« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Reduced Engine Performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Harribo

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Reduced Engine Performance

Well had my first break down, the dreaded limp mode kicked in right when I didn't need it on my way to my holiday, got recovered to my destination, found a garage near Driffield, from the sounds it was making and reading on here, I was hoping for a split inter cooler pipe, the garage suggested the same and ordered the turbo inlet pipe, £65 plus labour and a system reset. When I collected they said they wouldn't recommend using it and that the turbo was knackered Big Cry TBH it sounded as rough as anything, and sounded like metal on metal contact, 5 mins driving and limp mode kicked in again..

Got recovered home and decided to explore further, had a feel at the turbo and couldn't feel that much play and it hadn't been smoking prior. Got underneath and noticed the actuator lever on the back of the turbo dangling in fresh air.....stupid plastic clip that probably cost 20p to make looked to have failed, why do they make such rubbish designs when some bits look bomb proof.

Re attached it, put a circlip on the shaft had the engine management reset all noises gone and car running like a dream again.
Just goes to show dealers don't always know best, I feel a little robbed of my £150 now though and can't believe they didn't spot the fault.
Just keeping my fingers crossed now. Thumbs Up

Post #221831 10th Apr 2014 10:20 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

That's got to be worth a letter of complaint to the dealer or failing that, LR customer services. You've got nothing to lose. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #221832 10th Apr 2014 10:41 pm
Gordy

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

^^+1 the issue surrounding the fault should have been inspected and not assumed.....

Post #221833 11th Apr 2014 12:02 am
Harribo

The Doctor wrote:
That's got to be worth a letter of complaint to the dealer or failing that, LR customer services. You've got nothing to lose.

Yes I will be putting pen to paper, but more importantly wanted readers here to know how easily these trucks are broken and that a 20p crappy clip can render them inoperable and that a garages solution is to spend £2000+ on a new turbo.

Post #221838 11th Apr 2014 6:21 am
Harribo

Gordy wrote:
^^+1 the issue surrounding the fault should have been inspected and not assumed.....

Once I got underneath it took me 2min to spot, but couldn't really see from wheel arch. Yes they should have seen it.

Post #221839 11th Apr 2014 6:23 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1