« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > when will it stop going wrong
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

oldgeezer wrote:
Remember the 4WD FR2 comes into its own when it snows and leaves even the big BMW 4WD's behind

And especially leaves the big BMW 4WDs behind! Dunno about the very latest ones, but historically BMW 4WDs have been amazingly bad for a 4WD in snow or rough going ... Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #109408 6th Aug 2011 11:14 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

scott123
I have done a 176 mile run this morning in the eD4. Drives very well, even cornering round a roundabout hard the rear end is solid and doesnt jump around at all.
I set the cruise to 62mph and over the 176 miles it has returned 50.8mpg which I take my hat off to L/Rover the stop start technology and improved dynamics with just 2WD I have to say 50+mpg is something else for a car that size and its comfort is great.
If 2WD is for you then I would say you have made the right choice.

Post #109484 7th Aug 2011 10:30 am
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

BrianAbbott wrote:
oldgeezer wrote:
Remember the 4WD FR2 comes into its own when it snows and leaves even the big BMW 4WD's behind

And especially leaves the big BMW 4WDs behind! Dunno about the very latest ones, but historically BMW 4WDs have been amazingly bad for a 4WD in snow or rough going ...

One of the main reasons for this is that BMW sell their 4wd, in the UK anyway, with summer tyres on and most owners leave them on all year.

Post #109492 7th Aug 2011 11:37 am
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

[quote="Pedro"][quote="BrianAbbott"]

oldgeezer wrote:

One of the main reasons for this is that BMW sell their 4wd, in the UK anyway, with summer tyres on and most owners leave them on all year.

Not much good if youve just bought it in the midst of Winter then is it?

Post #109493 7th Aug 2011 11:48 am
Pedro

[quote="Mona Geeza"][quote="Pedro"]

BrianAbbott wrote:
oldgeezer wrote:

Not much good if youve just bought it in the midst of Winter then is it?

I couldn't agree more but I am sure that the salesman would be happy to sell you a winter wheel and tyre package !!

Post #109494 7th Aug 2011 11:52 am
oldgeezer

Well I finally have my FR2 back , I wonder how long this time before it lets me down, now had new EGR valve and instrument pack to add to the list of bits replaced !
Got it home and now the reverse sensors are just making one long tone. I hope its just water where its been cleaned !
The dealer have been very good and attentive now but it would certainly appear i have a Friday car if there is such a thing !
As for the car I have ZERO faith or trust in it and am too nervous to even go into my Garage to see if it starts and to go for a drive.
My wife wont drive it at all so it looks like it will remain low mileage !
I have to use it Sunday to take my Kids away to camp so if anyone spots a grey FR2 broken down at the side of the road be-warned the air will be blue ! Big Cry

Post #109693 9th Aug 2011 3:16 pm
oldgeezer

well since the 9th of August when I got it back yet again I really worry about using it but had to drop two of my Girls at camp the other day, only 70 miles and the PAS has now started whining ! so I guess that's the next thing on its way out. Went to collect them on Saturday and the rear brakes are squeaking ! whilst driving and now been suggested its the handbrake quadrants !
So that twice I have used it since ist return and that's two more things that need attention !
So historically every-time I get it out something goes wrong and its still continuing to go wrong ! I really don't think its ever going to run out of things going wrong ! I cant believe it at just 20,000 miles and under 38 months old !
I just haven't got the faith to even start it up to get it out the garage now even just to give it a wash !
That's 5 more things gone wrong in the last 1000 miles and its only done 176 since getting it back from the dealer yet again ! Big Cry

Post #110860 22nd Aug 2011 7:36 pm
m1964

United States 

seems like a "good" trade-in value to me. I'd suggest to get something Japanese next time. They don't drive as good, but most of them just do not have any problems up to 100K miles. You will walk into your garage with confidence!

Post #110993 24th Aug 2011 4:37 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

m1964 wrote:
seems like a "good" trade-in value to me. I'd suggest to get something Japanese next time. They don't drive as good, but most of them just do not have any problems up to 100K miles. You will walk into your garage with confidence!

I would agree, I really don't know how you have tolerated it up to now, I would have got rid months ago !!

Iain

Post #111008 24th Aug 2011 9:54 am
Pedro

m1964 wrote:

Not in my experience !! From 35 K miles everything on my RAV 4 started to pack up or fall off, although it never failed to start. As such, I would NEVER by a Japanese car again !!

Post #111017 24th Aug 2011 10:40 am
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 

I have a 7 year old Subaru Forester in which time the only failure has been the bulb in the clock. There have been no recalls and I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Forester is possibly the only car which has never had a recall!

I have a FL2 on order which has been delayed again (another thread) and from what I am reading here I am sorely tempted to cancel and avoid what looks like certain grief.

My experience, and that of my family,of Japanese cars is generally excellent. Wife had Honda Jazz for nearly 5 years and completely bomb-proof. Similarly a Honda CR-V. However, the gearbox in my Nissan X-Trail 2.5 Auto (petrol) needed a new valve of some description under warranty. The car didn't let me down though - the engine management light came on. Several Subarus in family and all bomb-proof - NEVER go wrong.

I think you must have been very unlucky Pedro.

Post #111024 24th Aug 2011 12:18 pm
oldgeezer

I should of got rid week 1 ! The week i bought it i went on holiday and had 14 faults in the first 3 weeks !
I have no idea why I tolerated it and think in the past I just kept thinking that there really cant be anything else to go wrong !
I have no idea how some of you guys just accept Landrover for what they are and tolerate such unreliability ! If no one tolerated it they would either have to change in quality or go bust !

I have never ever had a car as bad as this and all my other new cars have been great. In fact I bought a Citroen C1 before the L/Rover, its done double the mileage ! and only ever had service's two front tyres, 1 wiper blade and just last week its first bulb ! an indicator bulb at that !. But best of all is the service I get from the dealer is exemplary, they bend over backwards when i walk in and always remember my name etc etc etc .
I think L/R dealers are still in the days of service with 90's and 110's, agricultural style !
Sounds to me like Pedro was unlucky with his Rav 4 like I am with my FR2 piece of junk! worst of all is that its spent more time off the road and parked in the garage and has lost so much money ! 15 k lost in 3 years and 20,000 miles of utter unreliability and stress !
It wouldn't be so bad if L/R accepted the fact that mines junk and actually expressed an interest in sorting but there goes a pig ! Whistle

Post #111055 24th Aug 2011 6:21 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

GeorgeG wrote:
I have a 7 year old Subaru Forester in which time the only failure has been the bulb in the clock. There have been no recalls and I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Forester is possibly the only car which has never had a recall!

I have a FL2 on order which has been delayed again (another thread) and from what I am reading here I am sorely tempted to cancel and avoid what looks like certain grief.

My experience, and that of my family,of Japanese cars is generally excellent. Wife had Honda Jazz for nearly 5 years and completely bomb-proof. Similarly a Honda CR-V. However, the gearbox in my Nissan X-Trail 2.5 Auto (petrol) needed a new valve of some description under warranty. The car didn't let me down though - the engine management light came on. Several Subarus in family and all bomb-proof - NEVER go wrong.

I think you must have been very unlucky Pedro.

yes I would agree, the Forester was high on my list after doing a lot of research, test drives, etc

it really came down to the actual drive, as the Landrover still has something that the Japanese machines don't have.

Iain

Post #111098 25th Aug 2011 8:30 am
sweetfreedom

Hi Everyone, new to the forum and interested in the reliability issues (and fuel consumption)

We've had our fair share of hassle with our FL2 GS, mainly annoying elecetrical gremlins and a pompous main dealer more interested in RR customers....nothing new there!

Our FL2 was bought to supplement our amazing Jeep GC 3.0CRD (I'm running for cover!), both needing AWD all the time the FL was meant for longer journeys to save fuel but it hasn't turned out that way! The FL averages just 31mpg and the Jeep with 220bhp does 29mpg so the fuel savings aren't really there. Couple to that the constant reliability nervousness we find ourselves taking the Jeep most of the time!

However, we do love the FL. It has a great character and the best looking compact 4WD available no doubt about that. The Japanese cars are more reliable but they still miss out on the tactile thing, save perahps for the Qashqai which is pretty amazing, good luck to Nissan all made in the UK.

Anyway this reliability index from warranty direct is worth a look.

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/top-100 FL2 GS Auto '58reg

Post #111284 27th Aug 2011 11:25 am
sweetfreedom

PS:

another thing touched on in this thread...
Sorry to say this but who would want a 2WD Land Rover? Nobody will want one on the used market and residuals will be poor. A much better bet in that crossover area would surely be the Qashqai which does 57mpg and is better equipped and cheaper to buy.
Lots of manufacturers (Jeep, Chevrolet, Kia, Hyundai) seem to be trying to get on the Nissan bandwagon here but in my mind they are doing it with the wrong vehicles. Landrover should introduce a smaller (and much cheaper) crossover to cover that area IMHO.

Picture this: Nice rugged LandRover stuck in the snow on a modest sliproad incline....Oh the shame of it!!!! FL2 GS Auto '58reg

Post #111286 27th Aug 2011 11:54 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>