« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > worrying Handling
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue
worrying Handling

I had diff bearings replaced last week and all is quiet now. However, there's a massive issue with cornering. Basically, at any speed above 30 mph, whilst negotiating a right hand bend, the back end feels as though its going to spin out. It twitches noticeably, then straightens itself out. The cars back at the dealers now, as it feels unsafe to drive. Theyre of the opinion its a tracking issue! I cant see that, particularly as the 4 wheel allignment has just been done and its got 4 new tyres.

Any views? Big Cry [/i] Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #139281 10th Apr 2012 4:06 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

could be related to the diff work, maybe not assembled it correctly.

what's it like on a left hand bend ?

Iain

Post #139282 10th Apr 2012 4:15 pm
EYorkshire

Sounds like axle 'axle windup' to me, as said something's amiss in the build.

Post #139285 10th Apr 2012 4:35 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

Like Ian has intimated this will no doubt be related to the diff work.

The remove the diff you need to first remove the LH half shaft. You can do this without disturbing the tracking but there is every chance they have taken the entire left side suspension arm set up to make life easier. This OK if on re-assembly you check that the tracking is OK. Also, when torquing up the suspension bolts the vehicle should be on the ground with full weight on the wheels. if it is done with the vehicle still up on the lift the result can screw with the ride height and handling. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #139286 10th Apr 2012 4:36 pm
philsh

The problem only occurs on right hand bends. Car drives normally through left bends. Just had a call from dealers and the checking has been checked, with no fault found. Reckon its gotta be the way the diff was re constructed. Will find out tomorrow. Not at all impressed by main dealer though Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #139302 10th Apr 2012 6:58 pm
Ghyllie

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Tyre Pressures? pretty basic I know but they make a hell of a difference if they are wrong and/or at differing pressures also do you have "rotational" tyres? were they put back on the right way round and were all the clamps and bolts replaced? as this is dealers we're on about they could have done anything just a thought.

Ghyllie oo! Shiney!

Post #139335 11th Apr 2012 6:22 am
philsh

Tyre pressures spot on, tracking checked and rechecked and brand new set of Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV's. Dealers have found the lower suspension arm on front nearside to have excessive play on it. That's being replaced, but I dont think for a minute, thats the issue. Cars still in dealers. Seems like they're going through a process of elimination Shocked Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #139373 11th Apr 2012 6:26 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

Interesting....the wheel alignment should have been a full 4 wheel job but it would be impossible to do accurately if the front lower arm was screwed. Make sure they re-do the alignment when the lower arm has been sorted.

If the front lower arm is worn it could definitely have an affect on handling. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #139394 11th Apr 2012 7:42 pm
philsh

I also thought it as interesting how they managed to do the 4-wheel alignment with a faulty suspension arm. To be honest, I don't have much faith in any garages anymore. It seems you literally have to explain everything to them. I guess that's due to the fact they are no longer mechanics and more 'fitters'.

Anyway, I've just picked up the car and the scary handling was down to the lower nearside suspension arm ball joint, having excessive play. It took them a long while to figure this one out though, as I mentioned the knocking noise and vague steering last month, when it was serviced. It'd obviously got worse though, as it was getting to the point I was scared to drive it above 30mph. All's well that ends well, except for me being another £300 poorer Crying or Very sad Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #139487 12th Apr 2012 5:34 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1