« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Nervous Apprehension!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Tigger

United Kingdom 

djwhyte wrote:
Besides, you have three years warranty on it (assuming you are buying it brand spanking new)

Land Rover are one of the very few manufacturers who give a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty, which is great for people like me where the usual 3 year / 60,000 mile warranty runs out before 2 years are up! Evil or Very Mad If they are still prepared to stand by their vehicle when it has 100,000 miles on it, then that counts for a lot.

Post #111552 30th Aug 2011 1:11 pm
apc67

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Fellas thanks for taking the time to post and reassure me. I am looking forward to picking it up and yes it is new. An earlier post mentioned having the correct tyres on it, the Grabber ATs, are they more designed for off road or can you use them on tarmac without affecting fuel consumption and ride quality too much?

Post #111558 30th Aug 2011 1:25 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

apc67 wrote:
Fellas thanks for taking the time to post and reassure me. I am looking forward to picking it up and yes it is new. An earlier post mentioned having the correct tyres on it, the Grabber ATs, are they more designed for off road or can you use them on tarmac without affecting fuel consumption and ride quality too much?

You'd be shocked how far you can venture into the mud with the standard M+S (Mud & Snow) tyres on; they are what are used as standard fitment on the Land Rover Experience vehicles. Take care as many of the AT tyres don't have the correct V speed rating for the car.

Post #111561 30th Aug 2011 1:49 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Tigger wrote:
djwhyte wrote:
Besides, you have three years warranty on it (assuming you are buying it brand spanking new)

Land Rover are one of the very few manufacturers who give a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty, which is great for people like me where the usual 3 year / 60,000 mile warranty runs out before 2 years are up! Evil or Very Mad If they are still prepared to stand by their vehicle when it has 100,000 miles on it, then that counts for a lot.

Many makes of car sold in Norway have a 5-year/100,000 km warranty period these days Thumbs Up except Land Rover of course which has the normal 3-year/100,000 km whichever comes first.

However I wouldnt expect any car manufacturere to realy "be prepared to stand by thier vehicle when its done 100,000 miles (over 160,000 kms)", that MUST be a bit of an overstatement Shocked 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #111578 30th Aug 2011 4:47 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

I thought 3yr unlimited mileage warrantys were normal for any decent brand?? Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #111582 30th Aug 2011 5:28 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black
Re: Nervous Apprehension!!

apc67 wrote:
I am due to collect my first Freelander on Saturday, SD4 HSE in Orkney grey with a couple of extras on it. I have always been used to the reliability and build quality of German cars but as i now need to commute to work I need someting that will get me there if the winters become bad on a regular basis.

Having spent a long time reading posts on this forum I cant help feeling nervous about what I have let myself in for. There are so many negative posts regarding poor build quality, poor reliability and bad customer care - surely the Freelander caqnt be as bad as the picture that is being painted. Usually I am dead excited about picking up a new car however this time i find myself questioning whether I have made the right choice.

Please, if you have a freelander that you love and one that is a good car, put some plus points on here to reassure this old soldier that he hasnt made the wrong choice.

Thanks

In my line of work I valet many German cars & I can assure you I have heard many horror stories regarding those too from their owners. I would say nothing is infallable!! BMW generally being the worst. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #111586 30th Aug 2011 5:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Tigger wrote:
apc67 wrote:

You'd be shocked how far you can venture into the mud with the standard M+S (Mud & Snow) tyres on; they are what are used as standard fitment on the Land Rover Experience vehicles. Take care as many of the AT tyres don't have the correct V speed rating for the car.

Now on my second FL2, first one was a 07SE which i traded in after 35000 virtually trouble free miles for an MY11 XS which is the modern equivalent of the SE. Second one has done 8500 trouble free miles - have had no need to visit a Dealer for anything. Both mine came with Continental CrossContact standard 17 inch tyres and also had a set of Wranglers and had no trouble in snow in the Alps or UK.

APC67 as I've suggested get yourself booked on an Experience Day and get to see what the Freelander 2 can do off road (and on if you wish). East of England Experience have just taken delivery of a new SD4 HSE which is a lovely vehicle and on standard fit M&S tyres.

Last edited by rchrdleigh on 30th Aug 2011 8:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #111587 30th Aug 2011 5:36 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

AndyC wrote:
Tigger wrote:
djwhyte wrote:

Many makes of car sold in Norway have a 5-year/100,000 km warranty period these days Thumbs Up except Land Rover of course which has the normal 3-year/100,000 km whichever comes first.

However I wouldnt expect any car manufacturere to realy "be prepared to stand by thier vehicle when its done 100,000 miles (over 160,000 kms)", that MUST be a bit of an overstatement Shocked

There really is no mileage limit, it's not an overstatement.

Post #111590 30th Aug 2011 6:06 pm
mr_smith

United Kingdom 

My first Freelander 2 was a privately leased GS on an 07 plate. Both my wife and myself absolutely loved it. We did 2000+ miles in France within the first month. In fact, we loved that much that we bought our second GS (MY10) and that has been fantastic too. I have been driving for 30 years and this has been the only car I have had two of. Oh, and it's capabilities in the snow and ice will astound you.

Post #111679 31st Aug 2011 1:02 pm
adrian_fl2

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tonga Green

Almost fault-free 08 HSE with 60K miles. More reliable than any of the BMW or VW cars I've had and much more comfortable! Freelander 2 TD4 HSE auto Tonga Green/Alpaca

Post #111691 31st Aug 2011 4:04 pm
cyberil

United Kingdom 

Had my Freelander 2 GS for 3 year's only 26,000 miles with no major problems. Owned it from new. Then, last month 10 days after the warranty ran out it developed a massive oil leak. Gearbox needed removing to replace a £10 oil seal...total cost £1,200.

Land Rover didn't want to know and couldn't care less. I explained that I was now going to be buying a new car and I would get a LR if they covered the cost of the repair. I had previously registered interest in the Evoque and was prepared to give a hefty deposit right away. They stuck two fingers up at me and after a lot of arguing made a measly 33% contribution...so two weeks ago I went out and spent around £30,000 on a new car, but guess what...it wasn't a Land Rover.

LR cars are OK, but make sure it's under warranty...and BTW Range Rover come bottom of the What Car reliability survey.

So, LR customer service, I'm having the last laugh Rolling with laughter

Post #111698 31st Aug 2011 7:01 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

"Land Rover didn't want to know and couldn't care less."
My experiences exactly !

My advice would be make sure you have extended warranty if keeping over three years ! and if you are unlucky and it starts going wrong , don,t let them repair just reject it ! because my mistake appears to be the fact that i have let them keep repairing it ! and repairing it and repairing it and like cyberil's mines only just broken 20,000 mark now.

Its a great vehicle the way they drive and many do appear to have trouble free motoring ! so it would appear I'm the odd one out but a little help would of gone along way and even a bit of customer service would of been better.

I'm sure yours will be fine so just enjoy

Post #111701 31st Aug 2011 7:20 pm
Simon67

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

All I can say is I had a Disco 3, got a FL2 because we didnt need the size but loved the car. The FL2 is everything the Disco was but smaller Very Happy Mine has been fault free and just got another FL2 to replace the first one.
If you really want a crap car - buy anything French. Understand Citroen is quite scary to own.

Great car, enjoy the warranty and extend it past three years - I love my car and you don't say that about a BMW. Rolling with laughter

Post #111706 31st Aug 2011 7:34 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Simon67 says
"If you really want a crap car - buy anything French. Understand Citroen is quite scary to own."

I have two ! Mine have been Brilliant and mine has done double the miles of the FR2 and has never ever let me down ! Its over 4 years old and has had 2 tyres, one wiper blade and an indicator bulb a week ago !
Both my Citreon's are actually Toyota's re-badged !
Customer service has been fantastic and the dealer brilliant.
My Wife's Fiesta TDCis all of them have 100% fault free history and my jaguars before were fantastic so it aint me !

My history on my FR2 covers 6 pages of A4 ! and it still ain't right and has 7 failures in the last 6 weeks alone !!
OK so i have a bad one but if it could be fixed it would be great but there is something fundamentally wrong with mine but L/R refuse to accept this ! and just keep bouncing me back to the dealer. With the things i see my FR2 do I know its just a jinxed car !

Post #111708 31st Aug 2011 7:43 pm
cyberil

United Kingdom 

oldgeezer

You should sell the car like I'm doing in a few weeks, once my new car arrives, as I can't be bothered with problem cars...

2012 Jeep Wrangler JK on order...probably not the most reliable car...but more fun than a Landie and it's a convertible!!!

Good luck...with LR customer service you just have to wear them down...I would have ordered another LR if it wasn't for their arrogant and obnoxious attitude (I hope someone from LR is reading this post)

Paul

Post #111710 31st Aug 2011 7:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>