Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Newbie: Hello and can I have some advice please......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dan55

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Fuji White
Newbie: Hello and can I have some advice please......

Hi all,

Long time lurker, 1st time poster so please forgive the questions!!

I have been after a Landrover of some description for a long time now and I finally think its about time I did something about it. I've considered a Disco but to be honest I'm too tight to take the hit in MPG and road tax!!! Therefore I think the most sensible option is a Freelander 2!!!

I've seen a really nice 60 plate HSE TD4 auto for sale locally. Not been to see it yet as I know once I do I'll want to buy it as I'm impulsive!! I'm also nervous as well so wondered if I can get some of your expertise please?

I'll be coming from a Seat Exeo estate which has been a great car, but its a 61 plate and It's now got 71,000 miles on it so I'm thinking of changing while its worth something! How will the Freelander compare to this?

I generally get high 40's MPG. The official figure for an auto TD4 is high 30's. In the real world with a lot of Motorway mileage what can I expect?

Also what's the boot like compared to an Exeo or A4 ish sized car? We have a lot of weekends away and generally fill the boot!! I guess a dog guard raises the loading height a fair bit? There's only 2 of us and the dog! SWMBO doesn't think the boot will cut it!

Finally for now, what should I expect to pay for a warranty if I decided to go for it? I think the dealer only offers 3 months and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with that?

Sorry for so many questions on a 1st post, but I've been a lurker for a few months now and finally decided to pick your brains!

Cheers Dan

Post #221522 7th Apr 2014 12:46 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

The FL2 is an excellent car so long as it's what you actually want. By which I mean that it's a 4x4 - and a proper one, unlike most of the SUVs which are just taller versions of road cars. This means that it has a high, commanding driving position, but also a high centre of gravity, and also that it's heavy and has the aerodynamics of a brick. So whilst the on-road behaviour is better than many SUVs it's not a sports car, and it will feel different from the Seat to drive.

Fuel consumption is likely to be the in low 30s for an auto - manual high 30s, and about 5-6 mpg better than the auto. Load space is OK but not great with the seats up. Pretty good with seats down.

If you're looking for something with off-road capability (you mention having wanted a Land Rover for some time) the FL2 is by far the best option this side of the Discovery. If not, just be aware that you'll be paying for that capability anyway - something which a lot of buyers don't really seem to understand!

Post #221529 7th Apr 2014 2:15 pm
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

If you are planning on doing high motorway miles, as your post would suggest, it might well be worth looking for an eD4, as opposed a TD4. You will see a better mpg return rate based on 2WD, and as the above poster suggests, if you are not planning on using the true off-road capability of the vehicle, then there seems little point in shelling out for it in the first place. Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #221531 7th Apr 2014 2:48 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Pab's first sentence is 100% spot on.
I would reccomend that first you and Wife go to a car supermarket to look at but not buy a Freelie. In our area you don't see a salesman so you can sit in and look around unmolested and begin to form your opinions.
Pab's last comments are also spot on in that you are buying a clever car with special features geared to offroad. You may be well advised to research the warranty and servicing aspects and you may find that a LR dealer 12 month extendable warranty might lead you to a different choice of car than the one you first mention.
3 months from a non franchised dealer would require a low purchase price to compensate.
I do hopes thoughts might help you.
Kind regards from Fred.

Post #221534 7th Apr 2014 3:27 pm
ghawk2005

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

general warranty isn't really worth much as the claim limit tends to be up to 」500 maximum. I bought an extended warranty with Evans Halshaw with mine and they have been brilliant since. If you can afford the extra though, go for an approved used LR dealer. The extra is worth it I believe.

Post #221538 7th Apr 2014 4:34 pm
dan55

Hi gents,

Thanks for your info. I work on site in construction so to be honest 4wd will be useful if not essential. I could live with the lower MPG and higher RFL than the car I've got, its not going to break the bank or anything but obviously I will notice the difference and it will take a bit of getting used to! At 20,000 miles a year and say 12mpg difference (35 to my 47) between that and the Seat, I reckon that's roughly 」900.

Regarding warranty I hear what you guys are saying. The car to be honest looks very competitively priced. It's 」18,490 for a 60 plate HSE that's done 35,000 miles. I could afford to top up the warranty myself or take the risk and the hit of a few repairs. It seems like a really good price to me???

However saying that I've just noticed that LR are having a used vehicle event this weekend with 2 year warranty and servicing! Might have to have a look and see how much extra they are from them!

To be honest I'd love one! Always wanted one. Just not sure its the whether the right move to go from a 61 plate fuel efficient beast like the Seat to a thirstier older car!

Keep your thoughts coming please!

Post #221541 7th Apr 2014 4:47 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Quote:
To be honest I'd love one! Always wanted one.

In which case I very much doubt that you'd regret it - so long as you know what you're buying it's an excellent car. I'll probably keep mine for some time yet - I can see no reason to change it - but if I was to replace it it would be with another FL2. Can't say better than that!

Just FYI, I didn't buy mine from a LR dealer and haven't had cause to regret it. The FL2 is pretty reliable overall, although there are one or two expensive things which can go wrong if you're unlucky.

Post #221542 7th Apr 2014 5:03 pm
Aero_383

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Ipanema Sand

Hello Dan and welcome.
I won't repeat the advice already given as it is all sound.
Regarding the boot space, to be honest it's not great on the Freelie as the wheel arches intrude, but if its just you, your other half and the dog, I would suggest for weekends away put the rear seats down and you will have loads of space.
The driving position, off road ability and bad weather capability make up for the relatively small boot and mean you can have more rural weekends away in heavy snow when you would have stayed at home with your Seat. Thumbs Up

Post #221545 7th Apr 2014 6:06 pm
ad210358

England 

The really want one is the important bit, there are many a member who "fancied one" only have a problem a few months later and we are not talking serious problems, perhaps a breakdown which has cost them 」100 to put right, so sold it and bought a standard car. Rolling Eyes
Boot space would be important to check that you can cope with it, it's not big. Driving sensible you should be able to achieve 35 at least on a run, the trick is keep the revs below 2k go above and it drinks it, check it thoroughly, listen carefully for whines on the Steering, Wheel Bearings, Diffs.
If not buying with LR Warranty, check what it covers, some have been on here and found the warranty they had only covered engine and gearbox. If your getting a manual, check the clutch, it's a weak point, on the road test, accelerate off a roundabout hard in third, or fourth, watching the rev counter, if it rises quicker than your speed the clutch and possibly the DMF is on its way out.
Not wishing to frighten you off, if you do want one, it will put a smile on your face every day you drive it, you will go out for a drive just for the sake of it. Thumbs Up

Post #221547 7th Apr 2014 6:14 pm
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Last 2 fills averaged 40.something using the RoadTrip app which included a mix of motorway and town driving. FL2 SD4 Metropolis Auto Santorini Black / ivory completely stock.

It's true that light travels faster than sound, some people look quite intelligent until you hear them speak.

Stop global winging.

Post #221552 7th Apr 2014 7:34 pm
dan55

Guys,

Thanks a lot for your help. To me as well as a car that I'll probably do 20,000 miles a year going to and from work, I also want it as a lifestyle choice/statement!

I'm going to make enquiries about the one I've seen and take it from there.

Thanks again for your input and fingers crossed for me please!!!!

Dan

Post #221586 8th Apr 2014 9:24 am
dan55

Hello again,

Ok, I've made my mind up quicker than I was going to! With there being an Approved Used Event this weekend at LR I've managed to find a decent HSE for a little more than the one that was for sale at the Supermarket, but comes with the 2 year warranty and free servicing as part of the deal. Going to view and hopefully purchase on Saturday! I feel a lot more comfortable buying a 4 year old car knowing it's got 2 years of hassle free motoring from the warranty point of view!

Wish me luck!

Daniel

Post #221789 10th Apr 2014 1:18 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Sounds promising. Remember you also have the option to extend the warranty (even at 6 years, LR will do their "select" warranty. Not sure how long it can continue, but it's up to 100,000 miles distance.) It's reassuring that LR dealers have enough faith to sell (and warrant) cars at more than 3 years old -in fact I've recently traded in a MY07 and the salesperson reckoned they would probably sell it on themselves rather than send it to auction. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #221794 10th Apr 2014 2:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1