« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > New car, I'm not happy :-(
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 
4500 miles

Well, we've done 4500 miles, some on road and a fair bit of gentle lolloping over fields...
I still can't stand the sound of lloyd's turbo (always have radio on these days), I also find him a bit more wallowy than Mildred, still feel he's underpowered... SD4 next time.
HOWEVER, did Durham to Edinbugh round trip yesterday with an MPG of 42! I'm very happy with that. Only managed 36MPG with Mildred.
Really looking forward to the snow because I know that's when he'll make me happy.

Post #109611 8th Aug 2011 8:41 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: 4500 miles

MightyMildred wrote:
Really looking forward to the snow because I know that's when he'll make me happy.

No snow on order this year, the country cant afford it.

Post #110442 17th Aug 2011 6:34 pm
taztastic

England 

Mona Geeza wrote:
MightyMildred wrote:

No snow on order this year, the country cant afford it.

It better bl :censored:dy snow!!

Post #110445 17th Aug 2011 7:15 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

MightyMildred wrote:
Well, we've done 4500 miles, some on road and a fair bit of gentle lolloping over fields...
I still can't stand the sound of lloyd's turbo (always have radio on these days), I also find him a bit more wallowy than Mildred, still feel he's underpowered... SD4 next time.
HOWEVER, did Durham to Edinbugh round trip yesterday with an MPG of 42! I'm very happy with that. Only managed 36MPG with Mildred.

Very different experience for me over the fist 5,000 miles: I can barely hear the turbo, but that might be something to do with the fact that I can no longer hear bats either! Rolling Eyes Meanwhile, my TD4 never feels underpowered either, despite the fact that my other car has just over twice the power and weighs around 500 Kgs less. Any more power than this would only show up the handling...

Meanwhile, averaging around 32.7 mpg driving gently Sad

Post #110448 17th Aug 2011 7:36 pm
Ramiu5

Sweden 2011 LR2 SD4 HST Auto Ipanema Sand

Our 2011 SD4 also has that sound. We noticed it the moment we picked it up from the deals and reported it right a way.

Land Rover claimed it was an error and we were told they were going to fix it.

Here three month later, and after three weeks with our car in the shop, they now admit it’s a production error and they can’t fix it.

Who in their right mind approves the car for production with a sound like that?

This is our third Land Rover and we were prepared for minor errors and tweaks but this out of line.

Post #112230 6th Sep 2011 2:24 pm
MacWallace

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

I have had my11 SD XS for three months now and very pleased with every aspect. Certainly more power than my previous TD4 and MPG is always around the 38. The car is very smooth, particularly on the motorway and there is no Turbo whine at any speed.

If it is a production fault, why does it not happen to all? Sounds to me that it is more likely to be faulty part/s which should be replaced under warranty.

Post #112235 6th Sep 2011 2:58 pm
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

Ramiu5,
indeed this irritating noise does seem to affect some of us more than others. My neigbours FL2 MY11 called William is perfect in every way. They totally love him and he has no turbo whirr.
Lloyd (MY11 HSE) feels underpowered (Mr MM also confers on this)-especially at low revs. Then the whirr kicks in. I don't notice it as much these days as I never have the radio off.
I hasten to add that this is Lloyd's second turbo and he still sounds the same. Was in the garage weeks!!!!! All I got from LR was it's a characteristic of the car, it was within tolerances and I could have a free service.
Enjoy...

Post #112266 6th Sep 2011 8:09 pm
beamo

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I won't be happy if the MY12 features 'LED signature lights' like the disco... Would have liked them on the MY11. Sad Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual MY11 - 61REG Stratstone Mayfair
Sumatra black, cloth, DAB Radio, Park Distance Control Front, Privacy Glass, 17" Full Size Spare Wheel.
Aftermarket: Mudflaps

Post #112730 11th Sep 2011 9:27 am
taztastic

England 

My car has a whistle, however, I can only detect it when on the multiple storey car park, back off the throttle and it gives a little whistle. Never hear it at other times.
Averages 38 on longer runs and drops to 35 when getting short trips thrown in.
Power is very good and surprised at the mpg, as it certainly gets exploited.

As for LED fairy lights, a small horizontal strip would be acceptable the ones are the disco are simply horrid..

Will Lloyd be coming to Halewood?

Post #112732 11th Sep 2011 9:47 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

beamo wrote:
I won't be happy if the MY12 features 'LED signature lights' like the disco... Would have liked them on the MY11. Sad

Dont worry you can turn time forward by buying the parts yourself and making a facsimily of a new car, "a relic with a re-tuned nose"

The Smiths next door will be so jealous thinking you have money to burn on new cars. meanwhile all the young ladies in the district will suddenly want to sleep with you. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #112734 11th Sep 2011 10:48 am
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

Hi Taztastic!
Yup, Lloyd will be coming with me. Does anyone know if we are going to
meet up on the way? I also still need to pay but works so mental at the moment, it's always after 7 before I draw breath!
MM

Post #112885 12th Sep 2011 6:59 pm
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

After 8months of unsatisfactory turbo whistle intrusion into the cabin, I can announce there is a fix.
So ask your dealer or take your whistler to TVLR.
They replace the steering column seal and the irritating noise that has plagued many for months will disappear.
Congrats to the engineers at LR.
Lloyd still has some outstanding issues and if they can be addressed I will post.
Although we have one fix (which I am totally delighted about), the whole experience has left me exhausted.

Post #121274 23rd Nov 2011 8:32 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I mentioned 5 or 6 months ago that the noise was likely to be penetrating through the bulkhead around the pedals due to a grommet failure of some kind.
Why on earth it has taken incompentant L/R so long to find a fix is beyond me !
I'm glad to hear Thats its fixed.

Post #121276 23rd Nov 2011 8:36 pm
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

Oldgeezer... I think Lloyd may be the first fixed in the UK.
You were spot on. Fab chaps at LR have redesigned the seal where the steering column enters the cabin.
Good bit of engineering.

Post #121277 23rd Nov 2011 8:41 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

"Posted 22nd of June"

quote "I would suggest that if you can hear the turbo from inside the cabin iether the turbo is noisey or there is a bung missing in the bulkhead, or a steering colomb rubber seal is out of place, I would be looking under those pedals to see where the noise is coming in ! as the turbo is right below your drivers feet ! This is where I suspect the problem lies but something the dealers would never think off ! as there is excuse for everything is they all do it !
It may mean putting a smoke pellet near the turbo and shining a torch around the pedal area to see if any smoke appears or shinning a very bright light in the back of the engine bay at night and glancing around the pedal area, but sure this is where you need to concentrate on. "

Look like I had even suggested steering column seal. This is a problem with so many cars and another is a noisey engine due to a badly fitted windscreen which allows noise into the cabin.
Very Happy Very Happy

Post #121344 24th Nov 2011 1:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 10 <12345678910>