Home > General > New Freelander 2 owner looking for advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gsmiler

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue
New Freelander 2 owner looking for advice

Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone can help me out with a few queries about my FL2 2007 2.2 diesel auto?

First and foremost, the gearbox makes an intermittent noise, seems more so when on low revs in 3rd and 4th gear, when I come off the gas pedal especially, its a deep dry sounding groan kind of noise, anything sound amiss or do I just have to get used to it?

Also, theres sometimes a noise coming from 4 wheel drive system ( ? ) when I pull away sometimes, mainly when I pull away from a T junction? Its kind of a few quick squeaks/judders and feels like somethings slipping??

And finally, Im quite surprised how much diesel its getting thru, Im doing mainly short journeys ( 6 miles on average ) but expected more than 22mpg and Im not heavy with the right foot, is this the norm as I was told to expect around the 30mpg mark.

Thanks in advance if anyone can shed some light as I dont want to be onto the phone to dealer every 5 mins as its been in once already for a problem and Ive only had it a few weeks.

Cheers!

Post #123406 13th Dec 2011 12:09 am
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

You don't say whether these noises have developed since day one you owned the car or since you've been using it. Any dealer worth his salt shouldn't sell a car with these faults.
Did you buy from a dealer or private?
I'm afraid it is a trip to the dealer if you bought the car from them, you need to give them the chance to sort it.
And arrange for a courtesy car.

Good luck Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #123414 13th Dec 2011 1:10 am
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

22mpg is very low. I have simlar age auto and get 28-30 on my 5 mile each way commute along lanes. Your high consumption which may be related to your transmission fault i.e. additonal resistance/friction due to a malfunction. Do you know if your vehicle has had the Q106 service update for slip/flare on the auto box issued late last year? There are previous posts if yu search on Q106. I would get it soerted soon o avoid a new auto box at £3,000+ I recall being quoted before.
Good luck. I am sure someone like Alex will be along shortly with a technical view. - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #123415 13th Dec 2011 1:16 am
Gsmiler

Bought from main dealer, the car sat on my drive for a week before I had chance to drive it so just been getting used to it, noticed it in first week now its REALLY irritating!

The customer service I rec'd when I took it back for another problem in first week was sadly lacking hence I didnt want to take it back again so soon but looks like I wil have to....I might get a smile this time from the girl in the service dept but I wont hold my breath....

Thanks for replying Razz

Last edited by Gsmiler on 13th Dec 2011 1:22 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #123416 13th Dec 2011 1:17 am
Gsmiler

Not too sure about the Q106 but will mention it when I phone them up tomorrow, surely though if its under main dealer warranty the gearbox will be covered so I wouldnt have to pay for a new one if it was Censored ?

Post #123417 13th Dec 2011 1:21 am
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Sorry you've had a bad experiance with your dealer.
Take it back with your list of problems. They should agree to put it right. Don't take the car back home when they give you the keys, test drive it first with one of thier staff.
Do not agree to part with any of your hard earned cash.

Also you don't have to use the same dealer if you're not happy. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #123418 13th Dec 2011 1:23 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

If you bought it from a main Dealer you should have no problems, it should be a Land Rover approved vehicle with a 12 month Warranty. Just give the dealer a written list of the faults , and as above get the service manager or mechanic to come for a short drive with you and work through the list one by one.

As far as the mileage goes, if the car is never getting warm you will have low MPG, we are averaging 24 when my wife does the 1 mile trip to town and back, that's on a 2009 Auto 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #123422 13th Dec 2011 8:57 am
Gsmiler

Thanks for all the advice and replies guys, cars booked in for next week so fingers crossed they'll sort everything out.

Thanks again Very Happy

Post #123472 13th Dec 2011 6:37 pm
stuarts the man

How did you get on with your car

Post #125646 1st Jan 2012 1:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gsmiler

Hi, well I took the car in, car was making grating noise on the drive in, asked if a mechanic could jump in so I could show him what I meant...sound disapears?! We drive for 20 mins and absolutely nothing, it was quite comical to be honest! Anyways mechanic said he would have a look to see if there was anything obvious but as he couldnt hear sound he didnt promise anything, he never found anything but since getting it back the noise has vastly reduced, mechanic said it was probably the starting of back bearings going that I heard but until it got a lot worse there was nothing he could do.

On the mpg side of things, have used a fuel cleaner and an oil treatment and am now getting 28mpg which is a bit better than the 22mpg I was previously getting.

Thanks for asking Stuart Smile

Post #126142 4th Jan 2012 9:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1