Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Potential new owner - NOW AN OWNER!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Kal-El

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
Potential new owner - NOW AN OWNER!

Hello people, I am new to the forum and might be purchasing this weekend from Guy Salmon in Wakefield.

I currently own a Freelander 1 manual (basic spec) and am looking at buying a 60 plate SD4 XS in Stornoway Grey. The dealer has been good with negotiation over the phone and I am going for a spin this Saturday.

Fortunately, my uncle who drives an FL2 manual, let me have his car for a long weekend to get a feel for it as I was originally going for a manual (scare stories about clutch issues put me off). Lovely motor and I did like the manual but it seemed a little slow off the mark for my liking, to say there is an increase in power over my FL1.

Can anyone advise before my test drive on how smooth the SD4 is for gear change? I have heard that it's not that great compared to the TD4 and that because of the extra power, the kickdown can be a little sudden?

Sorry for so many questions but I am just curious about potential ownership.

1: Do you guys use command shift in snow to enable slowing down safely? (looking at getting some winter tyres anyway)
2: For experienced SD4 owners, is there a noticeable difference in acceleration over the TD4? (particularly over the manual)
3: I will be using mine for commuting to work which involves a 32 mile round trip along the A38 every day so will this help against DPF issues? (very little slow town driving)
4: Can you get high 30's or 40mpg without driving like a nun?

Many thanks in advance for guidance.

Dave.

Last edited by Kal-El on 11th Aug 2012 4:56 pm. Edited 4 times in total

Post #150572 8th Aug 2012 7:18 pm
Kal-El

Added bonus by the way! The car is due it's 2nd service (major) in December so Guy Salmon will do that service before I collect. Very Happy

27k miles on the clock

Post #150574 8th Aug 2012 7:19 pm
Bugblatter

United Kingdom 

1. There hasn't been any snow since I got mine, but I tend to think auto would be better. Unlike old fashioned auto boxes, modern cars will slow down if you ease off the gas.
2. Mine is a TD4, but some SD4 owners have said the difference isn't huge
3. Should do.
4. I would expect you to get over 30mpg unless you spend a lot of time in traffic, or you have a lead foot! 2013 RR Evoque Pure Tech
2012 TD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey - gone

Post #150578 8th Aug 2012 7:38 pm
Kal-El

Thanks for that.

My uncle drives with a lead foot and gets low 30's or mid 30's generally in a manual. I was hoping with more steady driving I could equal or better that. My theory being that the extra power will not require as much throttle to get motoring along Confused

Anyone else got any thoughts on my questions?

Post #150579 8th Aug 2012 7:54 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

1. No snow since I got mine either but the auto does change down as you slow and brake so the engine braking is good.

2. I had the TD4 manual for 2 years and although I loved the car, the auto is much quicker and the SD4 has fantastic mid range grunt.

3. I do a 28 mile daily round trip and have not (fingers crossed) had any DPF issues. Only had it just over 3 months though.

4. I have had 43 on a run but I was taking it easy. Overal I tend to get 34 ish on the daily round trip and have averaged just under 36 since I got her.

Best thing about the car..... The smile I have every time I drive her. Very Happy

Post #150581 8th Aug 2012 7:59 pm
athelstan

Kal-El
Never heard of any Derbyshire men folk that want to lounge around on an auto box instead of initiating a driver's gear change Shocked Oh well, youngsters of today - all bling and no zing. Banging Head

The Fl2 manual gear box will (in the right driver's hands - i.e a gentleman) get you off the mark faster than the auto box and , in critical overtaking manoeuvres see you safely past quicker than hanging around for the FL2 auto box. Only the latest 8 speed auto accompanying MY2012+ D4, RRS, and FFRR comes close.

Refinement is in the hands of the driver, as is safety.

So let's move on to snow. The manual box fitted to her Ladyship's MY2010 FL2 performs together with the TR and DSC superbly well in all kinds of snow and their depths. Remember, it is a truism that it's the driver that gets stuck - not the Land Rover. She has never not made it to one of her patients up in these mountains in her manual FL2 - blizzard or no blizzard down to minus 30°C+. The only irritating performance characteristic with the manual box in extreme cold alpine winters is the fact that on engine start-up (she does have FFBH fitted) that the gear change 1st to 2nd is very stiff due to gear box oil viscosity. This however disappears after approximately 10 minutes.

There are however two areas in which the FL2 auto box may out-perform the manual box: firstly in reverse gear. The auto is smoother on take off and I feel the reason for this is that the manual's reverse ratio is too high and to reverse you will need to apply a firm foot to the accelerator pedal to avoid a stall. The second area is when towing. I have personally not experienced this but it has oft been remarked here on FreeL2 that the auto box is preferred by those that tug a "papier mäché" abode behind them find that that interface preferable. However, with such a dubious choice of residence it is indeed questionable if that that community is suitably endowed to evaluate objectively the efficacy of a selective vie none selective gear interface. Rolling Eyes

Finally TD4 vis SD4 - cannot assist here as I've never driven the SD4. Suffice to say that if you drive the TD4 proficiently then the TD4 will put a smile on your face, and, dismay on those that you have just left behind. In a manual of course Thumbs Up

So fair well in your final choice - and happy FL2 motoring. It is a much more capable vehicle than is often given credit for Very Happy

And, the manual will save you £££££ in fuel costs per annum compared to the thirsty auto Bow down

Last edited by athelstan on 8th Aug 2012 8:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #150585 8th Aug 2012 8:51 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

auto and stornaway Thumbs Up

Post #150588 8th Aug 2012 8:55 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Auto again? I am in camp Athelstan but my mate at work has one. A bali blue colour. Cadburys hmmm LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Last edited by The Doctor on 8th Aug 2012 9:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #150590 8th Aug 2012 9:00 pm
Kal-El

Thanks for the input.

I guess I will see what happens this weekend. Purple not my cup of tea but red looks good

Post #150593 8th Aug 2012 9:04 pm
ad210358

England 

Not sure on the saving on the ££££££ Athelstan, there is less than 1 mpg difference between my SD4 than my old manual.

Post #150607 8th Aug 2012 10:15 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

1. Snow is easy leave it in auto and let her work her magic. Ice now that needs respect, if you can, avoid it in any vehicle, if not then command shift into first and leave it there.
2. Mines a TD4 and love it - so no help there.
3. I suspect that you will be OK, just don't drive like a nun. My old car doesn't have DPF Very Happy
4. Never driven like a nun so 28-32mpg is my average, older spec vehicles aren't as economical as newer spec so this should be the worst case. Unless like Pinky you spend all your time tootling around town or dragging a van. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #150614 8th Aug 2012 10:44 pm
Kal-El

Well I secured the car with a fully refundable £250 deposit today and the payment terms have been agreed. I just didn't want to avoid disappointment at such a great deal. I just have to inspect it and drive it to make sure I don't want my deposit back Laughing

Looking forward to it and I will ask the dealer for background on any warranty work carried out to make sure it's not a Friday car. Although at least I won't have to worry about clutch and flywheel problems.

Thanks for the input so far Thumbs Up

Post #150688 9th Aug 2012 8:28 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Good choice Bow down
I've a manual but wished I gone for an auto.
Wise move. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #150694 9th Aug 2012 10:19 pm
Kal-El

Thanks Pegleg.

I did like the manual that my uncle borrowed me but I had some reservations and I had a clutch failure on my FL1 last year. I just pray for reliability overall Confused

I like the look of the arm rests for relaxed motoring and I hope the auto promotes relaxed driving despite the extra power because I am a bit heavy footed with the FL1 (although it is hard work to get any swift performance being underpowered for it's size and weight)

The only thing I am not keen on is the chrome strip on the boot Rolling Eyes . I prefer the pre-facelift rear end.

Post #150695 9th Aug 2012 10:33 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

The rather tacky chrome strip is known technically on this forum as the ............
Chrome Ar Censored se piece. Honest.

Please keep us informed of your new purchase and welcome to the club Thumbs Up Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #150700 9th Aug 2012 10:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>