United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

well done OG Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #121348 24th Nov 2011 1:50 pm
Junior

England 

From now on all technical issuses should be adressed to oldgeezer Thumbs Up Laughing

Post #121349 24th Nov 2011 2:14 pm
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

Yup! Well done OG!
I'm left feeling all a bit underwhelmed by this whole experience. I'm dissapointed that the RTM signed Lloyd off as normal when an EASY quick fix was available.
Now...we'll see if my other issues are real or 'within tolerances'.
Watch this space.... The title of the thread will hopefully need to be changed to new car, could not be happier...

Post #121351 24th Nov 2011 3:16 pm
EYorkshire

Nearly well done OG, you said it was the 'steering colomb rubber seal', in fact it was the one next to it, the 'steering columb rubber seal', Laughing

Good diagnosis Thumbs Up

Post #121352 24th Nov 2011 3:22 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I always find it strange how when you want to buy one, mostly the salesman are attentive ! but when it comes to getting them fixed ! especially under warranty , the most common comment is " they all do it"

With the price of these cars I think these dealers need to buck their ideas up considerably !

I have probably had one of the worst experiences of any FR2 owner waiting 3.3 years for L/Rover to finally accept that mine had a fault that was there from new having always been told there all like it !

The SD4 loan car I had for some time didn't make any noise at all from the turbo ! so they don't all do it & I'm not mutton Jeff !

Post #121357 24th Nov 2011 3:46 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Come on guys! It's steering column! Do get it right! Rolling Eyes 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #121394 24th Nov 2011 11:03 pm
heliosuk

oldgeezer wrote:
"Posted 22nd of June"

quote "I would suggest that if you can hear the turbo from inside the cabin iether the turbo is noisey or there is a bung missing in the bulkhead, or a steering colomb rubber seal is out of place, I would be looking under those pedals to see where the noise is coming in ! as the turbo is right below your drivers feet ! This is where I suspect the problem lies but something the dealers would never think off ! as there is excuse for everything is they all do it !
It may mean putting a smoke pellet near the turbo and shining a torch around the pedal area to see if any smoke appears or shinning a very bright light in the back of the engine bay at night and glancing around the pedal area, but sure this is where you need to concentrate on. "

Look like I had even suggested steering column seal. This is a problem with so many cars and another is a noisey engine due to a badly fitted windscreen which allows noise into the cabin.
Very Happy Very Happy

Think you will find JLR fixed it well before you thought of it unfortunately OG. I hear the problem is with dealers never reporting problems back to the factory.

Post #125572 31st Dec 2011 9:37 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

"Think you will find JLR fixed it well before you thought of it unfortunately OG. I hear the problem is with dealers never reporting problems back to the factory."

couldn't agree more, communication is really poor between dealers and manufactures. dealers don't seem to like to ask for help either.

Thats why I like Fords, when you have a problem the car is plugged into the diagnostics via a centre, rather than the tech, this feeds back anomalies etc & if no fault found the centre can often suggest a certain part based on probabilities. Having experienced this first hand it was great to drive away with confidence knowing something had been done rather then " we cant find anything wrong "

Post #125632 1st Jan 2012 1:13 pm
jacklin7310

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

I got freelander 2 one month ago. the whistle noise is significant. it is really annoying. I drived back to dealer. they said it was normal. I can not believe it.

Post #128164 20th Jan 2012 5:22 am
JonL

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Finally managed to get a diagnosis of a faulty grommet in bulkhead and am booked in for work on Monday. Never did get supplying dealer (Armstrong Massey) to acknowledge a problem but Brian Leighton's new LR service centre at Howden got the job sorted very quickly.

Post #128171 20th Jan 2012 8:37 am
athelstan

heliosuk wrote:

I hear the problem is with dealers never reporting problems back to the factory.

I absolutely concur:
1: Immediately her Ladyship took delivery of her FL2 in Nov'09 I reported to the dealer that the FFBH stunk and was filling the cabin with noxious diesel fumes. They said this was normal. Her Ladyship said these fumes were sufficiently toxic to cause health problems, especially in the elderly (me) or a young child (our, at the time 6yr old daughter.) The dealer had it in the workshop for days and pronounced it within "tolerance" and no error codes found. Her Ladyship presented her medical evidence on partially burnt carbons in an enclosed space, an Alex (Freel2) provided a paper on what could be occurring inside the FFBH. Five months later they replaced the FFBH.

2: Adapative Xenons that had a habit of failing to adapt. No permanent fix found despite many visits to official LR dealers. Problem found and resolved by an independent non LR garage when new feline MY 2011 front bumper installed to replace the bullish MY2010 at her Ladyship's request. Adaptives have functioned properly ever since.

3: Last autumn I reported that the front seat belts had damaged the B pillar trim (as reported by other members and corrected under warranty by LR in markets from the UK to Australia) however, the Swiss went into their usual mode of denial. It took 3mths of almost fortnightly badgering and provision of evidence re warranty refits before they (LR-CH) responded positively.

4: Last week I reported that the rear tailgate handle had developed cracks (see my thread on this subject) and took the FL2 to the official LR Service Centre. First reaction, that's normal wear n tear. I provided photographs on the day and asked the proprietor to file a warranty replacement claim. To date I have had no feedback from either the Service Centre or LR-CH.

These are only four of the numerous issues she has experienced in 41,000kms and 26mths of ownership.

Communication certainly needs to be improved between factory and reseller, but also so does the training of all dealership personnel.

Post #128173 20th Jan 2012 8:45 am
EYorkshire

I agree heliosuk Thumbs Up
I have had a small niggly problem since new and my ex STR Censored ONE dealer in Hull said it was 'characteristic of the car' and no way would the service manager budge from that statement, he also refused to allow me to try another SD4 for comparison.
I rang LR customer services to complain and she said a comparison must be done before a statement like that can be voiced, so she told me to choose another dealer and she would arrange with them a test drive in another SD4. This I did and the LR dealer provided two SD4's for comparison Very Happy. The result, it is not characteristic of the car, Landrover knows of this noise that occurs on some cars but there is no fix available as yet.

Too many dealers will try to fob you off with excuses and useful customer input never makes it's way back to those who matter. I don't know if it helps but my complaint is logged with LR customer services but whether they act on these complaints I don't know, but never accept the dealer excuses before exploring other avenues.

Post #128182 20th Jan 2012 9:46 am
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

oldgeezer wrote:
"Think you will find JLR fixed it well before you thought of it unfortunately OG. I hear the problem is with dealers never reporting problems back to the factory."

couldn't agree more, communication is really poor between dealers and manufactures. dealers don't seem to like to ask for help either.

Thats why I like Fords, when you have a problem the car is plugged into the diagnostics via a centre, rather than the tech, this feeds back anomalies etc & if no fault found the centre can often suggest a certain part based on probabilities. Having experienced this first hand it was great to drive away with confidence knowing something had been done rather then " we cant find anything wrong "

Clever computer that if it can tell you you have a dodgy bung!!! Twisted Evil Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #128317 20th Jan 2012 8:54 pm
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

Hi,
Well, Lloyd sounds great these days. Thank goodness for the fix!
Jacklin- there is an easy way to solve this problem- just stuff the area where the steering wheel goes through the floor with tissue paper. You will find the noise goes away. Then the dealer can order you the new steering column seal and all will be well.
Lloyd still has 2 outstanding issues but I've ran out of steam to pursue them. Mum is having surgery for her cancer next week and everything automotive has paled into insignificance right now.
His service indicator has come on which means Ive had him nearly a year and we are still not sorted (although this is partly due to my personal circumstances in the last 2 months)
Sad

Post #128387 21st Jan 2012 12:51 pm
EYorkshire

Hi MM, sorry to hear about your mum, hope it goes well Thumbs Up
Mine is one year old as well and I have 1 service reminder in the central display and another in the RH smaller display, does yours show two Question

Post #128389 21st Jan 2012 12:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>