Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Is this reasonable from a main dealer?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Jrt2007xs

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Third time lucky!!!

Post #221821 10th Apr 2014 7:55 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

I think I would take the money - your confidence in the car has been shot and you will forever wonder if the "fix" has been done correctly.

Plenty more fish in the sea my friend. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #221823 10th Apr 2014 8:42 pm
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

le bouch wrote:
Mike got involved this afternoon and I have just heard back from the dealer that they will cover all the costs when it goes into my local for the repair - it won't be a warranty claim.

I just need to decide whether I can trust them / the car now or whether I'm better off returning it within the 30 day period and just getting my money back and buying something boring and reliable.

Stick with it,get them to provide you with a car whilst they have yours,they can drop it off to you and return yours once it's fixed. Get them to give the car a proper test and inspection,so that you know that everything has been checked over by a competent mechanic. It looks like you have the support of the LR customer services team behind you,so make the most of it. LR don't want bad press about their 'approved used car' scheme all over the web.

Post #221825 10th Apr 2014 8:48 pm
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black
Update

Following intervention from Mike @ LR CS, the selling dealer has confirmed that they will foot the bill when my car goes to the local LR dealer, Caffyns, for repair on the 25th.

I am absolutely reserving my right to return the vehicle for a full refund - it will still be within the 30 day / 1000 mile period.

As advised above, I have asked that before the work is started, the car be properly examined by Caffyns, following which and depending on the faults revealed:

1. I may decide to keep it.
2. If I decide to keep it, any faults noted are to be fixed by Caffyns, at the dealer's expense.
3. The warranty to be extended to 24 months and 2 years servicing included, in line with the current 'spring promotion' which all LR dealers are offering on Approved Used vehicles.

This will allow me confidence in the vehicle; put bluntly I now wouldn't trust the supplying dealer's service department to make the tea properly.

There are other issues, particularly around invoice / retail price anomalies on the paperwork given to me.

This afternoon I received a five-line email reply from the dealer, offering to pay for a 'safety check' when the car is in Caffyns. This is generally how it goes, I write to them in full, they fob me off with a text-message style reply. I recently received an email from their 'dealer principal' which had all the style and content of an internal memo.

I've had enough. I've told them to come pick up the car and refund my money.

Post #221900 11th Apr 2014 9:56 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

le bouch, reading your post above it was looking like you were getting a good deal with the repair, etc at Caffyns ?

Iain

Post #221904 11th Apr 2014 10:52 pm
ghawk2005

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

sounds like you've done the right thing to me. The car itself is amazing and I'd highly recommend taking your time and looking for one closer to home. Any car could have faults, its the way they are dealt with that is the issue here and if your supplying dealer doesn't have the respect and decency to write to you in a proper manner then why should they have your money?
When you're parting with that type of money it has to be top notch and maybe an idea to have an RAC inspection done for your next purchase and then any faults can be picked up before handing over the money next time....or go to a dealer you know and trust. Don't be put off the car though, it is as I'm sure you've already found out a beautiful piece of kit. I have had a 7 year old 100,000 mileage one for nearly a year with hardly anything needed doing.

best of luck for your future purchase Smile

Post #221905 11th Apr 2014 11:20 pm
le bouch

iain cooper wrote:
le bouch, reading your post above it was looking like you were getting a good deal with the repair, etc at Caffyns ?

Iain

Hi Iain,

In one respect yes, but it seems totally lost on them that they have now supplied two vehicles with faults which should have been picked up and fixed before sale. They are doing 'just enough' and don't understand / care that my faith in the brand and in particular them as a dealer is shot.

They are paying for the repair because LR have spoken with them and, I suspect, pointed out that it's their responsibility to pay, rather than have the warranty cover it.

I don't think it's unreasonable to extend the warranty and chuck in some servicing - something they're offering to new Approved Used Vehicle customers at the moment anyway.

I could at least then relax and enjoy the vehicle. Something I thought I'd be able to do by going to a LR dealer in the first place.

Post #221908 12th Apr 2014 12:17 am
le bouch

ghawk2005 wrote:
sounds like you've done the right thing to me... Any car could have faults, its the way they are dealt with that is the issue here and if your supplying dealer doesn't have the respect and decency to write to you in a proper manner then why should they have your money?
... maybe an idea to have an RAC inspection done for your next purchase ..... Don't be put off the car though... best of luck for your future purchase Smile

Thanks for your support. The only thing I can do is vote with my feet and wallet. I didn't think an independant vehicle inspection would be necessary at a LR main dealer but maybe you're right. I still like the model but maybe it's just not meant to happen for me.

Post #221909 12th Apr 2014 12:22 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I make you right - you've had a bad experience of both the vehicle and the dealer and that in turn has made you lose confidence in the brand. You'd always be wondering when the next fault would appear.

I had a similar experience when I tried to buy a brand new scooter last year. Really liked the bike, had practically made my mind up that I was going to buy one, had a test ride on a demonstrator with a couple of hundred miles on the clock. Demonstrator broke down/cut out numerous times on the test run - once at 70mph on a dual carriageway, once when pulling away from the lights (nearly got rear-ended by a car) and once on a very busy roundabout on the A12 - Gallows corner. Had to push the bloody thing onto the hard shoulder as it wouldn't start straight away. Told the dealer about the breakdowns when I got back and he practically called me a liar and said that the bloke who rode it the previous day didn't mention anything about it and even put a deposit on it. Told them to poke it and will never go to that dealer (Steads of Romford) or entertain that brand (Piaggio) ever again! Decided to stick with my old, reliable Honda. Thumbs Up Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #221912 12th Apr 2014 7:17 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

I'm not so sure about a bad experience of the vehicle. The first case wasn't a fault on the car, more likely the result of lack of care in preparation, so really it's one fault in two vehicles and any car can have a fault. Stats suggest the FL is better than most of the competition.

So, whilst I fully understand a lack of faith in the dealer, and a desire not to do business with them, once fixed the second car sounds like a sound buy, particularly with its low mileage. All I'd say is if you send it back be sure you're doing it for the right reason, and not walking away from a good car because of a dealer you'll never have to see again.

Post #221920 12th Apr 2014 9:37 am
le bouch

Steve D wrote:
I make you right - you've had a bad experience of both the vehicle and the dealer and that in turn has made you lose confidence in the brand. You'd always be wondering when the next fault would appear.

I had a similar experience when I tried to buy a brand new scooter last year. Really liked the bike, had practically made my mind up that I was going to buy one, had a test ride on a demonstrator with a couple of hundred miles on the clock. Demonstrator broke down/cut out numerous times on the test run - once at 70mph on a dual carriageway, once when pulling away from the lights (nearly got rear-ended by a car) and once on a very busy roundabout on the A12 - Gallows corner. Had to push the bloody thing onto the hard shoulder as it wouldn't start straight away. Told the dealer about the breakdowns when I got back and he practically called me a liar and said that the bloke who rode it the previous day didn't mention anything about it and even put a deposit on it. Told them to poke it and will never go to that dealer (Steads of Romford) or entertain that brand (Piaggio) ever again! Decided to stick with my old, reliable Honda. Thumbs Up

Life's funny isn't it? I bought a Piaggio Vespa brand new 10 years ago and it's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned Laughing

Post #221921 12th Apr 2014 9:42 am
le bouch

pab wrote:
I'm not so sure about a bad experience of the vehicle. The first case wasn't a fault on the car, more likely the result of lack of care in preparation, so really it's one fault in two vehicles and any car can have a fault. Stats suggest the FL is better than most of the competition.

So, whilst I fully understand a lack of faith in the dealer, and a desire not to do business with them, once fixed the second car sounds like a sound buy, particularly with its low mileage. All I'd say is if you send it back be sure you're doing it for the right reason, and not walking away from a good car because of a dealer you'll never have to see again.

You're right, of course. I don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face. At this moment though the ball is in their court. They can either look after me and show a bit of courtesy and respect or come get their car.

Post #221922 12th Apr 2014 9:45 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

le bouch wrote:
Steve D wrote:

I had a similar experience when I tried to buy a brand new scooter last year. Really liked the bike, had practically made my mind up that I was going to buy one, had a test ride on a demonstrator with a couple of hundred miles on the clock. Demonstrator broke down/cut out numerous times on the test run - once at 70mph on a dual carriageway, once when pulling away from the lights (nearly got rear-ended by a car) and once on a very busy roundabout on the A12 - Gallows corner. Had to push the bloody thing onto the hard shoulder as it wouldn't start straight away. Told the dealer about the breakdowns when I got back and he practically called me a liar and said that the bloke who rode it the previous day didn't mention anything about it and even put a deposit on it. Told them to poke it and will never go to that dealer (Steads of Romford) or entertain that brand (Piaggio) ever again! Decided to stick with my old, reliable Honda. Thumbs Up

Life's funny isn't it? I bought a Piaggio Vespa brand new 10 years ago and it's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned Laughing

And I've had no trouble with my Freely. Laughing Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #221972 12th Apr 2014 5:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12