Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Corrosion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

not a lot, its bodywork thats covered not things like wishbones and screws etc as far as i know Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #114780 26th Sep 2011 10:56 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

good job its not an ALFA Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #114787 26th Sep 2011 11:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

rmbillington wrote:
I thought that as the exhaust was mild steel it rusted very quickly, as exhausts do on all cars, unless they are stainless steel.

I'm not bothered with rust on the exhaust, I'd expect it almost.

If it really bothers you, you could always rplace witha stainles item, that will come with a lifetime warranty

Rich

I agree with Rich on this one. I must be missing something on this thread. All cars, whether they are 'German' or not, suffer from surface rust on general chassis components. Exhaust brackets, suspension arms etc. etc. It's perfectly normal, unless, as already pointed out, they are stainless steel or painted. Confused Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #114935 27th Sep 2011 12:08 pm
EYorkshire

rmbillington wrote:
I thought that as the exhaust was mild steel it rusted very quickly, as exhausts do on all cars, unless they are stainless steel.

As my Freelander 2 exhaust is Stainless Steel as standard, when was it not Question

Post #114937 27th Sep 2011 12:30 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

EYorkshire wrote:
rmbillington wrote:

As my Freelander 2 exhaust is Stainless Steel as standard, when was it not Question

The exhausts are not stainless as standard they are aluminiumised coated mild steel, mine is anyway.
Factory steel aluminium coated exhausts always last twice as long as a replacement you would buy from say ATS which are normally just silver painted and designed to fail 1 week outside the guaranteed 12 months.

Post #114959 27th Sep 2011 3:45 pm
taztastic

England 

Land Rover website claims that ALL exhausts are stainless steel as standard? EY's car and mine are MY11 cars,

Post #114960 27th Sep 2011 3:57 pm
EYorkshire

Mona Geeza, don't know about yours Exclamation
Land Rovers site says different, all genuine exhausts are Stainless Steel, hence the question of 'When did it change' (if it ever did)
http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/lr/owners/s...ine-parts/

Post #114962 27th Sep 2011 3:59 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

They arn't stainless steel as per the 'performance car/hand made' path but they do contain 'some' stainless steel in the manufacturing process. Ours is a March '08 car with the original exhaust on and the exhaust tubing is brown horrible and rusty - Best get the autoglym out for the meet Laughing (The rear silencer box is mint courtesy of some black stove enamel paint Whistle)

Post #114969 27th Sep 2011 5:12 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Quote:
mcphersonstrut wrote

They arn't stainless steel as per the 'performance car/hand made' path but they do contain 'some' stainless steel in the manufacturing process. Ours is a March '08 car with the original exhaust on and the exhaust tubing is brown horrible and rusty -

Best get the autoglym out for the meet Laughing (The rear silencer box is mint courtesy of some black stove enamel paint Whistle )

So the tweaking and cleaning has started for the 14th,must admit Mr Struts tip re the silencer box is Thumbs Up Thumbs Up did mine and have had the approval of Mr Strut

Post #114973 27th Sep 2011 5:23 pm
EYorkshire

From what I have been able to find out from a metallurgist friend, the more upmarket car manufacturers use ' lifetime of the car' stainless steel.

This is usually the cheaper '409 series' with 11% chromium added but no nickel, for corrosion resistance and anti flaking. It will discolour and give the appearance of rust but will not metal flake for a great many years.

Performance exhausts use '304' with a higher chromium content with the addition of 'nickel' for anti corrosion, '304' will allow the shine to stay except where it will 'blue' with heat near the manifold.

Alluminised is a coating on 'mild steel' and while it lasts longer than mild steel, it falls below '409' quality.

Post #115024 28th Sep 2011 11:30 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

he is probably getting mixed up with the cat/dpf wich are stainless Thumbs Up the rest of the exhaust is alu coated steel, rainy-city
xs

Post #115033 28th Sep 2011 11:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EYorkshire

So Land Rovers quote

Quote:
Material Strength - Stainless steel is used to give the entire exhaust system a robust and durable structure, able to withstand exhaust gas temperatures in excess of 700ºC.
from the link I posted earlier is a complete lie Confused Do you think they would run the risk of stating one thing when its another Question

It is Stainless Steel, f Censored d if I know what f Censored g grade, but it is Stainless Steel not Alluminised mild steel. Banging Head Thumbs Up

Post #115036 28th Sep 2011 12:10 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Mine is definatly stained stainless steel. I know that because its a brown rusty looking colour. However very glad to hear that it will last the life of the car, cos have no plans of selling yet Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #115038 28th Sep 2011 12:33 pm
EYorkshire

.... and before someone points it out that a magnet is attracted to the metal so it can't be Stainless Steel, that is because it is low grade 'Ferritic Stainless Steel' so has a fair amount of carbon in it.

Nevertheless as Andy pointed out, it is dirty, stained and brown, but is SS Mad

Post #115041 28th Sep 2011 1:15 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Quote:
EYorkshire wrote
Nevertheless as Andy pointed out, it is dirty, stained and brown, but is SS Mad

I bet its looking all shiny & sparkly on the 14th Whistle

Post #115043 28th Sep 2011 1:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>