Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Terrain response. Who uses it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Steve D

United Kingdom 
Terrain response. Who uses it?

Had mine nearly nine months now and living in the mild south have yet to come across a situation where I've had to use it. I bought the car mainly for the looks and driving position. Nearly bought a Disco 3 for its off-road capabilities too before I got the FL Laughing. Hands up all those in a similar situation. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #204121 21st Oct 2013 9:19 pm
Knoxy

Switzerland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Lago Grey

I think you are supposed to use it before you get into a situation as apposed to when you are in one Very Happy I've used a couple of the modes before now; sand: for making a quick getaway at the lights. and snow : for doing donuts in the car park in the snow (though you need to take the DSC off first) Rolling with laughter

Post #204124 21st Oct 2013 9:26 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Use it most days at work. Also often use Grass Gravel Snow when the roads are particularly wet or in a queue of traffic.

Post #204126 21st Oct 2013 9:32 pm
andycwb

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

What's the advantage to Grass/Gravel/Snow when in a queue of traffic? 2011 MY SD4 HSE + planning some interesting stuff
Previously: 2004 Discovery Td5 ES Premium + lots of stuff
Previously: P38A Range Rover 4.0 SE
Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response Founder and Treasurer

Post #204131 21st Oct 2013 9:49 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Grass Gravel Snow makes the accelerator response more progressive which in effects reduces the amount of power delivered for the same amount of accelerator travel and as a result smooths out acceleration. Also in a manual with anti-stall I find GGS allows me to put it into 1st gear and crawl forward without constantly applying brakes, dipping clutch etc.

Post #204133 21st Oct 2013 9:56 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I use mine, every day in normal mode Thumbs Up

GGS in exceptionally wet weather or snow

Mud/Ruts on wet fields whilst towing

Sand not very often at all due to living in yorkshire Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #204137 21st Oct 2013 10:18 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I find the terrain response obtrusive esp in mud and ruts as it puts the hill descent on and activates it when you dont want it. ggs is quite handy.

Ive never found a use for hill descent in either fl1 fl2 or rrs.

I find I actual use the air suspension on the RRS more than I thought , more clearence when on farm tracks, not estential but the grass in the middle of track rubs on the car too much otherwise. most of these tracks can be sriven on in any car, some fishermen often drive down it in a small (already beat up) peugeot At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #204144 21st Oct 2013 10:48 pm
j77

Scotland 

I use HDC in the snow, keeps the car nice and steady. Really depends on how steep the hill is. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #204176 22nd Oct 2013 12:04 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

I use GGS in winter (we get quite a bit of snow up here), and periodically M&R on a variety of fields, tracks, byways and UCRs. HDC can be very useful on steep snow-covered hills. Haven't found a use for sand mode yet - not much sand one can drive on in the UK.

In practice the FL2 (properly driven) will go pretty much everywhere it'll go in special program modes in normal mode, the programs just make it easier. Perhaps the biggest advantage of M&R, for example, is the reduced throttle response - it stops the power surges you'd otherwise get over rough terrain as the accelerator pedal bounces up and down under your foot!

Post #204181 22nd Oct 2013 1:02 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I used the TR in anger once when towing the caravan in Norway Exclamation I was at over 62 deg north with sat nav set for the required camp site GPS coordinates and I must have got one digit wrong. Embarassed Thinking I was near the site and following the S/N, I turned on to small relatively unmade road in woodland that quickly got very loose and uphill. I felt the steering "grab" a couple of times as the tyres slipped so I promptly selected GGS. As a result, the car quickly shrugged off the fact it was on a loose surface plus towing 1450kg and just drove uphill like it was solo! It felt so confident I continued as the road was single track with no place to turn. I continued uphill for about a mile before the road then turned downhill bringing me round in a loop. It was then we met a huge logging truck on its way up Shocked . We both stopped and I backed up about 50 metres or so before we could pass. Thankfully we recovered to metalled road soon after and I re-set the sat nav to find I was just a couple of km from the site. Whistle It turned out I had strayed on to a logging trail! Very impressed with the Freelander and the caravan was none the worse for its experience, apart from the liberal coating of dust everywhere, that is! Cool 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #204212 22nd Oct 2013 4:24 pm
bobtail4x4

United Kingdom 

I tried the mud and ruts the other day, side slope on track, next to a horse paddock,

only when I thought I had passed did it slide, unlike the toyota pickup that was sideways.

Post #204227 22nd Oct 2013 5:49 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Pick-ups are hopeless unless there's some weight in the back - empty all the weight is up front giving a nice pivot point for the tail to swing around!

Post #204231 22nd Oct 2013 6:25 pm
WizzardPrang

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Use M&R, GGS when greenlaning and GGS in the snow last winter. Sand a few times for quick getaways Wink 2020 Defender D200 110S Pangea Green
Gone: 2018 L550, TD4 SE Tech Auto, Carpathian Grey
Gone: Defender 90 200Tdi, Grey Raptor
Gone: 2012 FL2, TD4 GS Manual, Santorini Black

Post #204388 24th Oct 2013 12:06 am
Legoman

United Kingdom 

Never used it, car copes well without it.

Post #204402 24th Oct 2013 9:27 am
jutrem

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tonga Green

I use "Terrain Response" all the time in the Winter (Canadian). "Grass, Gravel, Snow" mode whenever there is more than a few inches of snow (or freezing rain). I also live in a new construction zone, so "Mud and Ruts" mode also gets used.

They truck will cope if you don't adjust the "Terrain Response" but it will handle the situation better when you do select the appropriate mode. I sometimes forget to switch back to normal mode when I back on the main road trying to accelerate under the limited performance of "Mud and Ruts" mode. But then again I also read the LR2 's manual, and I also used the rear audio controls (now unavailable).

Land Rover probably developed the 2013 Range Rovers "Auto Sensing" mode for "Terrain Response" because new owners where not manually adjusting (Terrain Response) when needed (i.e before they get stuck) Rolling with laughter .

Post #204453 24th Oct 2013 5:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1