« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Freelander boot not opening
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
calabash

2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

derrydimps wrote:
Wish it was that simple geoff, would have had it fixed days ago!!
It appears to be the solenoid down in the release catch mechanism which is not working, its enclosed in a black box about the size of a cigarette packet which an 'expert' is going to look at on Thursday so we should have some definite answers then. Not sure whether we can get into the black box or whether you have to replace the whole thing.

Hi derrydimps
My problem look like same as what you have, can you tell me how you go on with the repair?

Post #133571 26th Feb 2012 3:57 pm
derrydimps

New Zealand 

Hi Calabash
We did eventually get our problem sorted at our local dealer who had seen it before, it turned out to be the tailgate latch motor had seized up due to the failure of plastic parts. The whole tail latch has to be unbolted from the tailgate we did this ourselves in the process of trying to find out what was wrong with it......it saved the technician a couple of hours work and he replaced it with a whole complete unit. Hope this is of help to you, happy to answer any more questions.

Post #133613 27th Feb 2012 9:03 am
calabash

derrydimps wrote:
Hi Calabash
We did eventually get our problem sorted at our local dealer who had seen it before, it turned out to be the tailgate latch motor had seized up due to the failure of plastic parts. The whole tail latch has to be unbolted from the tailgate we did this ourselves in the process of trying to find out what was wrong with it......it saved the technician a couple of hours work and he replaced it with a whole complete unit. Hope this is of help to you, happy to answer any more questions.

Hi derrydimps,
Thanks for your replied and it's great and good to heard you get it sorted. I wanner to know at the time you unbolted the tail latch is that a tailgate was still CLOSED and LOCKED? As what I has done so far is same as your hubby did, got boot door lining off from the sides and top but bottom is underneath where it closes, and a "black box" showed up right in the centre on the bottem end with three bolts fixed inside between the metalplate of the boot door. Is that unbolt the black box from there and take it off, what else you has replaced and what it costs to the bills?
If its sounds like to me can be a DIY job then I'm happy to have a go and saved some $$$ for my kids school fees!!

Post #133677 27th Feb 2012 5:02 pm
derrydimps

New Zealand 

Hi Calabash
Yes, the latch was closed and locked the whole time, it stubbornly refused to open. Yes, you undo the three screws which is not easy and then that allows you to remove from the vehicle the whole locking mechanism, along with the black plastic cover which I then suggest you take to a dealer as the latch still has to be opened to release the catch and we didn't see how our mechanic did this. The locking mechanism will have to be replaced and we paid about $250 NZ for it and then the labour was on top as he put it all back together for us. To do this yourself would be too difficult as getting the latch open was virtually impossible without the right equipment, plus you have to get the right part, but you will save yourself a lot of money in the time taken to dismantle it which your mechanic would have to do anyway. Once you have the lock out you will have to tie the tailgate down from inside to stop it flying up, we used those stretchy cords with hooks on the end.

Post #133723 27th Feb 2012 8:49 pm
calabash

Hi derrydimps,
Many thanks for an info's and will try and have a look this week end. And just want to double check with you is that when take off the black box (locking mechanism) and the boot door (tailgate) can be now opened? also you mention on last post about "along with the black plastic cover" to which I'm not sure that 'COVER' where you mean, could you tell me more details to this please. Cheers.

Post #133949 29th Feb 2012 1:57 pm
derrydimps

New Zealand 

Hi Calabash
When you take off the locking mechanism, it should then come completely away from the car still locked with the hook part of the latch on one side of the sill cover and the part it hooks into on the other side of the sill cover. The plastic sill cover that I am referring to is black and about 2 feet long and is the trim that is inside the boot. We have got a 2008 Freelander 2 and yours could be different if you have a different model of car. Once you have this all out you won't be able to keep the boot shut unless you tie it down. Hope this helps...cheers.

Post #134281 1st Mar 2012 11:33 pm
calabash

Hi Derrydimps, thank you very much for your tips and now I have had finally get the boot door opened and dismantled the "Latch Assy - Tailgate" parts number LR014184 which what they call, also I been ordered the parts as well, and you know what, from Aussie supplier charged $215 incl. GST but if you can waite and spend 10 min's on the web's then it going to saved you $150 BUCKS Censored hell!! Yep, that's right I'll ordering to UK supplier and it's only costs £77.14 incl. p&p to your DOOR, you know what that means, it's telling whoever want anything but just dont get order here in Aussie! I'm happy to have it fixed at last once the parts arrive. Very Happy

p.s - To whom want to know how to get the tailgate opened via it's closed and locked, I can showed you step by step to dismantle a Latch Assy and or repair if still usable, please fill free to ask, by the way thanks for the helps from "Derrydimps" and to you all. Bow down

Post #134855 6th Mar 2012 2:15 pm
derrydimps

New Zealand 

Hi Calabash, thats great news that you have finally got the door open. Yes, it was an expensive exercise but I did not have the time to wait for it to come over the net and I didn't have time to put it back together again, but I did manage to save about 3 hours of the mechanics time by dismantling it myself....quite a challenge in itself !!! Glad to hear you will soon be up and running.

Post #134921 6th Mar 2012 7:50 pm
mozwal

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Indus Silver

Corner of coat stuck in tailgate latch, all classic symptom described earlier. Got in the back with the key fob and clicked and shoved until it popped open. Thanks all! Thumbs Up New to FL2

Post #206481 9th Nov 2013 7:13 pm
dsoftdave

United Kingdom 
Hi All

H Guys,
Looks like a good site and a good bunch of people.

My brother is having the same issues with his Free-lander 03, Tailgate not opening, but window does drop.

Would appreciate if someone could give me some step by step instructions, to see if I can save some money and fix it for him.
Or replace just the faulty part.

Hi calabash, tried to Pm but just a new user and would not let me let

Cheers Guys

Post #217455 20th Feb 2014 12:51 pm
tim_roberts

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

That's a Freelander 1. Try this site:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showforum=10

Post #217458 20th Feb 2014 1:06 pm
dsoftdave

United Kingdom 
Thanks

Ok many thanks and sorry not a car person,

Post #217459 20th Feb 2014 1:09 pm
moosefreelander2

2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Loire Blue

calabash wrote:
Hi Derrydimps, thank you very much for your tips and now I have had finally get the boot door opened and dismantled the "Latch Assy - Tailgate" parts number LR014184 which what they call, also I been ordered the parts as well, and you know what, from Aussie supplier charged $215 incl. GST but if you can waite and spend 10 min's on the web's then it going to saved you $150 BUCKS Censored hell!! Yep, that's right I'll ordering to UK supplier and it's only costs £77.14 incl. p&p to your DOOR, you know what that means, it's telling whoever want anything but just dont get order here in Aussie! I'm happy to have it fixed at last once the parts arrive. Very Happy

p.s - To whom want to know how to get the tailgate opened via it's closed and locked, I can showed you step by step to dismantle a Latch Assy and or repair if still usable, please fill free to ask, by the way thanks for the helps from "Derrydimps" and to you all. Bow down

Hi Calabash, would you be able to send a step by step instruction to dismantle the latch Assy? I cant get the black plastic tailgate moulding off! The one on the inside of the tailgate below the rear windscreen! My email is rgoh99@yahoo.com if it is more convenient. Thanks in advance, Cheers,

Post #226702 8th Jun 2014 5:04 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

This should help;

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/thumbnails....mp;sort=ta

Post #226706 8th Jun 2014 6:28 pm
moosefreelander2

2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Loire Blue

Thanks Wizking. Would u also know how to open the latch without taking it to the dealer?

Post #226725 9th Jun 2014 2:38 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>