Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Help please- non starter- UPDATE 4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Stef

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Caspian Blue
Help please- non starter- UPDATE 4

Hi

Having a mare. Mrs driving car shudders- limps home. Doesn't start AA man suspected no fuel even though it showed there was. Anyway, he topped it up then noticed air in fuel line.

He then topped up the filter to try to push air out allegedly. Didn't work. So i then stupidly took it to a local garage who has dicked around for 5 days Laughing and thought it was cam sensor coz he said he got that code Rolling Eyes anyway not sorted it...so annoyed.

Now probably have to take it to main dealer as mrs screaming. Spent 200 on a hire car. This geezer prob wants some dough for playing with it...

Any ideas what it could be Big Cry ? It turns over.. Apparently fuel pump working....I called an indie and he reckons it is the wax thermostat...

Please help me thank you

Last edited by Stef on 4th Nov 2013 2:36 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #204577 25th Oct 2013 6:55 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

I found this;

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic14576.html?highlight=start

Post #204589 25th Oct 2013 7:51 pm
Slaneydore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Have a read of this mate
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic14576.html?highlight=start
Have you had the freely for long, or is it just been bought and still under warranty Question BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders
The wanna be other half - http://www.freel2.com/forum/member-carriec.html

Post #204590 25th Oct 2013 7:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slaneydore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sorry wizking, looks like we both found the same link Embarassed BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders
The wanna be other half - http://www.freel2.com/forum/member-carriec.html

Post #204591 25th Oct 2013 7:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stef

Re: Help please- non starter

Stef wrote:
Hi

Having a mare. Mrs driving car shudders- limps home. Doesn't start AA man suspected no fuel even though it showed there was. Anyway, he topped it up then noticed air in fuel line.

He then topped up the filter to try to push air out allegedly. Didn't work. So i then stupidly took it to a local garage who has dicked around for 5 days Laughing and thought it was cam sensor coz he said he got that code Rolling Eyes anyway not sorted it...so annoyed.

Now probably have to take it to main dealer as mrs screaming. Spent 200 on a hire car. This geezer prob wants some dough for playing with it...

Any ideas what it could be Big Cry ? It turns over.. Apparently fuel pump working....I called an indie and he reckons it is the wax thermostat...

Please help me thank you

Thanks pal I read this and it's all so inclusive. I know it's hard to help on forums but am at wits end. I know these cars a complex but how someone can masquerade as a mechanic and not have a clue is beyond me.

Post #204592 25th Oct 2013 7:59 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

The problem with modern cars on fault finding is that many sensors can fail to operate correctly and yet such fault is not shown as 'fault code' on the plugged in FCR. It's often down to educated guesswork and a good dollop of luck. You cannot always slam the Mechanic.
You have to start somewhere and start replacing items.
The fault could be in the suggested link on this forum, equally it could be somthing different like the Mass Airflow Sensor.
Perhaps if you cost up the MAF, the crank sensor and its trigger ring and the cam sensor and start with replacing the cheapest item first and work in succession until you find the faulty item.
By choosing to 'do somthing' you are taking 'positive thinking' and stand a good chance of winning.
Costly? Yes but you will sort it. Procrastination is not a way forward.
Perhaps odd to write this at the end of my script - first I would unclip each wiring connector on the engine loom and plug/unplug 3 times to clean any surface oxidation before working in sucession to each connector. It might clean a dirty connection.
Kind regards from Fred 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #204612 25th Oct 2013 11:48 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

You need to use a good diagnostic technician, streams of live data ca be obtained at cranking , and crankshaft and cam sensors should be scoped.
A good diagnostic tool and good tech should find a non start fault in under an hour ! Trouble is so many garages and dealers don't have skilled staff.
I never start fitting any parts until I have checked the function and readings from all the sensors that are relevant to the issue.

One of the simple checks is freeze frame in EOBD , techs always overlook EOBD but its a good place to start as when a fault is flagged details of engine RPM and temp etc are freeze frame recorded when a fault flagged.
I have often found its been due to a wrong gear selected and an engine over revved momentarily causing a fault , and this gives me a better idea where too look !

A diesel is always good to fire up on easy start,if it starts then its fuel or sensor related ! At least you know it's mechanically sound !

If you find a garage ask him what diagnostic kit he's using ! If its Bosch KTS! Autodiagnos, IDS auto diagnose then they should be competent.. Even ask the if they are scope confident as your paying for their time Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #204620 26th Oct 2013 8:37 am
Stef

fredastaire wrote:
The problem with modern cars on fault finding is that many sensors can fail to operate correctly and yet such fault is not shown as 'fault code' on the plugged in FCR. It's often down to educated guesswork and a good dollop of luck. You cannot always slam the Mechanic.
You have to start somewhere and start replacing items.
The fault could be in the suggested link on this forum, equally it could be somthing different like the Mass Airflow Sensor.
Perhaps if you cost up the MAF, the crank sensor and its trigger ring and the cam sensor and start with replacing the cheapest item first and work in succession until you find the faulty item.
By choosing to 'do somthing' you are taking 'positive thinking' and stand a good chance of winning.
Costly? Yes but you will sort it. Procrastination is not a way forward.
Perhaps odd to write this at the end of my script - first I would unclip each wiring connector on the engine loom and plug/unplug 3 times to clean any surface oxidation before working in sucession to each connector. It might clean a dirty connection.
Kind regards from Fred

Thanks old geezer it am annoyed because this guy turned round and said he couldn't fix the last 3 freelander she had. He should never have accepted the job.

The car started on easy start but wouldn't hold so I am nervous. I think it may be fuel related if it couldn't keep going on own volition....

Post #204744 27th Oct 2013 10:43 am
Stef

So I picked up my motor from the back street geezer and he charged me for the cam sensor. Fair enough. But he didn't have a Scooby he used dephi diagnostic....
So I got it to land rover. Strange experience. Anyway am awaiting the diagnostic. Gave symptoms to the geezer and he reckons it's the fuel sender unit.... Would this make it a non starter?

Post #204929 28th Oct 2013 7:07 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I wonder....
The fuel tank level sensor for the fuel gauge has I think something built in to stop the engine if the fuel gets low such that it safely stops the car before it draws in air which could wreck the HP fuel pump on the engine.
so perhaps if the safety bit has failed in the tank................
Do please let us know the outcome.
Kind regards from Fred
. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #204951 28th Oct 2013 8:37 pm
Stef

I will for sure fredastaire. Knowing my luck it won't be this simple but I have also read about this engine shutdown if the sender unit breaks...so here is hoping..

Post #204954 28th Oct 2013 8:43 pm
Stef

Non starter update

So land rover had it for 4 days couldn't do anything as their systems were down due to the storm Big Cry anyway went on ramp today geezer thinks it's an electrical corroded wire...,fixes it and takes it out for a spin....great news it starts...and then he goes missing.......only breaks down and needs a tow back Censored

No idea still working on it...says their is lots of air in it still.... I knew that Rolling Eyes so what could it be.. Reckons it's mechanical rather than electrical Big Cry any ideas chaps?

Post #205347 31st Oct 2013 8:29 pm
Stef

so here goes....its in land rover....they check the fuel system top to toe (apparently) no idea what they will charge me for the privilege....but then I get the diagnosis....Cam Shaft sensor. It was the last thing they cheked because I told them I had just had a "new " one fitted....

But wait...didnt i get this done by my back street garge????? yes thats right........but according to Land Rover the part is not the right one. Certainly not genuine and certainly not working....

The irony is that when I picked up the car from the local man his last words were "I dont undertsand it as the diagnosis is still showing "Cam Sensor fault"....jesus wept..have I been done over here or is it my stupid fault for taking a recommendation and trying to save a few quid??. I just dont know. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I will belive it when I see it on Monday when its fixed..but, if so, surely I should be asking for my money back off the local man??? surely?. Censored

I just want/need the car back. Big Cry

Post #205427 1st Nov 2013 3:13 pm
Stef

Update 3

so now land rover are saying its not necessarily (they are being unclear as they have just chnaged the cam sensor that was previously just changed) the cam sensor BUT the timing belt that it talks to........

Apparently there is a magnet on the timing belt that the cam sensor communicates with...... Whistle Whistle Big Cry
anyone had this?

Post #205798 4th Nov 2013 1:03 pm
ad210358

England 

The Reluctor Ring by the sound of it, I had this problem with mine, it would start ok then would just die as though you had turned the engine off, throwing you forward in the process, then it would just start off as though you had turned the engine on again, throwing you back into the seat. It did not leave any fault codes on mine as it is the Reluctor Ring that makes the charge that the sensor picks up, as it was not making the charge intermittently no fault codes were stored.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic5041.html? p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #205813 4th Nov 2013 2:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>