« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > New car, I'm not happy :-(
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

Hi EY,
Thanks, she is having major surgery but we are hopeful she will be totally cured. She was diagnosed very quickly and we've had excellent care from every single member of staff at The James Cook University Hospital. It is a shining example of how good NHS care can be.
Just about to leave work so I will check on the service indicator.
Cheers
MM

Post #128390 21st Jan 2012 1:00 pm
EYorkshire

Sadly it does vary within the NHS, so lucky the care is good where she is Thumbs Up and we wish her a speedy recovery.
Excellent to have the only 'lady' sign up for the shooting event, I would'nt mind handing my title over if it meant you came out 'Top Gun' Laughing though it would mean some Evil or Very Mad faces from some of the other guys.

Yes, mine shows a momentary 'OIL SERVICE DUE VISIT DEALER' on start up and shut down in the centre display and a permanent 'OIL SERVICE' in the RH odometer display. I have been told one of them means I have reached the diesel dilution max in the oil due to DPF regeneration. But no-one is ever certain what they tell me from LR.
It would be interesting what yours displays also.

Post #128391 21st Jan 2012 1:10 pm
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

Hi EY,
Just checked my odometer- just says service due 28 days and there is a little clock picture. It goes away when we move off.
I usually win the golden hippo award whenever I'm competing because I'm pretty useless!!!
M Whistle M

Post #128480 21st Jan 2012 10:21 pm
EYorkshire

Thanks for checking MM, it seems I do have an extra warning/reminder but as mine is booked in next Friday for its service, no worries. Smile

Post #128514 22nd Jan 2012 11:13 am
Joshuag

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Lago Grey

Has anyone else managed to get their turbo whistle fixed. I tried at my 1st service with Stratsones but they still don't recognise the fault continuing to say it is a characteristic of the vehicle even after telling then about the steering column seal solution. Frustrating! And now to top it off my DOF sensor has started to play up.
All other aspects of the vehicle have been great in first year of ownership.

Post #134359 2nd Mar 2012 1:09 pm
JonL

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Mine has been in today for further investigation having previously had the steering column seal replaced with only a slight improvement. Dealer has been very helpful but land rover technical are now adamant that it is characteristic of the larger turbo of the sd4.

Post #134377 2nd Mar 2012 3:29 pm
Joshuag

And i was hoping the steering column seal would be an end to it.
Let me know how you get on Jonl with the latest investigations.
Interesting how landrover are adamant its a characteristic of SD4 when intruding whistle is not present on all SD4s but is also present on some TD4s.
Currently driving around in new Disco 4 while mine is having DPF sensor checked.

Post #134677 4th Mar 2012 9:50 pm
xs59

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Joshuag how u finding the disco 4? I currently have one myself will the rear diff is getting replaced. Don't want to give mine back Sad silver 59 xs privacy glass side steps sat nav

Post #134687 4th Mar 2012 10:46 pm
JonL

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

The steering wheel seal did help a bit, but not completely cured. The service centre I have been using has been very helpful (certainly compared to supplying dealer) and have done a lot of work to try and find a solution. The technician test drove my car back to back with an evoque and claims little difference. I'm not going to worry about it any more. Come to the conclusion that I'm maybe being a bit fussy. After all I have had cars in the past with much worse turbo whistle but actually liked the sound - these being sporty cars it suited them.

Post #134704 5th Mar 2012 8:52 am
Joshuag

Really enjoying the disco 4 - biggest difference I notice is with the auto box. Silky smooth in the disco when compared to my SD4. More than happy to give the disco back providing all issues with mine are resolved.

Post #134714 5th Mar 2012 9:36 am
MC 51MUN

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

MightyMildred wrote:
Read manual and re-set windows (so proud of my very small technical achievement).
Spoke to TVLR and LRCS who are going to arrange a technical manager to see the car and decide whether we are dealing with characteristics of the car (gearbox mountings should have stopped the twitching gear stick).
Turns out the twang is likely to be the ABS pump running a self check.

did you ever resolve the twang ... mine does it all the time, would be good to know for sure what it is

Post #135586 10th Mar 2012 9:57 pm
heliosuk

You need to ensure that LR part number LR030346 has been used for RHD cars. It's all in the latest parts catalouge. It might be though that the your garage has just used the part for the chaiis number but the latest version of microcat seems to correct it. Use the number above and it seems to cure the problem..........well it has in my dealership anyway.

The twang again is a well known issue and has been found to be the sill modifiction by the lower A post. Again a fix is in place. Talking to one of the gurus at JLR recently, one of their major complaints is dealers not reading service messages or alerting them to potential problems.

Post #135600 10th Mar 2012 11:48 pm
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

MC 51MUN, no I haven't yet got to the bottom of the twang. TVLR tried to fix it when Lloyd had the steering column seal replaced (for the second time as the first part ordered was unfortnately the same as the original one!)
My Mum has been really poorly so I just havent had the opportunity to pester TVLR into doing something about the twang. Its really quite loud and passengers often remark upon on it.
Have had Lloyd one year now, and while he has never brokendown on the side of the road, the shine of having a new car was certainly taken away. I'm beginning to think about a move away from the LR brand. However, if I didnt have my Freely then I would be sad....

Post #136140 14th Mar 2012 6:00 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

If the twang you are referring to happens once only when you pull away for the first time, it is normal. Mine does it every time and a couple of the dealers cars also did it when I tried them. Wouldn't worry about it.

Post #136218 15th Mar 2012 1:07 am
taztastic

England 

I too have the twang, each and every time the car is started and moved.
I am surprised the garage know not of its origin.

It is the ABS pump performing its self check, at a given speed, approx 10mph, it will turn on the pump for a fraction of a second, the twang you here are the brakes receiving a quick pulse and they "twang" as it happens.

On mine it is similiar to the twang you get with HDC activated.

A bit of light hearted information on twangs here , it should brighten your day at least MM Smile

Post #136382 16th Mar 2012 9:29 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 10 <12345678910>