Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 16 <123 ... 678 ... 141516>
Print this entire topic · 
Ben Twillie

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

athelstan wrote:
MY2010 TD4-e Manual
Extra Earth Cable to Starter Motor Factory Fitted

Well it is on her Ladyship's FL2 - and no starter problems so far between minus 27°C to plus 40°C. Thumbs Up

Brother-in-law's MY11 TD4-e GS has two earth straps as per Athelstan's. My MY11 SD4 has only one. Both cars built May 2011. Neither car has ever had any problems at all.

Post #212308 29th Dec 2013 8:53 pm
ivancrx

United Kingdom 

Well I have owned my Freelander 2 for 4 weeks now and this is the second mod I have done on it, mainly because HDC fault that was coming up on the dash, WAS being the operative word, not had a problem since I fitted a new earth lead to the starter. Very Happy

Post #212428 31st Dec 2013 1:53 pm
Sparkes

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi! First time I've heard about this. Posted a link in Technical which happened Monday. See below. Guess what I'm getting sorted the weekend!!!

"My wife had the HDC Failure problem this morning but the battery was so low all hell was let loose with hazards flashing, low beam lights coming on and going off. Must of gone in to melt down as there was just a trickle of battery left, so much so that the fob couldn't be removed from the ignition.

Luckily, my father (being retired) had time to drop past and jump start but even that took ten minutes to trickle feed the Freelander. My wife called at a local garage on her way to work and they said the battery was perfect.
Wife now at work so now fingers crossed that it starts.

I did notice on Saturday morning that it sounded as if it needed an extra crank to get it started but put it down to low temperatures. " 2007 LR Freelander 2 GS - factory tints, LR mud flaps, 2013 facelift)
Problems/solutions include: rear diff pinion replaced, stearing rack and pump replaced, alternator earth cable replaced (plus new alternator as misdiagnosed), throttle body replaced, MAP sensor replaced, secondary earth cable...
2002 MG TF 160 1.8i VVC - Gone
1998 MGF 1.8i VVC - Gone

Post #213348 8th Jan 2014 3:41 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

I get the HDC fault during starting when its cold outside. It happened on Sunday morning when it was 1 degree. Engine was sluggish to turn over but started, its fine when not so cold. I've been meaning to fit an extra earth lead for ages. Anyway at work today I put the car in the warehouse and had a tinker. I found that my car (It has stop/start) already has an earth lead fastened to one of the bolts of the starter motor. I put the battery on charge also with an smart charger, after 30 minutes the battery was fully charged.

Is it worth (if anyone knows?) fitting an earth lead from another point on the engine?

I found an bolt here at the side of the engine under the air filter. Would this be any good?? Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #213795 14th Jan 2014 7:03 pm
cornerstone-100

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

Just done the mod. Haven't had any of the problems yet, prevention better than cure. Made up a cable out of an old set of jump leads cut up length, and some loop connectors I had. Fitted it to the starter motor bolt. Total time to make and fit 45 mins. ................................................................................................................................
25th January 2014 until Now ...... 2008 HSE Auto. Rimini Red
1st December 2013 Now Gone..... 2008 HSE Auto Baltic Blue. .........Lasted 28 days (but that's another story)
................................................................................................................................

Post #215549 2nd Feb 2014 1:35 pm
sparkybaz

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
pre made leads any length

just bought a made up lead from this guy after my problems with dash lights great quality

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Neat-Electric?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Post #215753 4th Feb 2014 11:20 am
pkj926

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Hi guys, I am trying to carry out this mod and fit an additional earth cable to my new acquired 2007 HSE i6 3.2 Auto, I have removed the airbox and now I don't recognise any of the photos you guys have posted about the location of the starter motor! All i can see is the Air-Con compressor. Anybody done this on an i6? and if so any suggestions of a suitable location - or even a photo, would be much appreciated!

I am trying to cure an issue when sometimes the starter motor takes quite a few turns to start the engine and think adding an extra earth lead has got to be worth a try

thanks Current - MY 2007 HSE i6 3.2 Auto, Baltic Blue
Previous - MY2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S, Bonatti Grey
Also own - 2011 Jaguar XF S 3.0D Polaris White

Post #216856 14th Feb 2014 10:06 am
Legoman

United Kingdom 

Or drill it out a bit.

Post #216858 14th Feb 2014 10:17 am
Stevie5tapes

pkj926 wrote:
Hi guys, I am trying to carry out this mod and fit an additional earth cable to my new acquired 2007 HSE i6 3.2 Auto, I have removed the airbox and now I don't recognise any of the photos you guys have posted about the location of the starter motor! All i can see is the Air-Con compressor. Anybody done this on an i6? and if so any suggestions of a suitable location - or even a photo, would be much appreciated!

I am trying to cure an issue when sometimes the starter motor takes quite a few turns to start the engine and think adding an extra earth lead has got to be worth a try

thanks

If it's struggling to turn over maybe it's the battery? I don't know if this has been tried before, someone else might have a better idea but if you have jump leads try connecting one to the engine block and the negative battery terminal. Then see how the engine turns over. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.

Post #216860 14th Feb 2014 10:35 am
Dave DND

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Not seen under the bonnet of the i6 myself, but would hazard a guess that the earth system and flaws are going to be fairly generic across the range, and there is absolutely no harm in fitting an extra earth strap.

If you can locate your starter motor on the block, then get a connection made to it as close as practically possible, but in reality, anywhere on the main engine block itself should suffice

Post #216862 14th Feb 2014 10:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

pkj926 wrote:
Anybody done this on an i6? and if so any suggestions of a suitable location...

The layout of the i6 is completely different from the td4. I've never so much as set eyes on one, but it appears that the starter is mounted underneath the engine by the oil pan. Access requires removal of the engine undershield.

No thoughts on alternative locations for an earth, I'm afraid.

Post #216864 14th Feb 2014 10:42 am
Dave DND

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

A good and clean connection to the gearbox or bellhousing would also suffice if the starter motor location proves difficult.

Post #216865 14th Feb 2014 10:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mattdonut

Ive just Joined to say thanks for this top tip

id only had the freelander a couple of weeks
and one morning my battery died RAC came out said it was fine
i got home and it started fine next day it failed again
so i fitted a new battery and did some research and thats how i found this thread

i went Halfrauds about bought the earth strap
fitted it to the battery and the other end to the starter motor bolt

I'm amazed how fast it fires up now

so thanks to the OP for this tip Thumbs Up

Post #218406 2nd Mar 2014 7:29 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Well done , but can I suggest that now it fires up with gusto I would advise replacing the original body earth strap from the battery to the body.

Having put the earth strap on tends to reveal that the original has failed ! Mine was all corroded internally which wasn't revealed until the rubber casing was removed !

For me it was 3 years of horrendous issues until the corroded cable was found, it was thought it was caused by excess flux during manufacturing and then as it was all shrink wrapped it just seals in the corrosive flux Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #218420 2nd Mar 2014 9:38 pm
Stevie5tapes

Ive got an earth lead already attached to the starter motor, with my car being a stop/start model I don't know if I have two earth leads already? Anyway, I keep toying with the idea of getting another earth lead. There is enough thread showing on a bolt securing the starter motor whereby I can connect the earth lead there and secure it with a nut. But I'm not sure how to attach it to the battery end.

As the car has stop/start it has a voltage sensor on the negative end. The sensor thing looks to have room for only the two cables that are held down by a nut, if I put a third cable on I think the nut will come loose. Is there anyway to fix a 3rd cable to the battery?? Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.

Post #220959 31st Mar 2014 7:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 16 <123 ... 678 ... 141516>