Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > No holiday for the FR2 this year
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
athelstan

Do you have to pass a driving/towing test to get a licence to do so in Blighty now Question

Or does everyone just hitch-up and work it out as you go along leaving mayhem in your wake Rolling Eyes

Here in Switzerland to tow a caravan you first have to have held a full driving licence for more than the first 2 provisional years after passing your driving test. And, that that licence must be clear of any traffic regulation infringements - excepting parking fines.

Then you can (and must) take the obligatory towing driving course - not cheap - allocate GBP£750 for on test track "road" practise and classroom teaching. After passing that you then take your actual test - allocate GBP£200. As with all costs in CH they vary dependent upon the Kantone in which you live, which is why I use the word "allocate".

Okay so now your driving licence will be amended to indicate that you are permitted to tow. Well done - but do not cause an accident whilst towing within the first 2 years or you may find that you'll have your permit revoked and you'll have to go back to towing school all over again.

The same also applies to towing any kind of trailer - school and test and the fees. And, the towing permit is axle restricted - one test for single axle and another for twin. All to do with weight.

As military service is compulsory for all Swiss chaps aged 18 to 45 (conscientious objectors can opt out and do "social" service instead) so they try and get in a spell at military driving school if they already hold a civilian driving licence and do their towing test there to save all this money.

Post #147514 3rd Jul 2012 10:51 am
muddywheels

England 

I have never plucked up the courage to tow abroad - to many things can go wrong Embarassed

Guy on caravan forum just now has had a nightmare trip - dipstick blew out first (£1200 repair), then blew a tyre on van and fitted spare in 33 deg heat, then second blow out on van and no spare left so had to be towed off autoroute to find nobody has the right size spare, missed eurotunnel connection and had to rebook and had to abandon van so awaiting it being repatriated Shocked

I used to tour europe without van and that was stressful enough Rolling Eyes Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #147516 3rd Jul 2012 11:12 am
athelstan

Muddywheels
Touring a la continent is terrific fun - especially on a Brit or Italian motorbike, or in a Morgen or TVR - all professionally prepared beforehand. Very Happy

But I must admit because of traffic volumes and inexplicable draconian traffic regulations it just isn't as pleasant as when I first started doing so in the early 1970's. Back then you truly could have the road frequently almost all to yourself. That sadly, happens very rarely nowadays. Big Cry

Post #147519 3rd Jul 2012 11:35 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Yes you now have to take an additional test if you want to tow with a heavy combination ie exceeding 3.5 tons (tonnes?). Based on the maximum weight of the car, and the trailer must not exceed the weight (Unladen?) of the towcar.
So you could in theory tow a 1.1 ton caravan with a VW Golf, but not with a much heavier and more stable FL2 Exclamation

Doesn't make sense on soo many levels.

How difficult can it be? Load the van/trailer up, hook it on the back, remember to put the kids in the car and drive.
The trailer follows the car, has it's own brakes, and lights, if your inept and can't reverse unhook it and do it by hand, or practice on a disused carpark on a sunday the weekend before.

OK a little tongue in cheek - but years ago I got a job that involved towing a 1.25ton trailer 45K a year for over 5 years, apart from a failed wheel bearing, never an issue, no lessons, you got better at reversing with practice, certainly didn't need a special test. It just seems like a jobsworth has found another way of taking money off motorists.
Rant over Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #147522 3rd Jul 2012 12:54 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Thing is Andy you subconciously, along with lots of others, will be thinking about the extra braking effort that is required to stop a combination compared to just a vehicle. As well as swinging out slightly wider when you go round a junction/roundabout, as well as knowing how to load a trailer safely so there is not too much/little weight over the towbar. People who got their licence before 2000 (when our trailer licence came in) probable don't realise this. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #147531 3rd Jul 2012 2:25 pm
ad210358

England 

muddywheels wrote:
I have never plucked up the courage to tow abroad - to many things can go wrong Embarassed

I used to tour europe without van and that was stressful enough Rolling Eyes

You need to go out there again muddy, the same things can happen hear as out there, the only difference is your further from home. France is empty compared to what we have over here, just put the CC on at 60mph and pass the odd LGV and that's about it most of the time, you can drive for miles with out passing anyone or anyone coming pass you. Even 10am in the morning 20 miles from Calais you can look in the mirror, no one behind you and no one in front of you.
The Autoroutes at peak time are like the M1 at 3am.

This wasn't so clever last month just south of Paris but we got through without coming to a stop.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #147558 3rd Jul 2012 7:17 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I concur, driving in France is a doddle, miles (kilometers Laughing ) better than driving in this country Thumbs Up ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #147566 3rd Jul 2012 7:39 pm
ad210358

England 

It is Dave, rather over there than here any day. Will be up your area Thursday, Castle Stuart, A9 lovely Sad

Post #147568 3rd Jul 2012 7:42 pm
Dave

Castle Stuart Inverness Question , a good 2 hours drive from here Laughing , call in for a cuppa Thumbs Up ______________________
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #147574 3rd Jul 2012 7:56 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The worst part of the journey is disembarking from the ferry at Portsmouth and immediately joining the M275 Shocked Before that, all was blissful! Cool 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #147576 3rd Jul 2012 7:59 pm
ad210358

England 

Dave wrote:
Castle Stuart Inverness Question , a good 2 hours drive from here Laughing , call in for a cuppa Thumbs Up

Just round the corner then, It may be two hours from you, it's nine hours from me Laughing

Post #147579 3rd Jul 2012 8:08 pm
Dave

9 hours Question , where you coming from then, Cheltemham Question ______________________
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #147580 3rd Jul 2012 8:10 pm
ad210358

England 

Not a bad guess, fifteen miles out of Oxford, but have to go to Bristol first thing tomorrow then heading up Thumbs Up

Post #147582 3rd Jul 2012 8:12 pm
Dave

I can just picture the route now, Calais to Paris, down to Orleans then onto Limoges.........

Sorry, you'll be coming up the M5/M6 won't you Laughing ______________________
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #147584 3rd Jul 2012 8:20 pm
ad210358

England 

That was last month. Thumbs Up

Post #147591 3rd Jul 2012 8:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>