Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > What FL2 should we get as stablemate to a RRS ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Zermatt Vulgaris

What FL2 should we get as stablemate to a RRS ?

Hi there

Been a Member of Martin's other sites for a number of years having had Defender Puma, Disco 3 and recently a 2011 RRS. the user name comes from a line of silver land rovers .

Looks like 2012 means we will be looking at swapping my wife's trusty Subaru Imprezza out for a Freelander 2 . We initially thought of an evoque but SWMBO has said its too small ( she even called the FL2 a fullfat evoque!)

The question is what spec? ... as we already have a RRS in HSE spec we don't want to get an FL2 which is too loaded - we've had some FL2 HSEs as loan cars in the past and they have been very well appointed but we just don't need this in the second car.

One deal breaker for SWMBO is Xenons .. she has them on her 57 Subaru (standard on a 15.5k car.... wish LR were so generous)... and wants them on the FL2 ... what spec level are they standard on the MY10 + FL2?... XS?

from most of the pictures of dealer GS in MY10,11 guise they look like they have xenons? similar to the old D3 Xenon light treatment? ... is this the case or is it a std light being made to look like Xenons?

Any thoughts or pointers on engine size would be helpfull for what will be a country hack rather than a motorway car.

The colour is chosen it needs to be Buck or Baltic Blue .

Thanks for any Input... Thumbs Up Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2011MY Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport HSE 3.0 TDV6

My RRS @ http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic23157.html

Last edited by Zermatt Vulgaris on 4th Jan 2012 10:35 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #126036 4th Jan 2012 9:20 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

they are probably halogen projector lights, not as good as the standards halogen lights apparently. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #126037 4th Jan 2012 9:25 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

i ve got a 2011 spk xs the only extras i orderd was 18" wheels and tinted glass in the rear ,it has all that we need in extra that come as standard fittment, i could not justify the extera 4k for full leather and a dolby raddio more than happy with the speck hope this helps Thumbs Up ps i have replaced the standard headlamp bulbs for osram nightbreaker it does make a differance,a lot cheaper than buying hid;s rainy-city
xs

Last edited by bigalf1961 on 4th Jan 2012 9:40 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #126040 4th Jan 2012 9:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zermatt Vulgaris

Is that with Xenons as std ? Visiting from rrsport.co.uk

Post #126042 4th Jan 2012 9:35 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

dont think xenons are std on any fl2

It seems you'd suit a GS with xenons as extra, possible leather too you can add that later for about £1000, look for a car with winter pack , not sure if xenons come with winter pack already?? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #126056 4th Jan 2012 11:48 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

if you were originally looking at the Evoque, i think their entry trim level Pure is a little higher spec than a GS FL2,

If your wanting basic, then GS or XS if you want a few more luxuries

If your wanting something that is not so basic and eye catching the FL2 Sports LE with the bodykit on look very nice, two tone leather interior, but i think they come in Black or White, (or is the Orkney grey in that too, or is that just the D4?)

Post #126057 4th Jan 2012 12:00 pm
Zermatt Vulgaris

CG - GS with Xenons sounds like the right option for us .

Npinks - Evoque Pure 5 door was a thought but its just too small and SWMBO has decided now they are on the road that they look squashed - I think you're right most LR Ses are white/black (Stormer, Landmark etc)
Thanks Guys Thumbs Up

I've got to be honest i find LR and others d lack of xenons as standard a real pain- You should have seen SWMBO's face when i tried explaining to her that a 30k+ RRE does not come with xenon as std when a 2.0 Subaru Imprezza (approx half this price) does. One of the reasons i discounted the Touareg when i bought the RRS is that i was not going to wait 6 months to get a Touareg with Xenons. Visiting from rrsport.co.uk

Post #126059 4th Jan 2012 12:14 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

There is only one engine choice in the FL2 - a 2.2 turbo diesel (volvo sourced I think) but since late 2010 LR offered an SD4 version giving more grunt (about 190bhp) than the TD4 version (150bhp or thereabouts), the extra poke makes the FL2 0.1 seconds quicker to 60mph than a 3 litre RRS!!!

Xenons are not standard and to be honest I dont think many were fitted as optional extras as most I see at night are standard projector headlamps. I have xenons on mine and they are fantastic,

If you are buying new then opt for the xenons and dont forget to order a spare wheel (yes thats an option as well!!). The SD4 is auto only and commands a premium over the TD4, in my opinon worth every penny as my SD4 drives much sweeter than my previous TD4 ever did plus you get the added bonus of colour coded bottom mouldings and afew other cosmetic improvements.

If you are buying second hand bear in mind that the FL2 had a midlife facelift in late 2010 which benefits from an improved front bumper and grille and a chrome arse piece on the back. Depreciation will probably be worse with a pre-facelifrt purchase.

Happy hunting! Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #126060 4th Jan 2012 12:23 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Xenons, heated front screen and heated seats come as a pack on GS. About £1000 i think. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #126065 4th Jan 2012 1:37 pm
RJS

United Kingdom 

Quote:

If you are buying second hand bear in mind that the FL2 had a midlife facelift in late 2010 which benefits from an improved front bumper and grille and a chrome arse piece on the back. Depreciation will probably be worse with a pre-facelifrt purchase.

Happy hunting!

Interesting perspective, I bought a 2010 pre facelift because I believe DPF issues could have a detremental affect on future values of cars so equiped.

Post #126070 4th Jan 2012 2:31 pm
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

I don't think xenons came with a pack Druand, I suspect you will struggle to find a car with xenons and this might drive you to a different brand! Xenons are not available as a searchable option on the LR used freelander site, I just checked..... Good luck with your search, JT Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #126072 4th Jan 2012 3:00 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

The things that i would consider are a good classic Land Rover colour that will always be popular when you come to sell it, silver, grey, green ( even drug dealer black Laughing ) , an auto-box suits the car , above S spec if are buying used and you need the Terrain Response System and since you have a RRS already I'd stick with 17" wheels for a bigger choice of winter or all terrain tyres, less chance of rim damage, after that it is down to your needs, preferences and wallet for Cloth, leather or half half, electronic toys etc, etc, 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #126074 4th Jan 2012 3:06 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

no real issues with dpf u have just have to follow the instructions and maintain it Smile as for xenons mine had projector lamps fitted as standard just replaced the bulbs to nightbreakers 30.00 quid cost .perfectly ok in the dark with the nightbreakers also cheeper to replace if bulb blows ,from memory if a xenon bulb blows on a truck its about 60.00 quid for the bulb Big Cry rainy-city
xs

Post #126079 4th Jan 2012 3:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zermatt Vulgaris

julytourist wrote:
I suspect you will struggle to find a car with xenons and this might drive you to a different brand! Xenons are not available as a searchable option on the LR used freelander site, I just checked..... Good luck with your search, JT

Yep my main fear is that we may end up with a Forester as Xenons are std on the middle of the range XC. Visiting from rrsport.co.uk

Post #126086 4th Jan 2012 4:46 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i think dealers have more searchable options, it might be worth an email to steveallum@lookers.co.uk

Post #126087 4th Jan 2012 5:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>