« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Disco Td5 to Freelander SD4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
andycwb

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand
Disco Td5 to Freelander SD4

Morning all... My Td5 disco is getting a bit long in the tooth and a D4 is a bit outside my budget. Thinking of a FL2 SD4 rather than a D3.

I guess I'm trading air suspension, space, and off-road capability (none of which I really need) for lower running and purchase costs.

Anyone else done this change and got any thoughts?

Post #202421 9th Oct 2013 7:18 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Not changed from a TD5 to a D4 but for the same reasons above, I chose a FL2 over a D3 when getting my first 4WD vehicle. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #202424 9th Oct 2013 7:42 am
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Discovery 3 looks slab sided the freelander 2 is your best bet as it looks better and does well off road, the disco td5 is great I prob would keep it going considering the costs involved. I always see my landys as old friends lol When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #202426 9th Oct 2013 8:25 am
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I had a Disco 2 TD5 for 8 years and 225k miles which despite (probably because of) it's tractor like characteristics, sluggish performance but fantistically practical, was the (2nd!!) love of my life

Anyway, reliability had become a real issue and I assumed that i would buy a D4, so booked a test drive in a D4 and a FL2 just for interest. I preferred the FL2 and bought a SD4 XS

I suppose it really depends on what you want the car for. The D4 is huge (even compared to a D2). I don't need 7 seats and I rarely tow a horse box now . The FL2 is much more "car" like to drive, a rocket compared to D2, very comfortable ride and spacious inside. My only real criticism is that the boot is very small, but overall very happy with my choice.

Steve

Post #202431 9th Oct 2013 9:45 am
chrisdeeming

Yes the boot really lets it down with the high floor and arches in the way When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #202446 9th Oct 2013 12:24 pm
andycwb

I'd already come to the conclusion I need to review camping gear and/or have more stuff on the roof for a camping trip - but I do that about 3-4 times a year so it's not much of a concern. No kids or dogs to transport, so most of the time its down to getting myself (or me and the wife) around.

With 120k covered in the Disco, I need to make a change before it becomes unreliable, but not necessarily immediately.

Interestingly, even after 48 hrs of thinking about this, I'm still thinking the LR2 is the sensible option.

Andy

Post #202462 9th Oct 2013 3:56 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

I went from a TD5 to the Freelander and have no regrets at all,I have been very pleased with it.

Post #202473 9th Oct 2013 4:57 pm
edamball

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I changed from D3 to FL2 about six months ago now. While I do miss the driving position and load space (although used not that regularly) the FL2 ticks all my boxes.

I used to have a Td5 and after driving a D4 always felt the D3 was a halfway house between the tractor and luxury car and not quite a perfect package.

My TD4 HSE is certainly every bit as much fun to drive and a more comfortable place to be. Although the Discovery still turns my head when I see one.

Go for it. I don't think you would regret it.

Post #202479 9th Oct 2013 5:47 pm
sandpit

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I made the change 18 Months ago TD5 to SD4, there are some trade off's luggage space a little narower although with the SD4 having a lift up tailgate you can accommodate longer items, and some benefits - fuel economy better, comfortable ride and found it good for towing even with the Auto box.
So far very pleased with the SD4.

Post #202481 9th Oct 2013 5:57 pm
j77

Scotland 

The Freelander 2 is a fantastic car, simple to drive and powerful enough for most things.

My one true love though was my D3, it let me down a lot, a new engine under warranty at 2 1/2 years old, with about 20,000 on the clock. Would have it back in a shot.

I sold it because I didn't need a large car and the running costs were starting to take the joy out of it. I'm on my 3rd Fl2, the one I have at the moment to get what kit it has on a D4 would push my budget through the roof.

Overall though I done the right thing......................................... I think.

Head - Fl2
Heart - Discovery 4 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #202483 9th Oct 2013 6:00 pm
ad210358

England 

I went from a TD5 to a Freelander, was impressed, I didn't think it would be so much better, quicker, nippier, pulled so much better, only thing I didn't like was I couldn't get quite as comfy in a Freelander, with the TD5 it was just comfier, door was just the right height to rest your arm, the armrest was the right height and the seating position, something I couldn't just get right with the Freelander. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #202485 9th Oct 2013 6:10 pm
tyke65

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue

When I traded in my TDI 300 for a Disco 3 and then a Freelander 2 I kept the boot floor cover. The FL2 boot is only marginally smaller than the TDI boot in width and the same depth (front to back). Disco much bigger of course.

Post #202486 9th Oct 2013 6:18 pm
LRswe

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I have come from a TD5 to the LR2 as well, to be honest, there is nothing in this car I havent done in the Defender. Its cheaper, and in two years, all I have done is change tyres, oil and filters.

Post #202547 9th Oct 2013 9:28 pm
andycwb

The deed has been done.

SD4 HSE in Ipanema Gold with Almond leather interior + roof rails (which I specifically want for mounting aerials on). 42000 miles, 3 years old, 1 or 2 years warranty depending on whether I take their finance deal (to be decided tonight).

Andy

Post #202887 13th Oct 2013 2:52 pm
chrisdeeming

Whoop get the 2 years but only if it's a proper approved lr warranty not this stratstone crap! Not worth the paper it's written on When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #202888 13th Oct 2013 3:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>