was still shiney internally & the sump was spotless ! even the oil strainer was still silver. The combustion appears to be a lot cleaner running TSO so the oil doesn't become contaminated ! but does anyone know why ? Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #226374 4th Jun 2014 9:25 pm
nickkuts

Bulgaria 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Nazca Sand

Hallo,
I use 2stroke oil in the diesel from day one i bought my FL2
Some time now i am adding Bardahl BDC additive.
I am mixing the portion of 2 stroke oil and the additive in one bottle prior pouring in the tank.
Do you think the mixed fluid is less effective than the two fluids separately?

Post #226901 12th Jun 2014 6:05 am
TC-W3

Australia 
Re: Observation using TSO

oldgeezer wrote:

So that tells me the engine is running so clean and efficiently that the oil is not degrading ! this would also explain why when the sump was removed on our 6 year old diesel car previously the engine block was still shiney internally & the sump was spotless ! even the oil strainer was still silver. The combustion appears to be a lot cleaner running TSO so the oil doesn't become contaminated ! but does anyone know why ?

That is an interesting question. It makes sense that it will provide better lubrication until combustion and also clean components too but clearly it improves combustion. The yearly emissions results prove that, they're far lower than just clean injectors could be responsible for.

Post #226903 12th Jun 2014 7:10 am
TC-W3

Australia 

Here's another forum detailing their results from using fully synthetic TC-W3[marine grade] in petrol engines at 1:500 ratio. Starts in 2008 and i've only read the first 20 of many posts.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

Post #226976 13th Jun 2014 1:54 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 74 of 93 <123 ... 737475 ... 919293>