Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > HDC Fault - car won't start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
bill

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I also have a problem with the HDC System Failure message coming up when I try to start my 09 GS TD4 Auto. More often than not it does eventually start albeit reluctantly. If not I have to call out my recovery service, Green Flag, as my power pack is not 'man' enough to start it.

My main dealer Hammonds of Halesworth has tried to find the problem on several occasions with no success. The battery was replaced about 18 months ago as a desperate measure. It's very frustrating as I just don't trust the vehicle any more and am now just trying to get it fixed and get rid of it !

Bill

Post #177830 29th Mar 2013 10:30 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
HDC

No doubt you have an earthing fault.
May I suggest you do a full search on this forum on battery earth cables. There is a wealth of information on here.
To abbreviate it; you need to buy and fit a new earth cable between the battery earth terminal and the bodyshell, its inside the bulkhead; make sure that you clean the bodysteel at the earthbolt to shiny and apply vaseline to stop future corrosion. I am not sure about whether you should equally do the same to the earth strap beteen the chassis leg and gearbox. Faults have been found in that the copper has turned verdegris green INSIDE its plastic sheath. Then go belt a braces and fit a supplementary new earth cable between the battery negative terminal and the starter motor top bolt, you will need 1.5 metres with tags crimped and soldered each end, cost about a tenner. Just tywrap it to the main electric harness with black tywraps and it looks OE.
I'm 99% sure that for the sake of a few quid and an hours easy work that your problems will go away and you definitely dont need to change the car.
I did it and have never seen HDC again in 2,000 miles since the repair / modification
Kind regards and good luck.

Please would ypu keep the forum updated 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #177831 29th Mar 2013 11:07 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

^^^^

Excellent post.

Post #177832 29th Mar 2013 11:10 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Bill, fit an earth cable as described above but also fit another from the battery post to the engine block direct, i fitted mine under one of the starter bolts on the bell housing.

Two dealers failed to ever find the same problem as your in 18 months , mine two wouldn't turn over fast enough if it was below zero degrees ! plus i got the bonus of HDC fault. engine reduced power and hosts of other issues but once extra cable fitted ( That I asked the land-rover dealers to fit so many times only to be assured it didn't need them ) I too have never had a problem with starting even at -10 and no messages popping up and no wipers doing a single random sweep.

I just concluded that dealers don't have a clue once they are out of their normal service mode. I just got totally exasperated in the end by their total incompetence.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic8712.html?highlight=earth+cable

There are some pictures in my gallery of fitted earth strap. Thumbs Up

Post #177911 29th Mar 2013 6:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12