« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > a Fond Farewell
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

chicken george wrote:
Shame that you chose a foreign made car instead of supporting the UK workforce. Rolling Eyes

John Deere?????

Post #138711 5th Apr 2012 7:19 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

as opposed too?
atleast John deere tractors are made in the EU giving some hope of helping the UK economy,
UK manufactured tractor choices are very slim.

That said I over the last 5yrs I been on a buying spree of farm equipment, a large proportion of it being UK manufactured. Only looking at imported products when UK offerings don't fit the bill. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #138716 5th Apr 2012 8:24 am
Bazza28

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Hi Chicken George

I think you need to take a look at who owns LR and more the point, that some FL2's are manufactured in India,and only assembled in the UK. At the end of the day I have to support myself,because no other Censored will. The lowest PX price for my immaculate FL2 was from a LR dealer ,and by a big margin.where is the reciprical support???

Post #138719 5th Apr 2012 8:59 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

over the last few years we have been visiting caravan/motorhome dealers thinking about buying.

a lot of the staff drive Kia and use to tow their own caravans............they swear by them.

Iain

Post #138722 5th Apr 2012 9:08 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

personally, i will choose a car, not the workforce behind it,

If the LR doesn't fit the bill, then Audi or BMW will be looked at, if they dont fit the bill, then i will look further afield

i think i will draw the line and not look at China replica cars though Laughing

Post #138724 5th Apr 2012 9:19 am
Andy S

United Kingdom 

Bazza28 wrote:
Hi Chicken George

I think you need to take a look at who owns LR and more the point, that some FL2's are manufactured in India,and only assembled in the UK. At the end of the day I have to support myself,because no other Censored will. The lowest PX price for my immaculate FL2 was from a LR dealer ,and by a big margin.where is the reciprical support???

Err you're wrong mate. LRs are built up in India from knock down kits manufactured in either Halewood or Solihull. Tata, being an Indian company is looking to actually manufacture cars their, but at the moment they don't have the supply chain they need.

Post #138725 5th Apr 2012 9:22 am
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

I also think LR need to sort out dealer pricing policies. They pay bottom dollar for a trade in and over the odds for second hand cars. I bought my FL from a non LR dealer and paid £3,000 less than the LR dealer were asking for an equivalent vehicle. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #138728 5th Apr 2012 9:26 am
chicken george

the men in the LR plants dont care who owns the place they works in , but he is glad of the pay packet. As are the workers in the associated production plants feeding the factory.

is it not better to give your hard earned to uk individuals than too workers in a far of country.

yes jag land rover isnt UK owned , but the plants are in the UK. At work
At home

Post #138734 5th Apr 2012 10:22 am
chicken george

JST wrote:
I also think LR need to sort out dealer pricing policies. They pay bottom dollar for a trade in and over the odds for second hand cars. I bought my FL from a non LR dealer and paid £3,000 less than the LR dealer were asking for an equivalent vehicle.

LR dealers arnt overflowing with unsold stock, so there prices must be acceptable to many, however foolish. they will only reduces prices when the end up having to dump unsold stock to the trade/auctions. At work
At home

Post #138737 5th Apr 2012 10:26 am
EYorkshire

I agree with CG up to a point but an individual must put his 'hard earned' in a product he believes in and has faith in, or a way to get the best out of it via a long warranty.
If LR product fits that bill then good but 'hard earned' deserves the best return in your 'investment'.

Snob value doesn't cut it these days (unless you are a member of this forum), drivers want a vehicle as cheap as possible, runs as economically as possible, as reliable as possible, warrantied for as long as possible and does the job it was intended for.
If a foreign car fits that bill then so be it, it would be up to other manufacturers to match that and become as competitive.

Post #138738 5th Apr 2012 10:35 am
ad210358

England 

I will by a car best suited my needs but one of the major priorities for me is where it comes from, we have not got much manufacturing in this country so I try to support it the best I can.

Post #138740 5th Apr 2012 10:40 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

One bonus point for LR is if u wanted to look at a FL2 they have a new one in the showroom, unlike VW And Audi today both didn't have either the toureg or Q5 to look at today when been nosy, so it's a cup o tea and a brochure to look at

Post #138752 5th Apr 2012 12:49 pm
Bazza28

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Andy S wrote:
Bazza28 wrote:
Hi Chicken George

Err you're wrong mate. LRs are built up in India from knock down kits manufactured in either Halewood or Solihull. Tata, being an Indian company is looking to actually manufacture cars their, but at the moment they don't have the supply chain they need.

Sorry chicken George you are quire correct,I have no idea where I got that useless information from!!!!

Post #138775 5th Apr 2012 4:40 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

npinks wrote:

If the LR doesn't fit the bill, then Audi or BMW will be looked at, if they dont fit the bill, then i will look further afield

I'm the exact opposite. The workforce is my main critera.
The same goes for everything else I buy. If i can find whatever I'm after made in the UK, that's the route I go down rightly or wrongly.
I've seen too many good people loose thier jobs. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #138794 5th Apr 2012 7:45 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Pegleg wrote:
npinks wrote:

I'm the exact opposite. The workforce is my main critera.
The same goes for everything else I buy. If i can find whatever I'm after made in the UK, that's the route I go down rightly or wrongly.
I've seen too many good people loose thier jobs.

Got to agree with you there. Even the media and politicians have begun to realise that, as an economy, we ignore our manufacturing base at our peril. Not only is it vital for our economy, but it's great for our national identity too.

There's no point in buying a British built product that's obviously uncompetitive. However, many people usually ignore the British product and head straight to the VW / Audi / Skoda / Hyundai etc showrooms first, like a load of sheep, without even bothering to check out the locally built alternative. If I were wrong, then the roads would be full of Jaguar XF's and BMW 5 Series would be a rare sight indeed Rolling Eyes

(I'm just going to pause for a second, while I savour that thought!)....

I feel a great deal of pride in seeking out the quality British alternative and am prepared to pay a little bit more for a premium product, that's why there are two late 90's Triumphs in my garage and a Freelander 2 parked outside. Unfortunately there's nothing to compete with the Focus RS that shares the garage with the 'bikes, but Ford employ many thousands of UK workers in design and manufacturing, so I can live with that.

Last edited by Tigger on 5th Apr 2012 8:52 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #138797 5th Apr 2012 8:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>