Total Votes: 147

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 41 of 93 <123 ... 404142 ... 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

cressus_66 wrote:
What's the general opinion about this:
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produkt...mp;land=DE ?
Seems to be something redundant. Or not?
Thanks!

I really like the last line:
"Our information is based on thorough research and may be considered reliable, although not legally binding."

Thumbs Up

It also recommends only half the mix that has been previously discussed on here. 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #99026 18th Apr 2011 7:08 am
cressus_66

Romania 

This is a ordinary lawyer's precaution.
Anyway, this brand is "beyond any doubt".
A choice well-known for connoisseurs.
The recommended mix is unrelevant because is another product, not two stroke oil.
Regards! Life is very hard but...good news...she's running like hell

Post #99158 18th Apr 2011 11:53 pm
kaanage

Australia 

Since yamaha-fan and DiscoGeorge have been driven off, I'll add that in my (short) experience adding 2SO @ 200:1 to my diesel, I haven't noticed any difference in running but my fuel consumption seems to have improved slightly (by about 5% so difficult to tell). My car is quite new, though, so maybe the effects aren't too obvious.

On the other hand, a friend who has the same car, except that his has done over 80,000km and has a polyureathane gearbox mount, noticed almost immediate reduction in noise and vibration in his car after adding 2SO to his diesel. Whether it is the age or the gearbox mount that makes the improvement so noticable, I'm not sure but he now wishes he had started using 2SO from when he first purchased the car.

Finally, my friend has tried various diesel additives in the past because they were recommended by local experts and has NEVER noticed any change in performance, smoke, noise, vibration or economy - 2SO is the ONLY additive that he has found to make any noticable difference to the running of his car.

As an aside, it would seem that TC-W3 spec 2SO would be better than any of the JASO spec oils for DPF equipped cars since the TC-W3 spec for sulphated ash is < 0.01% vs <= 0.09% for JASO FD.

Post #99403 21st Apr 2011 6:27 am
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

kaanage wrote:
Since yamaha-fan and DiscoGeorge have been driven off, I'll add that in my (short) experience adding 2SO @ 200:1 to my diesel, I haven't noticed any difference in running but my fuel consumption seems to have improved slightly (by about 5% so difficult to tell). My car is quite new, though, so maybe the effects aren't too obvious.

On the other hand, a friend who has the same car, except that his has done over 80,000km and has a polyureathane gearbox mount, noticed almost immediate reduction in noise and vibration in his car after adding 2SO to his diesel. Whether it is the age or the gearbox mount that makes the improvement so noticable, I'm not sure but he now wishes he had started using 2SO from when he first purchased the car.

Finally, my friend has tried various diesel additives in the past because they were recommended by local experts and has NEVER noticed any change in performance, smoke, noise, vibration or economy - 2SO is the ONLY additive that he has found to make any noticable difference to the running of his car.

As an aside, it would seem that TC-W3 spec 2SO would be better than any of the JASO spec oils for DPF equipped cars since the TC-W3 spec for sulphated ash is < 0.01% vs <= 0.09% for JASO FD.

Hi kaanage

while I have stopped posting regular replies on this topic I still follow it with keen interest. It was very interesting to read your comments, as they very clearly show that you were writing them with a background of experience and not some hairy fairy pseudo academic waffling.

I have recently changed the glow plugs on my 300Tdi (before the onset of winter) and they very clearly show the cleansing effect of 2sO.

After a total of 265'000km and 58'000km in my hands, the absolute lack of carbon deposits on them (they haven't been working for at least 30'000km as they were burnt out) is ample proof ôf the cleaning benefits of 2sO.

I have just returned from a 4000km round trip to Cape Town and surroundings with an average consumption of 8.7lt/100km. These are record figures for a 300Tdi as they relate to 1100km per full tank. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

When I first bought the car she was giving about 600km per tank (long distance open road) and had an oil consumption of about 400ml per thousand km. After 58000km this has now improved to 1100km per tank and an oil consumption of less than 0.05lt per 1000km. It showed full on the dipstick at the beginning of the trip and is still showing full after the 4000km. I did an oil dilution test and it was found to be negligent. The difference in consumption is as a result of the reduction of carbon deposits in the engine (power) and the reduction of deposits around the ring grooves (oil consumption). On a cold morning 5 Deg C. she starts on the first click of the starter. So there is definitely no compression problem. Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
1998 Disco1 ES 300Tdi with twin TrueTracs
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
And some more serious stuff

Post #99535 22nd Apr 2011 7:02 am
kaanage

Australia 

Good to know you're still about DiscoGeorge - I pm'd you a while back but the message is still in my outbox so I assumed you'd given this forum up.

Thanks for the extra pics - it all boosts my confidence that I'm doing the right thing using 2SO

Post #99552 22nd Apr 2011 9:15 am
kaanage

Australia 

So what do those who actually use 2SO in their diesels think about using TC-W3 spec oil rather than a JASO FB, FC or FD oil in order to protect a DPF?

The additional lubricating performance of the JASO spec oils (mainly higher rpm/temp) wouldn't seem to be relevent for use in a diesel engine.

Post #100129 28th Apr 2011 8:13 am
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Now everyone has had their say about adding 2 stroke oil to diesel would anyone care to comment on this link?

http://www.fueltechexperts.com

Realspeed Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #100130 28th Apr 2011 8:36 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Interesting stuff - sounds great....

on fleabay for 27.50 (inc postage)

Wonder if it's worth a try.

Will think about it over the weekend 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #100175 28th Apr 2011 3:52 pm
kaanage

Australia 

realspeed wrote:
Now everyone has had their say about adding 2 stroke oil to diesel would anyone care to comment on this link?

http://www.fueltechexperts.com

Well the title of this thread is "2-stroke oil and diesel" so it's a bit OT. They claim to do what 2SO does and the findings are similar but still anecdotal - do you find it more credible simply because a group with a website has posted their observations?

And are you referring to the BG244 additive? The link just takes me to a general page about car fuels.

Post #100241 29th Apr 2011 2:41 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

My mate changed the glo plugs on a 175,000 mile ford ranger in my work shop the other day. they may or may not be the originals from new no way of knowing but he has driven the last 60,000 , but either way they looked as clean as the ones above , my mates engine runs on morrisons finest supermarket diesel with no additives, just a cheap diesel flush annually before each mot At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #100255 29th Apr 2011 8:05 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Poddible word of warning, my mate used to add a 2 stroke mix to his diesel tank but the oil was red! He had his tank dipped one day by a roadside check and he wasd suspected of using red diesel! Took a long time to sort that one out! Apparently some heatinf fuels use a green dye just similar to some 2 strkoe oils ! Be carefull !

Post #100575 2nd May 2011 2:30 pm
cressus_66

Romania 

What's happend during this "roadside check"?
You can be more specific?
Thanks! Life is very hard but...good news...she's running like hell

Post #100647 3rd May 2011 1:21 am
chicken george

road side check is where the ministry take a sample of fuel from your tank to make sure it isnt tractor diesel. as tractor diesel has much less tax charged on it than road fuel diesel.
Some drivers have fitted two tanks to their cars on obvious one for the tax man to find and a hidden tractor fuel tank. (easily done on defenders). so often the inspector will take a sample from the feul filter or injector pump instead.

a mate of mine recently got caught running a brand new range rover on tractor fuel Laughing At work
At home

Post #100667 3rd May 2011 10:52 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

Did they impound the car CG?

Post #100697 3rd May 2011 3:23 pm
chicken george

No he went to court received a fine and had to pay back dated duty on the miles on the car. the car was quite new so not many miles on the clock At work
At home

Post #100711 3rd May 2011 5:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 41 of 93 <123 ... 404142 ... 919293>