Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Turbo and other troubles!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
thishya.weragoda

2010 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Turbo and other troubles!

Greetings from Sunny Sri Lanka,

Exactly 2 years ago I bought a FL2 SD4 GS from UK and imported it to Sri Lanka. Its been a true pleasure to drive the contraption and I've been loving it. The downside is the agents here are a big ripoff and parts are very expensive and most of the time have to be imported from UK.

About a month ago, true to its reputation in Sri Lanka that Landrovers are true "English Patients" the vehicle started giving trouble. On the clock it says 45000mi which translates to about 60000km.

First they said that the Propeller Shaft has worn out and needs to be replaced. 500GBP and 2 months later, that issue was sorted, but the Reduced Engine performance indicator and the check engine bulb kept on popping up. Now I'm told that the Turbo Unit if faulty and that it is leaking at around 2000RPM. When the vehicle is accelerated it sounds as if its a low flying airplane at 25km/h.

then there's also an engine miss at times. especially after a cold start or in temperatures of around 25 C. The fan works for a few min after the engine is shut down. and now i'm being told that there's also an oil leak from the engine.

the weird part is, the only error code that is shown is that there's a defect in the air flow sensor. nothing else.

anyone had these kind of issues at the same time, or is it just my bad luck?

Post #203986 21st Oct 2013 6:59 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Not heard of a propeller shaft wearing out before!

The first thing to check is the hoses leading from the turbo - there have been several cases of these hoses splitting and causing both the kind of noise you're reporting and reduced performance.

The misfire could be something like a blocked fuel filter, but if you have a faulty air flow sensor it could equally be that, so that needs to be sorted before looking elsewhere.

When you refer to a 'cold start' what temperatures are we talking about - I suspect not what we in the UK would call a cold start Smile

Post #204009 21st Oct 2013 9:57 am
thishya.weragoda

Certainly not temperatures that you get in the UK. but for Colombo anything below 28C is considered cold.

I was told that the turbo is leaking near the mouth of the unit and needs replacement. I hope it is just the hose which is damaged and not the unit.

seems like this thread discusses the same sort of issues in the FL2. http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic16502-15.html

So I guess its not as bad as they made it sound at the garage. I will ask them to check the FL2 2011 SD4 GS Santorini Black

Post #204040 21st Oct 2013 2:25 pm
alex_pescaru

The turbo is not leaking on the mouth of the unit... That oil is from the crankcase recirculation system...
Here's a picture with my turbo and the oil at the turbo's entry... And my turbo is just fine...
Ask for a second opinion if you can...

Post #204113 21st Oct 2013 8:50 pm
thishya.weragoda

Thanks for all the input. I did go to another place which sort of specializes in Turbo related issues. To see, the issue is that LR002589 - Intercooler Hose is ruptured and is leaking directly towards the radiator.

they also said that there's some exhaust leak from some part on the Turbo unit but can be serviced and re-fitted.

I'm so glad I went for a second opinion. Seems like I saved up on quite a bit Very Happy

There's only three places in Sri Lanka which have the proper capacity to handle LR and none of them bothered to check for the simplest of things. a ruptured hose. they almost replaced everything. bloody Censored

oh well. now for the long wait for the part to arrive. FL2 2011 SD4 GS Santorini Black

Post #204238 22nd Oct 2013 6:58 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

did you drive in a lot of long grass/straw? this can wrap round propshafts and get into the bearings, or even rub and cause fires At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #204256 22nd Oct 2013 8:48 pm
thishya.weragoda

nope.. just on normal roads. that's what I don't get. maybe it wasn't the prop-shaft at all. maybe the mechanics just made me pay for something that I didn't have to replace. Censored Censored Censored Censored FL2 2011 SD4 GS Santorini Black

Post #204288 23rd Oct 2013 3:22 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1