« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Fault code reader
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Geordiemick

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
Fault code reader

Just wondering if anyone knows what reader is available to read codes on a 1999 freelander 2.0 d and also a 57 plate freelander 2 or if any has purchased one and could point me in the right direction. maybe around the £50.00 mark, I read in another posting about this app called torque for your smartphone but cant remember where i seen it and also what lead is required to link it to the car/phone if the original poster can give me a few pointers in the right direction or if its worth getting id much appreciate it.

Post #177289 25th Mar 2013 7:39 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

To be fair to you any fault code reader that is available for arround the £50 mark will be very limited on the codes that it can access and there will be codes it will not be able to read. If your interested in a full in depth look then your going to have to spend some hard cash.
The cheap ones will give you some idea some of the time but you would still have to have the car placed on better equipped dianostics and reset tools to trace and reset monitors etc. Thumbs Up

Post #177300 25th Mar 2013 8:18 pm
Geordiemick

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Cheers for the reply Thumbs Up , You get what you pay for i suppose, with all the problems lately with my car and a trip to the local garage at £40 a shot to diagnose any problems, just thought maybe buying one would be worth while. at least id be half way there in knowing what the problem was.

Post #177304 25th Mar 2013 8:23 pm
superspark

Hi, its a shame you don't live near me, I would gladly plug my meter in and read your codes for you for a pint of beer, I have a near dealership level meter. I had one that cost £200, it was good but didn't do all I wanted it to do so made the plunge and spent £2000.
Now this meter not only reads all fault codes including historic ones but will reset all monitors and will check all moduals and you can test operations of windows and switches, egr valve, aircon to name but a few. Its an amazing bit of kit all touch screen and has already saved me a small fortune when diagnoising problems and resetting monitors Thumbs Up

Post #177364 26th Mar 2013 10:39 am
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

Which one did you get Superspark? I used to have Rovacom Lite for my TD5 which was great but no use with the FL2. I have a T69 code reader which is OK for general use (it reads live data etc.) but I am thinking of getting something a bit more professional. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #177371 26th Mar 2013 11:27 am
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

superspark wrote:
it was good but didn't do all I wanted it to do so made the plunge and spent £2000.

Blimey! do they ever do BOGOF offers on that type? Wink

Post #177376 26th Mar 2013 11:36 am
Boroboy

United Kingdom 
Re: Fault code reader

Geordiemick,
I can tell you that an Autel Maxiscan MS509 does not work on an FL2, tried it myself, when suffering from a clogged fuel filter & low engine performance light came on. Code reader said no codes stored. Land Rover Assist guy found two, relating to low fuel pressure.
Now my 08 FL2 is out of warranty, I'm too looking for cheaper code reader. As long as I can read & delete them, would be happy with that. I'll let you know when I eventually find one that works.
Don't want to spend £300 on Hawkeye, for the times I will prob need to use it.
I think the FL2 is Can. Yet the ms509 was suppose to read can protocol. Landy has now gone.

Post #177381 26th Mar 2013 11:52 am
fisha

I've successfully used an elm327 kit from eBay (£16) on the fl2.

It only returns engine management codes, but that's all I needed it for as the engine light came n when my turbo died.

The basic software was enough to get me the code that I could then look up on the net.

Post #177383 26th Mar 2013 11:56 am
superspark

Hi, I bought the new Autel MaxiDAS DS708 Diagnostic System (Updated). Now on offer, found this machine very capable and not just on landrover Thumbs Up

Post #177479 26th Mar 2013 9:02 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

Superspark,
There's me moaning about the cost of Hawkeye Laughing Yours should be close to OEM quality then? Landy has now gone.

Post #177512 26th Mar 2013 11:27 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

So is the Hawkeye any good for general DIY type diagnostics and easy to use by a numpty? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #177523 27th Mar 2013 7:35 am
bambi68

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Zermatt Silver

I bought a £55 reader of eBay, it did the d3 and mums Citroen , It works ok and it talks to my Volkswagen van, and a mini, I will look what it's called and find the dealer when I get home.

Post #177541 27th Mar 2013 10:22 am
superspark

The new Autel MaxiDAS DS708 Diagnostic System is very user friendly, the touch screen guides you through operations screen by screen and you can do a compleate dianostic test of all systems and components or you can do just individual ones depending on what you want to check.
I like the way I can test the operation of all the different switches/controls from electric windows to heated seats and so on.
Ive found in the settings "special funtions" you can program windows, reset oil service and program new keys.
I was playing with it the other day and theres pages of tests which you can command the ECU to make.
When driving the meter will then test that the abs sensors,haldex unit etc are all working correctly.
When doing a full scan you can watch it on the screen all the fuctions its testing and then passing or failing them intern and logging fault codes etc.
As the freelander 2 relies on communication between several different moduals you need a more indepth meter than can comunicate with every thing.
hee is also free updates for the first year then after that you have to pay but you can pay for the ones that you want.
This meter is also not locked to one vin or one car and can be used on almost every car manafacture.
Ive found this to be of great use to me as I have also sorted out cars of friends of mine on several other makes of car from vauxhall to fords.
The unit comes with all the leads and connections for connection to most makes of car. I was a little worried about spending so much money to start with but after using it my fears soon left and im very happy with it. This meter will not programe every part of the car like reprograming door control moduals but it will tell you what is wrong saving you money in the first place, if you are looking for a meter that will programe every thing as well expect to pay upwards of £5,000 Its a big thumbs up from me

Post #177543 27th Mar 2013 10:33 am
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

On offer at £1200 at the moment!

http://www.diagnostics4u.com/prod/39/autel...tAodLFQAZw John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #177556 27th Mar 2013 11:29 am
superspark

Thats a lot of meter for the money, just think, how much you would spend on visits to the dealers over a period of time. If your like me and can replace faulty items yourself after diagnosing them then go for it.

Post #177597 27th Mar 2013 3:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>