Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Dealer potential position on warranty.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stubbenoldgit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt Silver
Dealer potential position on warranty.

When I purchased my LR2 from a LR dealer, will call them D1 I asked them to adjust the handbrake as I was used to less free play.

I think they did nothing and got the "It's within spec, They all do that type of response."

So the handbrake worked fine, but a year later it has now started sticking on a small amount when first pulling away. Vehicle still with mfr warranty, and well within the used approved warranty.

LR dealer local to me call hem D2, not same group as D1 but still official LR dealer, has not seen it yet, but booked in for a look. Yet their advance stance is that if the other LR dealer D1 has adjusted it, and in opinion of D2 dealer has adjusted it incorrectly which has lead to the sticking, then any work will not be handled under warranty as it was not the responsibility of D2.

But in the next breath they say, it's not dealers who approve warranty work but LR. That I know and understand.

I'm having difficulty getting my head round this stance. I could understand if any work had been done by none LR approved shop, but it hasn't. Only work done on it since bought is by D2.

Any advice /opinions?

Post #174484 7th Mar 2013 1:36 pm
steve t

United Kingdom 

I would say a sticking handbrake and handbrake adjustment are 2 totaly differnt things unless D1 had adjusted it too much causing the brake to bined but reading the post this isnt the case as you are talkn bout a year down the line.

Been blunt and to the point,You have a sticking handbrake and i would say a year down the line theres only maybe the weather to blame for this not a dealer.

Dont think i would worry bout it too much as who ever you talked to at D2 was prob just some1 that takes calls not some1 thats clear on the working of the handbrake its self.If this is the case i can understand why it was explained in the way it was but with that said they would have no choice at this time to cover there own back just incase.

Post #174490 7th Mar 2013 2:50 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I don't know how D2 would be able to tell if D1 has adjusted it incorrectly, especially after a year Shocked

I'm not sure if handbrake adjustments are covered under the warranty though, but if a part has failed and causing it to stick then it might be

but to answer your question, LR do approve the warranty claims, not the dealer, if D1 was paid to correct a handbrake issue and they haven't done so, D2 may not be approved to take on the work, and you have to revisit D1 to correct their error, but 12 months later, I think they laugh at that one Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #174491 7th Mar 2013 2:54 pm
taztastic

England 

Your asking Dealer 2 to fix the problem potentially caused by dealer 1, they are right in their stance, the problem was not caused by them but Dealer 1 and that is where you should go.

Dealer 1 will have a record of work on the handbrake, if dealer 2 claims under warranty then potentially LR could see that D1 had done something and dismiss the claim, leaving D2 out of pocket.

At the end of the day it is more likely to be the weather, every time I was my car the handbrake sticks on, it rusts due to the water and sticks, all my cars have done this.

Post #174492 7th Mar 2013 3:29 pm
GSMY11

2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

I doubt if this is a warranty job in any case. My experience this winter was that the handbrake started sticking and there was no question of it being done under warranty. The car is 21/2 years old and done 44,000 miles. As far as dealer was concerned it was "wear and tear" of consumable parts. Sorry, but I wouldnt hold out much hope of getting this fixed under warranty.

Post #174498 7th Mar 2013 4:58 pm
Stubbenoldgit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt Silver

OK perhaps in trying to give a bit of background I've made us get tangled up in some irrelevant details.

I fully expect to pay for the adjustment, freeing off, any consumables etc. That's not the issue.

The issue of warranty only came up because there was disagreement on the warranty end date, the person in D2 was completely wrong about the expiry dates. Thus they probably thought I was wanting this h/b done on warranty, which I'm not.

It's a more general point which seems to be, if D1 does some work which is either faulty or causes another issue and you happen to take it to D2, for whatever reason, then it seems you are on your own with no help to sort it or resolve the issue under the LR umbrella.

Previous vehicles, indeed our second vehicle, repairs were/are seemingly warranted for x months throughout the network according, at least how it's written.

Post #174508 7th Mar 2013 6:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1