51%
 51%  [75]
Total Votes: 147

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 73 of 93 <123 ... 727374 ... 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
DoomDealer

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Biscay Blue

Right, for those who are interested: I've been through two tanks of diesel woth two stroke in my 2010 TD4.e and I can report that, at least in my case, it made next to no difference. The engine was perhaps a tad quieter and smoother but hardly worth mentioning. No other improvement. Gonna try v power nitro instead for the next couple of fill-ups, once I've sorted the slipping clutch the car's just developed at only 32,200 miles ... 2010 Land Rover Freelander 2 TD4.e GS
2011 Volkswagen Golf GT - Gone
2006 BMW 118d SE - Gone

Post #208508 23rd Nov 2013 5:56 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

I'm also on my second tank of 2 stroke mix. Sometimes the car sounds really quiets, other times like today it sounded really noisy. I fill up twice a month so i'm going to keep using 2 stroke till my MOT in April and see if there are any changes in the emissions test. Not really scientific I know but I only fill up on supermarket diesel so maybe the results will say the engine is abit cleaner? Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #208518 23rd Nov 2013 6:25 pm
LuckyTrucker

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

Hi there, I haven't done it for a little while but there was a time when I closely monitored my fuel consumption on an old 2.8 td Isuzu. I used supermarket fuel and I used fuel company fuel. I did find that although the fuel from the supermarket was 1 - 2 pence a litre cheaper I also found mpg was also down by 2 - 3 mpg. So I concluded unless the price difference was at least 5 pence a litre then I would only fill at fuel company stations.

Cheers

Post #210776 12th Dec 2013 12:56 pm
docbell

United Kingdom 

I've followed this thread with interest. I have come down on the side of Yamaha Fan and added 200ml 2T to my tank. I bought 1L of Draper 2T chainsaw oil JASO FC which was red in colour. I was a little perturbed by the warning "do not use this in four stroke engines"...oh well!
So far perhaps a little smoother, definitely more impressive cold starts.

I can understand the lubricity of the oil in the pump and coating cylinders etc adding to improved compression, perhaps. My question though is, how does adding this clean out the EGR valve and turbo which have been quoted, surely once combustion has happened, all detergent properties are no longer? Or is it due to increased heat of afterburn?

P.s why the warning not to use in four stroke?!

Post #211844 22nd Dec 2013 11:43 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

The idea is that if the burn is cleaner then the EGR will not get gummed up.

They say not to use TSO in four stroke engines in as much as not to use it as sump lubricating oil, i.e. don't use it instead of 5-30 oil! John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #212306 29th Dec 2013 8:38 pm
docbell

United Kingdom 

Ah, thanks JST. I wondered that was the case. I may have misinterpreted the initial advice which was to start by adding a litre of the two stroke to clean everything out but then again that was 70 or so pages ago on this thread!

Post #212321 29th Dec 2013 10:59 pm
SigurD

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black
Fully synthetic TSO

I am new to the forum and I read this tread with interest.
What I am still, after 73 pages, are wondering about is why you can't use fully synthetic jaso fd TSO other then that it is expensive.
I read that somebody said it doesn't mix well with diesel, that it doesn't burn well, that it has a higher flash point.

Please can somebody explain (scientifically Very Happy )

Ps: apologize in advance if my English is poor Shocked

Post #213774 14th Jan 2014 2:31 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I can't offer you scientific explanations I am afraid.Though I thought that the reasoning had been covered by Yamaha in some of the earlier posts. My memory is that it was a waste of money more than anything else but there may well have been technical reasons as well that now escape me!

The difference in cost alone is a very good reason though, if the synthetic oil offers no advantages why pay 2 or 3 times as much for it?

Post #214084 17th Jan 2014 3:36 pm
FL2Printzern

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Fully synthetic TSO

SigurD wrote:
I am new to the forum and I read this tread with interest.
What I am still, after 73 pages, are wondering about is why you can't use fully synthetic jaso fd TSO other then that it is expensive.
I read that somebody said it doesn't mix well with diesel, that it doesn't burn well, that it has a higher flash point.

Please can somebody explain (scientifically Very Happy )

Ps: apologize in advance if my English is poor Shocked

As far as I understand: Mineral 2SO burn a bit cleaner than full synthetic. On cars with DPF this is more critical. Iam not sure it there exist a low ash variant of synthetic 2SO?

Post #214187 18th Jan 2014 10:04 pm
dervdave

United Kingdom 

Use semi synthetic oil JASO FC spec

Post #214292 19th Jan 2014 8:50 pm
SigurD

[quote]As far as I understand: Mineral 2SO burn a bit cleaner than full synthetic. On cars with DPF this is more critical. Iam not sure it there exist a low ash variant of synthetic 2SO?

Do you mean burn cleaner as less ash or as more complete?
You should expect that fully synthetic burns cleaner because it is silicon based oil, so low ash. The one I am using at the moment is a snowmobile jaso FD. This one here i Norway is actually cheaper than the semi-synthetic 2SO at the gas pump.
I have been using this fully 2SO the last 9 months and I haven't experienced no downsides of the oil yet. Just the positif smoother engine and cold cranking of the engine.
I have to say though that fuel consumption hasn't changed much. I'm doing 6,8 (long trips) to 7,5 (average)/100 km.

One experience I had that can possibly relate to poor burning or mixing properties of synthetic 2SO is a trip I made with a hanger. When I offloaded the hanger there was some greasy substance on the straps. This only on the left side of the hanger (exhaust). Though I have to admit that I filled up with double the advised dose (350 ml)

If the synthetic 2SO burns less complete can someone please explain why this is?
I am going to test the mixing properties myself and come back with my results later on.

Post #214389 21st Jan 2014 11:44 am
Ben Twillie

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

Buried somewhere in the previous 74 pages are the explanations why one should use, or not use, mineral or synthetic 2SO and the differences between FB, FC and FD.

IRRC the choice between mineral and synthetic is purely one of cost, so use the cheapest. FB is considered good for all NON DPF cars, FC should be used for DPF equipped cars and FD should NOT be used in DPF cars as it containes additives which MAY damage the DPF.

Post #214427 21st Jan 2014 6:16 pm
SigurD

Thanx Ben Twillie!

Post #214499 22nd Jan 2014 1:15 pm
Geordiemick

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

so ive a 57 plate, does it have, or not have a dpf and what 2 stroke would I use ???

Post #217873 24th Feb 2014 7:31 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

no it doesn't have a DPF and use the cheapest mineral 2SO you can find - it will have FB as part of its spec.

I am using 2SO from Morrisons Supermarkets as it is only £2 per half litre.

300mls per tankful of fuel is what is suggested. Seems obvious to put oil in first then fill with diesel so it gets well mixed.

Some folk here have said "I'm stopping using it" after first couple of fills because of extra smoke from exhaust. This is mentioned as a possible in the earlier parts of this thread and it says if this happens to you relax, it's the c Censored p being cleared away from within the parts of the engine that are affected, it will stop in a while (smoke not engine).

Post #217874 24th Feb 2014 7:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 73 of 93 <123 ... 727374 ... 919293>