Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Nervous Apprehension!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
apc67

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Right then - took some pics of my FL2 now I have to try and work out how to upload them into a post - any tips?

Post #114014 20th Sep 2011 12:51 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

read: https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic5.html At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #114039 20th Sep 2011 2:40 pm
apc67

Thats a great pic of my car lol - how did u manage that??

Post #114040 20th Sep 2011 2:47 pm
apc67

CG sussed it - pics now displayed in My Freelander 2 Forum - cheers mate.

Post #114043 20th Sep 2011 2:57 pm
apc67

The replacement front passenger speaker has been successfully replaced by Harwoods of Basingstoke - very good service and a nice valet too. I must say that the Freelander is a nice place to be and it's quite noticeable when I switch between that and the X5. The build and finish quality is much better in the Beemer however the steering is much heavier and the ride is much stiffer too. Personally for the price difference I can live with the difference in build quality but I wouldn't swap the supple ride and light steering of the Freelander for anything !

Post #114498 23rd Sep 2011 1:38 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

apc67 wrote:
The replacement front passenger speaker has been successfully replaced by Harwoods of Basingstoke - very good service and a nice valet too. I must say that the Freelander is a nice place to be and it's quite noticeable when I switch between that and the X5. The build and finish quality is much better in the Beemer however the steering is much heavier and the ride is much stiffer too. Personally for the price difference I can live with the difference in build quality but I wouldn't swap the supple ride and light steering of the Freelander for anything !

In all fairness, the Freelander starts at £22,000, while the X5 starts at £45,000. It might be fairer to compare the quality of fittings on the X5 with the £36,000 Disco 4....

Post #114535 23rd Sep 2011 8:31 pm
apc67

Tigger I totally agree, my choice boiled down to The FL2 HSE or the new X3. The FL2 won on price and eqpt levels both of which were much better than BMW. For eqpt levels and cost the FL2 wins hands down which is why I bought it however I'm not being disloyal to Landrover by saying that the BMWs are better built. I love my FL2, if it stays reliable I will be a repeat buyer for many a year Thumbs Up

Post #114539 23rd Sep 2011 8:48 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

THe most unreliable car I've owned in the last 20 years was a MINI closely followed by a BMW 320 which used to stop for no resaon at traffic lights long before eco stop/start was all the rage.

Recently drove a BMW 330 Touring and was left distinctly underwhelmed by the quality of the interior and level of equipment and the ride and handling left much to be desired as well.

Now on my fourth Land Rover, Discovery 300 tdi, Discovery II YD5, Freelander 2 SE and Freelander 2 XS and touch wood all have been great vehicles. Driving a new SD4 HSE tomorrow morning and looking forward to having some fun it in.

Post #114543 23rd Sep 2011 9:18 pm
apc67

rchrdleigh wrote:
THe most unreliable car I've owned in the last 20 years was a MINI closely followed by a BMW 320 which used to stop for no resaon at traffic lights long before eco stop/start was all the rage.

Recently drove a BMW 330 Touring and was left distinctly underwhelmed by the quality of the interior and level of equipment and the ride and handling left much to be desired as well.

Now on my fourth Land Rover, Discovery 300 tdi, Discovery II YD5, Freelander 2 SE and Freelander 2 XS and touch wood all have been great vehicles. Driving a new SD4 HSE tomorrow morning and looking forward to having some fun it in.

You will enjoy the SD4 - I really am enjoying driving my FL2 - it is a really satisfying ride, sod the fuel economy, the driving position is superb, as are the eqpt levels and the stereo sound is superb - kings of leon and snow patrol where booming out today much to the envy of all who I passed.

Post #114546 23rd Sep 2011 9:34 pm
rchrdleigh

You're right I will enjoy it - just as much as I enjoyed driving a 60 reg one around the Land Rover Experience Off Road Course ar Rockingham Castle in December 2010 and July this year. Also getting to drive a Discovery 4 tomorrow afternoon and had some fun in an Evoke Pure SD4 auto last Tuesday.

And at the end of the day I get to go home in my 2011 MY TD4 manual XS and enjoy the delights of the excellent Land Rover six speed manual gearbox! (and no I'm not starting another manual vs auto debate as both are excellent and it comes down to personal preference and what you use the Freelander for!)

Post #114548 23rd Sep 2011 9:42 pm
apc67

rchrdleigh wrote:
You're right I will enjoy it - just as much as I enjoyed driving a 60 reg one around the Land Rover Experience Off Road Course ar Rockingham Castle in December 2010 and July this year. Also getting to drive a Discovery 4 tomorrow afternoon and had some fun in an Evoke Pure SD4 auto last Tuesday.

And at the end of the day I get to go home in my 2011 MY TD4 manual XS and enjoy the delights of the excellent Land Rover six speed manual gearbox! (and no I'm not starting another manual vs auto debate as both are excellent and it comes down to personal preference and what you use the Freelander for!)

How did you find the Evoque, I have had a poke around one in the local dealers but haven't driven one yet - the jury is out tbh. Im still getting to grips with the auto box, i struggle to recognise when the box is in top gear at times but apart from that it goes well.

Post #114556 23rd Sep 2011 10:05 pm
taztastic

England 

apc67 wrote:

How did you find the Evoque, I have had a poke around one in the local dealers but haven't driven one yet - the jury is out tbh. Im still getting to grips with the auto box, i struggle to recognise when the box is in top gear at times but apart from that it goes well.

Why are you bothered what gear it is in....
If you are approaching a situation were you may need a bit of oomph, shove the stick left and it will respond, if you really need oomph, bury the throttle and it will lockdown into the lowest safe gear, believe me, get some miles on it and it spill catch you out with the shove it has

Taz

Post #114558 23rd Sep 2011 10:17 pm
rchrdleigh

I've driven an SD4 and an Si4 and both are fabulous to drive. The SD4 is similar to the Freelander in some respects but is better in many. The chassis is particularly firm and this provides for excellent ride and comfort which translates into a good driving epxerience both on and off road. The Si4 is also an impressive drive although fuel consumption might put off a lot of people.

Overall it beats the Freelander in many areas but I'm still undecided as to whether it beats it enough for me to want to trade in my Freelander for one.

Post #114561 23rd Sep 2011 10:20 pm
rchrdleigh

rchrdleigh wrote:

Had a great morning in a Freelander SD4 going off road, had a pretty good afternoon in a Discovery 4 on the same site and ended up with 45 minutes in a Range Rover Vogue and then to cap an excellent day out went home in my Freelander 2 TD4. Overall highly impressed with the off road capability of all the vehicles I was in - Freelander went almost everywhere the Discovery went. They were all pretty good on road as well.

Post #114647 24th Sep 2011 8:27 pm
apc67

rchrdleigh wrote:
rchrdleigh wrote:

Had a great morning in a Freelander SD4 going off road, had a pretty good afternoon in a Discovery 4 on the same site and ended up with 45 minutes in a Range Rover Vogue and then to cap an excellent day out went home in my Freelander 2 TD4. Overall highly impressed with the off road capability of all the vehicles I was in - Freelander went almost everywhere the Discovery went. They were all pretty good on road as well.

Nice one - that is good to hear. I had a good tussle along the M3 with a X5 which was good fun. I have the West Country Experience to look forward to on 19 Nov.

Post #114676 24th Sep 2011 10:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>