« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Buying 1967 LR Series 2A - Advice Needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Simon67

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey
Buying 1967 LR Series 2A - Advice Needed

Hi All Bit sad but have long term wish to buy a Landy the same age as me, we will both be 43 years old and the Landy will be in better nick than me Rolling with laughter Have found a nice one at LR classic dealer, but anything I need to be aware of or watch out for? Going to be a run about only, so no serious off road work and a weekend warrior.
Any advice gratefully received and subsequently ignored Rolling with laughter
I'm assuming I am not the only FL2 owner in the same boat

Simon

Post #115057 28th Sep 2011 5:00 pm
Fuzzkaz

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Firenze Red

I had one in my youth about 22 years ago a nice one with free wheeling hubs and an overdrive box but I still only got 17 - 20mpg on average. Granted it was fun but not for anything like a long journey. Good ones are rising in value now, I will assume you know about the usual door pillars and bulkheads and things like that, most have been replaced at least once by now, chances of it being "original" is probably nil. On a positive note it should be tax exempt.

All I can say really, having owned far too many old cars and bikes is that if you love them and accept that fixing them is half the fun of ownership you can't go far wrong. get AA membership and go for it, though I would recommend a classic bike as they are easier to push when they break down.

desireable, free wheeling hubs, overdrive or Salisbury axle and if you can get one with a diesel engine then so much the better, they might not be original features but they will make all the difference, then it is really down to little things like electric windscreen wipers and a heater, seatbelts and other trinkets. mine was great fun but the fuel costs put me off twenty years ago, so I sold it for a profit, got £600.00 for it, bet they cost more than that now. SD4 Sport LE Firenze Red - no options or modifications yet, but it's early days.

Post #115062 28th Sep 2011 5:26 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

make sure the 4 wheel drive knob works, to activate it push it down(red short stick), to cancel it pull the low/high lever(long yellow stick ) towards you the red knob should spring out again. only do this with car stationary, try low and high box and make sure it doesn't jump out of gear. check fuel tank under passenger seat for leaks and rust, the chassis out rigger thar holds the back of the tank is often shafted,
look at rear crossmember for detatchment from chassis legs and check spring hangers for rust
if car is ex military check gaiters on front universal joints for splitting and if there are no gaiters so much the better.

Post #115082 28th Sep 2011 10:34 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

hi restored ex military series 2a FFR many years ago parts avalabilty is good you may wish to look at LRO mag over last two or three months thay have been running workshop about 2a,IF YOU CANT FIND THE MAG go on the web if poss make sure it has had parabolic springs put on it will make the ride a bit less harsh and less maitenance for the springs (LAND ROVER OWNER MAG) hope this helps a little Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #115089 29th Sep 2011 7:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

A mate has just bought a fully restored one. all is well except its in some sort of desert camouflage type a cream colour. being a soft top it does look like someing elton john would drive,
(of course we never mention this this everytime he drives it Whistle ) At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #115090 29th Sep 2011 8:06 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1