« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Air Con Not Functioning At Low Revs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
peasemold

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
Air Con Not Functioning At Low Revs

As title. In this weather, when everything is damp, if you are stationary in traffic you can see that the demisting is not working very well. As you clear the hold ups and build up speed the demisting seems to be restored.

Parked on the drive with the engine running, when you select AC the engine cooling fans do not come on. I am sure that I read somewhere that they should. Is this the case?

Cheers 2007 TD4 SE Manual Santrini Black

Post #215438 31st Jan 2014 10:06 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

First guess Air Conditioning probably needs regassing. Second guess filter is blocked.

I think engine cooling fan only comes on when it needs to cool the engine down but.......could be mistaken.

Post #215442 31st Jan 2014 10:56 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Cooling fan module is a common failure on these.
A quick diag check of high pressure line when idling will point to the fault, if idling the high pressure goes high, (either check with gauge or live data in diagnostics ) if the cooling fan isn't running then that's where you need. To look. Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #215499 1st Feb 2014 8:42 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

Fans should run with AC on and stationary as otherwise it workn't as effectively. I am not an expert, but if the cooling fan module has failed (it is mounted on the assembly that holds the fans) it appears to be something that does fail. I understand the module isn't available separately from LR but partslandrover (on ebay) sells them - he is local to me and had a number of fan assemblies but sells the module by itself as that is the part people want!

May save a bit of money over going to LR.

Hope that helps.

Andrew 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #215612 2nd Feb 2014 9:49 pm
peasemold

Thanks to all.

I had tried to get a new module but dealers would only supply complete fan and module assemblies at considerable expense.

Fortunately "partslandrover" did indeed have just the module listed on eBay and I await its arrival.

Again, thanks for the help. What a great forum 2007 TD4 SE Manual Santrini Black

Post #215615 2nd Feb 2014 10:05 pm
alex_pescaru

On temperatures below 5-10 degrees Celsius, when the AC is on, my cooling fans are working intermittently. They are not always on. And they are not faulty. This is how the system works.

The start of the cooling fans, when the AC is on, is depended on the AC system pressure.
As outside the temperatures, now on Jan-Feb, are quite low, the thermodynamic's laws tell us that the pressure inside the AC system is also lower than on a hot day.

As per original problem, also during this period of year, many times you get into car with wet or damp clothes.
The humidity from the clothes is transferred to the car's interior air.
Taking out the water from the air is efficient when there is a certain temperature difference for a given air saturation with water (RH). The so called dew point.
The AC system has a hard time to create this temperature difference when the outside air temperature is so low. So therefore the misting phenomena.
It may seem odd, but you have to wait for the interior car's temperature to raise sufficiently in order for the demisting (and AC system) to work properly/efficiently on the given conditions.

Post #215617 2nd Feb 2014 10:11 pm
peasemold

Thanks for that Alex. It would seem that the operation of the ac is not quite as simple as I thought!!

I should get the new module this week. It will be interesting to see what happens. Give it a few days and I will also check/change the pollen filter.

I will let you know how it goes! 2007 TD4 SE Manual Santrini Black

Post #215818 4th Feb 2014 8:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1