Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > DMF V. Solid Flywheel?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
landygeezer

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
DMF V. Solid Flywheel?

As it looks like I am going to have to replace my DMF etc., I was looking on line for costs and came across a company (Valeo) offering a complete SMF 'Kit' as a replacement for a DMF for FL1's, including flywheel, clutch plates, thrust bearing etc. They claim that there will be no more problems and offer really good product guarantees.
I can't find the same conversion kit for the FL2, has anyone seen one or done this kind of swap and if so was it successful? Question 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE in Sumatra Black. 38,000 miles. Have put on 19" Evoque Style 4 Sparkle Silver wheels with 35 x 55 Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres. Added fog light surrounds, stainless tailgate protectors and high level spoiler. New leather seat covers and chrome door handle covers; Dipped trim with dark wood effect; Re trimmed steering wheel to match seats (black with red stitching); Updated rear light units: Black painted front grill and rear door handle/light unit.

Post #219146 10th Mar 2014 8:43 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

Ive not done it myself, I've read a few things on the internet about people who have gone over to single mass flywheels and they were not happy with vibrations etc. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #219153 10th Mar 2014 9:03 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I know a lad who did this on a elderly shogun , we said it was much worse than he expected but didnt care as the whole clutch and flywheel was cheapy to get another couple of years life out of the old shogun- which was never highly refined from day one

It would be a great shame to give a much newer FL2 such shakes At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #219154 10th Mar 2014 9:07 pm
landygeezer

Thanks. I assume from the apparent lack of conversion kits for the FL2 it is neither popular or desirable then. So back to finding a reasonably priced DMF!

A question to those who have had the replacement - have you all used OEM parts or are there good reliable after market parts available that would save a few bob? Also besides replacing the slave cylinder what other parts are worth doing whilst the gearbox is out?

Being fairly new to Landys, please lift me out of my depression and tell me this isn't how life will be running a 4x4 Crying or Very sad 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE in Sumatra Black. 38,000 miles. Have put on 19" Evoque Style 4 Sparkle Silver wheels with 35 x 55 Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres. Added fog light surrounds, stainless tailgate protectors and high level spoiler. New leather seat covers and chrome door handle covers; Dipped trim with dark wood effect; Re trimmed steering wheel to match seats (black with red stitching); Updated rear light units: Black painted front grill and rear door handle/light unit.

Post #219192 11th Mar 2014 11:31 am
Stevie5tapes

Euro car Parts are doing a deal on an DMF
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Land+Rov...amp;000134

Have you got a mechanic to fit it?? Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.

Post #219200 11th Mar 2014 1:32 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I know with Ford vehicles when we buy a genuine Ford clutch, take it out of the genuine Ford packaging we get a clutch marked up 'LUK' so I wouldn't hesitate getting an LUK DMF as in the link above. Thumbs Up Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #219202 11th Mar 2014 1:52 pm
landygeezer

Thanks for the link Stevie5, certainly cheaper than many I've looked at! I will probably use Elams in Mirfield where I live for the work, they have a good rep with 4x4's and their labour rates are pretty competitive too.
I was wondering about LUK SteveD, they certainly have a presence on Ebay its just I didn't know how good their reputation was but if Ford are using them then I assume they must be reasonable. 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE in Sumatra Black. 38,000 miles. Have put on 19" Evoque Style 4 Sparkle Silver wheels with 35 x 55 Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres. Added fog light surrounds, stainless tailgate protectors and high level spoiler. New leather seat covers and chrome door handle covers; Dipped trim with dark wood effect; Re trimmed steering wheel to match seats (black with red stitching); Updated rear light units: Black painted front grill and rear door handle/light unit.

Post #219211 11th Mar 2014 3:46 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Steve D wrote:
I know with Ford vehicles when we buy a genuine Ford clutch, take it out of the genuine Ford packaging we get a clutch marked up 'LUK' so I wouldn't hesitate getting an LUK DMF as in the link above. Thumbs Up

Bit like Rolls Royce suspension parts, come in a RR bag, premium price, and marked Citroen.

Post #219223 11th Mar 2014 4:53 pm
Stevie5tapes

Try Dan at Duckworths on here, he might be able to do you a good price? Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.

Post #219226 11th Mar 2014 5:17 pm
freelander2

England 2012 LR2 SD4 XS Auto Sumatra Black

had mine done at local indy @£1100 clutch, pressure plate, dmf, slave cylinder and crankshaft oil seal.plus oil and other items used .not many garages will allow you to buy your own clutch kits ,they make money on them plus vat is added on end bill.also if parts are faulty .I had cambelt done at farnels leeds and one of the pulleys that they fitted was faulty and had to wait for them to source another .took another 2 hrs for them to find and replace another part.its also worth phoning round local dealers and get them to quote you a price they will sometimes price match as they did with my cambelt. did it at trade even though im not trade.oil seals worth doing as its £800 plus to have it done later.seal costs £8 to £20 its engine or gearbox out job

Post #219229 11th Mar 2014 6:06 pm
atlas

Romania 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

DMF: LUK 415 0484 10

Clutch Kit: LUK 625 3074 33

Post #219238 11th Mar 2014 6:38 pm
landygeezer

You have all been a great help, thanks. I was wanting to know the part prices so I wouldn't be ripped off, I do appreciate most garages want their pound of flesh, which is understandable - we all like a profit. Not many garages I know have a registered charity number!! At least I am now well armed. 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE in Sumatra Black. 38,000 miles. Have put on 19" Evoque Style 4 Sparkle Silver wheels with 35 x 55 Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres. Added fog light surrounds, stainless tailgate protectors and high level spoiler. New leather seat covers and chrome door handle covers; Dipped trim with dark wood effect; Re trimmed steering wheel to match seats (black with red stitching); Updated rear light units: Black painted front grill and rear door handle/light unit.

Post #219255 11th Mar 2014 8:33 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

landygeezer wrote:
Thanks. I assume from the apparent lack of conversion kits for the FL2 it is neither popular or desirable then. So back to finding a reasonably priced DMF!

A question to those who have had the replacement - have you all used OEM parts or are there good reliable after market parts available that would save a few bob? Also besides replacing the slave cylinder what other parts are worth doing whilst the gearbox is out?

Being fairly new to Landys, please lift me out of my depression and tell me this isn't how life will be running a 4x4 Crying or Very sad

The problem is, Forums are a place where many only join to complain and find answers, if you believed everything written on here, you would never buy a Land rover.

The same goes for other sites. Join an Audi forum and you'll never buy an Audi and so on.

DMF, Haldex and Diff issues are few and far between. Rare issues relatively speaking when compared to the quantity of cars built. All manufacturers have issues with DMF from time to time.

I ran a Freelander 2 TD4 manual for 6 1/2 years and 65000 miles without issue, and now have had a 2013 SD4 for over three months and it has been faultless so far.

Fear not, the FL2 is a good reliable car. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #220072 21st Mar 2014 11:12 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Have a look here for reliability statistics: http://www.reliabilityindex.com/

You'll see that the FL2 does very well in comparison with most of its 4x4 rivals, with some of the cars you might expect to do well (Audi, BMW, for example) being much worse. A modern 4x4 will tend to be less reliable than a 4x2 simply because of the additional complexity of the 4x4 drivetrain, electronics, etc, but by 4x4 standards the FL2 is pretty reliable. (But could be better!)

As for the DMF, whilst solid flywheels also have advantages the usual drivers of NVH, fuel consumption, etc, mean that we have to suffer DMFs. To replace a DMF with a solid flywheel requires the latter to be heavier in order to avoid excessive vibration - maybe there's not space in the FL2 for a larger/heavier flywheel? (Something which could explain the under-rated clutch too.) Or maybe the demand's just not there. But as Mav says, many manufacturers have had problems with DMFs, and I've even heard of some van operators welding up DMFs (at the expense of increased vibration) to prevent future problems!

Post #220074 21st Mar 2014 11:41 am
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

You might want to have a look at our prices as well. We stock LUK which is the original equipment.

http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/transmiss...2-34-c.asp

I should also add we do not sell any conversion kits for any make/model. Too many issues in the past. Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2760
Order Parts Online at www.advancedfactors.co.uk

Post #220339 24th Mar 2014 5:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>