Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Auto clutch smell when reversing caravan, normal or not.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
wurzel153

2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

I have now returned the caravan and did not experience the same reversing issue, I.e. The handbrake released and it was a lot easier to reverse the van up the same slope.

I have discovered that my car is as eyorkshire mentions and that I can drive off with all doors open and no seatbelt on and the handbrake releases. Contrary to the instruction manual.

I also now have a burning plastic smell coming into the car through the air vents and my right drl keeps going on and off so I think possibly some wiring fault but have no idea so will call dealer tomorrow. Luckily all witnessed by my wife so I don't feel like I'm being paranoid.

Post #222056 13th Apr 2014 8:27 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

EYorkshire wrote:
When you get time could you check again Mav, I know what it says in the owner manual but mine is different Confused

As you know you have to put your foot on the brake pedal to manually release the handbrake or just press the accelerator pedal for automatic release.
It makes no difference at all to mine if one or all doors are open as I can press the accelerator and it will happily release and drive away, also without the belt buckled Confused

Checked again. If you start the car with the door open, or not latched properly, and press the accelerator, the car will not release the hand brake.

If you release the hand brake, move then open the door you can move the with the doors open. It looks like a function when first starting with the doors not closed properly. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #222113 14th Apr 2014 3:01 pm
the money pit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I experienced something similar with my FL2, I was reverse parking up a slope, when there was a strong burning smell in the car. It turns out that it was a problem with the rear differential. It would have been a £600 at my local Land Rover dealer, but it was (fortunately) done under warranty.

best

Johnny

Post #222122 14th Apr 2014 3:42 pm
wurzel153

Mav, your right, it is a function when first starting the car. Just tested mine and it is as you suggest. Cars going in on the 28th to the dealer so will see what they say.

Hope its not the rear diff. I dont have any weird noises, just smells.

Post #222139 14th Apr 2014 6:28 pm
Iliacus

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

I have reversed my 'van on the flat with no problems. However, yesterday I had to reverse (without a 'van, just Mrs I and a few plants in the back) up slope into a neighbours driveway and it didn't like it Sad

I hadn't set the parking brake but when I pressed the accelerator to move nothing happened for a while and then as I pressed harder it took off suddenly so I had to brake. I had to do this three times to get up the slope.

Does anyone know if the footbrake holds on for a while when you release it? GONE - '07 TD4 GS manual Zermatt Silver
LONG GONE - '55 Norton Dominator 99 SS cafe racer

Post #222427 18th Apr 2014 9:48 am
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Depending on how steep the slope is the Hill Start Assist function will kick in and hold the brakes on for up to 3 seconds to assist you in restarting on the hill.

Post #222433 18th Apr 2014 10:53 am
Iliacus

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Thanks, I had assumed it was doing something like that but I wasn't sure for how long. I'll give it a bit longer next time Thumbs Up GONE - '07 TD4 GS manual Zermatt Silver
LONG GONE - '55 Norton Dominator 99 SS cafe racer

Post #222440 18th Apr 2014 12:25 pm
wurzel153

Update.

Car now back from dealers. They have re-calibrated the electronic hand brake. The dealer said that they have had other people in with the same issue and the advice they are giving is to drive forwards to release the hand brake and then reverse.

Apparently the car can struggle to reverse release the handbrake but works perfectly when going forwards. The discos are suffering the same issue but worse symptoms.

So in real speak, 'the electronic handbrake is poo'.

Post #223333 28th Apr 2014 6:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12