« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > LRE Rockingham
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Speedway

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue
LRE Rockingham

Had a great afternoon at Rockingham, Darren was excellent even though he spent most of the time trying to get me to slow down, couldn't believe the Freelanders ability offroad even though we did over heat the gearbox trying to set off in 2nd up a particularly steep and slippery hill, wouldn't want to do it in my own car though.
Even got to try an Evoque on a short drive round the gravel access roads after we had finished, quite nice to drive but if I had the money I would still Buy a Freelander.
Darren recons the next Freelander will be a 7 seater in a few years and the D4 and RRS will be dropped, sounds a bit far fetched to me. Gone, 2007 TD4 SE Auto Baltic blue, clear side repeaters, full sized alloy spare.

English by birth..... Yorkshire by the grace of God.

Last edited by Speedway on 2nd Mar 2012 12:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #134272 1st Mar 2012 11:03 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

That won't happen. The Rockingham Castle Experience is superb. Disco's etc defeat the FL2 for ground clearance but the FL2 defeats them in other areas such as holding it's line on slippery grassy slopes.

It trounced the Disco 4 and RRS Whistle going up a seriously muddy slope. The Disco and RRS took 7 and 6 attempts respectively to get up in the hands of the instructor where I went up in one attempt in the FL2. The reason for this is the sheer weight of the Disco and RRS. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #134277 1st Mar 2012 11:11 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Speedway: Glad you enjoyed your day out with Darren. Not sure I agree with his comments about a 7 seat Freelander and demise of D4 and RRS but who knows.

The Doctor: Surprised the D4 took more attempts than the RRS to get up the muddy slope it is usually the other way round as the D4 is generally more capable offroad than the RRS. Was it the same instructor driving both or different instructors in them, if the latter that may explain why the D4 took more attempts?

Post #134347 2nd Mar 2012 12:26 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Different if memory serves me well but the Disco is heavier than the RRS so perhaps that was key. Hence the FL2 is supreme. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #134439 2nd Mar 2012 8:55 pm
Speedway

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

Yes it was a great day, would like to do it again sometime. Gone, 2007 TD4 SE Auto Baltic blue, clear side repeaters, full sized alloy spare.

English by birth..... Yorkshire by the grace of God.

Post #134443 2nd Mar 2012 9:05 pm
rchrdleigh

The Doctor: The RRS runs on lower profile tyres than the D4 which would usually cancel out the differing weights. I'm at Rockingham on Sunday in a D4 MY12 so will have to see how it gets on. I'm there the following weekend in a Freelander and will have to rethink my routes as the Freelander is limited on where it can go at the moment due to ground clearance issues.

Sepedway: I'm sure you'd be welcome anytime - just need to persuade the dealer or LR to give you another voucher.

Was at Rockingham today, the site was nice and wet and the tracks rutted. The D4 coped admirably with the conditions. Unfortunately the Freelander wasn't out as no one wanted to play in it today.

Post #134461 2nd Mar 2012 10:19 pm
rchrdleigh

In Freelander 2 at Rockingham this morning. Tracks were nicely rutted and a mix of mud and sand and ideal for showing off what the Freelander can do offroad. Needless to say the Freelander hardly put a foot wrong and coped with some particularly deep ruts and muddy hill climbs.

Roll on the next time.

Post #135712 11th Mar 2012 7:43 pm
dunroof

Thumbs Up

Last edited by dunroof on 2nd Jan 2013 8:26 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #135722 11th Mar 2012 8:21 pm
rchrdleigh

As The Doctor mentioned in an earlier post, there are also some tracks that the Freelander can use that the D4 etc can't because it is considerably lighter than its bigger cousins. The Evoque has marginally better ground clearance than the Freelander by a mere 5cm at the front and has similar but marginally better offroad ability than the Freelander. I don't think she'd be too disappointed by the Evoque but.........I suspect she'll still end up favouring the D4.

Post #135729 11th Mar 2012 9:20 pm
dunroof

Thumbs Up

Post #135733 11th Mar 2012 9:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1