« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > New Freelander delayed yet again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 
New Freelander delayed yet again

I ordered a new SD4 on 31 May and the estimated delivery date on the order form was given as 13 July. I received a 'phone call from dealer on 10 June advising me that the delivery date had changed to 30 August. They could not explain why this had happened but said they would honour the trade-in value given for 13 July delivery and I could take delivery on 1 September for new registration (would obviously help future trade-in value).

I have 'phoned the dealer a couple of times recently to check there were no hiccups. Everything seemed to be fine and I arranged a change of insurance for 1 September and let the dealer have an insurance certificate for the VED when I was told the car was due off the production line on 17 August. I was then told by the dealer that production had been delayed and it was due off the production line on Friday 19 August and they would 'phone me on Saturday 20 August to confirm. The call never came and I 'phoned last Monday 22 August to be told the car did not yet have a chassis number. When pressed they admitted that the build had not even started.

So far they have not been able to get a build date from Land Rover and I am completely in the dark. When I put it to the dealer that I found it strange that when you sign an order form they can give you a build date and estimated delivery date to the dealers premises, but when the car has been on order for almost three months and has been delayed on three occasions they are unable to give me any idea when it might be built. The dealer admitted they had never come across this situation before.

My main concern is that I have read various reports of Land Rover production completely going over to Evoques on 1 September as they have the launch due in the middle of the month and can't afford it to fail, even if it means upsetting a few prospective FL2 buyers. The dealer has also said that from next week (IIRC) Land Rover will only be delivering Evoques for some time. I previously read reports that engines and/or gearboxes are in short supply and these are common to the FL2 the Evoque and some of the Jags. My suspicion is that the latter is the problem and they are reluctant to admit it for fear of losing orders.

Anyone else on here had similar problems with your order? I don't think I am many days away from cancelling, particularly in view of some of the horror stories I have read on this forum regarding woeful reliability.You will see from another thread that I am used to bomb-proof Japanese bulid quality (and old style Volvo estates). I can't remember what it's like to break down as It hasn't happened since 1990 in a Citroen CX!

Post #111031 24th Aug 2011 1:02 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: New Freelander delayed yet again

GeorgeG wrote:
I ordered a new SD4 on 31 May and the estimated delivery date on the order form was given as 13 July. I received a 'phone call from dealer on 10 June advising me that the delivery date had changed to 30 August. They could not explain why this had happened but said they would honour the trade-in value given for 13 July delivery and I could take delivery on 1 September for new registration (would obviously help future trade-in value).

So far they have not been able to get a build date from Land Rover and I am completely in the dark. When I put it to the dealer that I found it strange that when you sign an order form they can give you a build date and estimated delivery date to the dealers premises, but when the car has been on order for almost three months and has been delayed on three occasions they are unable to give me any idea when it might be built. The dealer admitted they had never come across this situation before.

My main concern is that I have read various reports of Land Rover production completely going over to Evoques on 1 September as they have the launch due in the middle of the month and can't afford it to fail, even if it means upsetting a few prospective FL2 buyers. The dealer has also said that from next week (IIRC) Land Rover will only be delivering Evoques for some time. I previously read reports that engines and/or gearboxes are in short supply and these are common to the FL2 the Evoque and some of the Jags. My suspicion is that the latter is the problem and they are reluctant to admit it for fear of losing orders.

Anyone else on here had similar problems with your order? I don't think I am many days away from cancelling, particularly in view of some of the horror stories I have read on this forum regarding woeful reliability.You will see from another thread that I am used to bomb-proof Japanese bulid quality (and old style Volvo estates). I can't remember what it's like to break down as It hasn't happened since 1990 in a Citroen CX!

Ask them if you can swop your order for an Evoque and you might get one of the first one the road? Surprised

Post #111036 24th Aug 2011 2:59 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

Well I must have been unlucky cos the Toyota Rav 4 I had was the worst piece of under - engineered junk that I have ever owned !! Although it always started, from 35 K miles everything started to fail, break or drop off and i will NEVER buy a Japanese car again as long as I live. In fact, I have just traded it in for an FL2 !!

Post #111042 24th Aug 2011 5:04 pm
Scott123

Mona Geeza,
Welcome to my world.......
Have just paid out £500 to get my old Alfa Taxed, MOT and serviced due to FL not being delivered as promised.
Another poster expects to get his this week so will see how he gets on.
My current delivery date is Oct 22nd from April order point.

Post #111045 24th Aug 2011 6:05 pm
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 

Scott, what was your original estimated delivery date? As I said in my post my FL2 was ordered on 31 May with a delivery date approx six weeks later. This was then extended by a further seven weeks. It was meant to be built by 17 August and then 19 August and now nobody can give me any idea except to say it has been prioritised. To me this is PR speak to fob me off because they clearly have a problem with production and don't want to admit it.

I am reluctant to cancel having got this far but my car is due a service and MOT which can't be left indefinitely. I've read about poor land Rover customer service. I know what they mean now.

Post #111049 24th Aug 2011 6:16 pm
taztastic

England 

It is certainly strange what is happening.
I am still aware that delivery to the dealer will be tomorrow, the dealer checked last week and the Tuesday delivery did not happen as the car only came off assembly on Wed/Thur.
Yesterday I received an e-mail from Land Rover stating that my free 7 day drive away insurance had been passed to the dealer.
Finegrs crossed, good luck to everyone waiting.

Paul

Post #111051 24th Aug 2011 6:18 pm
Scott123

George G,
Original order date April 24th, delivery 12 weeks later on July 27th. Was then told that due to Japan supply chain issues they could not commit to a delivery date. Eventually got a delivery date about 4 weeks ago of Oct 22nd and told it would be a MY12 build. So in stead of selling my Alfa as planned I had to keep it much to buyer' disappointment who has now gone elsewhere. Some people now saying MY12 builds not until Nov so anybodies guess what is happening.
Scott

Post #111075 24th Aug 2011 8:13 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

If it were me I would go to the dealer get them to call LR & unless you get an honest answer there & then tell them to shove the order up the exhaust of an Evoque!
Then tell them (if all is still on) that you want an accessory or something to compensate the time wasted! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #111078 24th Aug 2011 9:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tigger

United Kingdom 

GeorgeG wrote:
I don't think I am many days away from cancelling, particularly in view of some of the horror stories I have read on this forum regarding woeful reliability.You will see from another thread that I am used to bomb-proof Japanese bulid quality (and old style Volvo estates). I can't remember what it's like to break down as It hasn't happened since 1990 in a Citroen CX!

I've driven Volvo V70 estates for the last 8 years (and about 230,000 miles in total) and we've had Volvos in the family going back to 1973 and although it is very early days, I can tell you that in the first 2 months and 6,000 miles it has been as trouble free as any Volvo that I have experienced.

You get a lot of froth from a small number of unhappy owners on any owners Forum, some with genuine faults, some with fairly minor ones blown out of all proportion. If you were to pay that much attention to fault reporting on any owner's Forum, I can assure you that you'd never buy another new car again! Rolling Eyes

Post #111089 24th Aug 2011 11:29 pm
EYorkshire

GeorgeG wrote:
I don't think I am many days away from cancelling, particularly in view of some of the horror stories I have read on this forum regarding woeful reliability.You will see from another thread that I am used to bomb-proof Japanese build quality (and old style Volvo estates). I can't remember what it's like to break down as It hasn't happened since 1990 in a Citroen CX!

Come on, I can go over to 'Nissan, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Mazda' and find many disgruntled owners. I have had no problems so I have not commented and that is how it is, you will only read the negative comments as people are in their element when they can have a good old moan.

Yes, there are genuine concerns from owners of some vehicles but they are outweighed by the many who find no need to post or belong to a forum. LR are no better or worse than any other in MY experience.

Take the Kia Sportage with the 12 month delay on the 2.0 litre diesel engine with only the 1.7 on offer to its customers a while back, it is global. Back what is left of the part British market or cancel and go buy Japanese.

Post #111093 25th Aug 2011 7:14 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

If the dealer is prepared to honour their original trade in value, this situation will be hurting them too. Also, until your car arrives and you've paid for it, they won't be making any money from the sale. I'm sure that they are pi**ed off too!

Do the T's & C's on your original contract allow you to cancel your order (without penalties) in the event of continued delays? If so, I would set a reasonable deadline for delivery, write to the dealer principal and inform him or her of this date and then cancel the order as of that date. You might find that they would be prepared to do an even better deal on a stock vehicle if you were prepared to compromise on spec and / or colour.

It's worth bearing with it for a while if you can, my experience with my Freelander has been absolutely brilliant! It would be such a shame to wind up with something like a Honda CRV, just for the want of waiting for another month or so.

Post #111095 25th Aug 2011 7:32 am
Bigbangman

Hi all

Just for info,

ordered mine 27 May which included FF options SD4 HSE

Built w/c 25/7

Del to dealer 5/8

Ready to collect with extra's fitted on new plate 2/9

Dealer experience so far can't be faulted and new where car was at every stage, ordered, built. delivered in just over 2 months!!

Regards

Post #111102 25th Aug 2011 10:04 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

thats like rubbing salt in to their wounds Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #111104 25th Aug 2011 10:14 am
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Let us know what colour and model ayou have ordered and we'll keep an eye out for them on ToeKnee's arranged visit to Halewood in October........ Twisted Evil

Either way as long as you have it for when the snow starts that the important point! There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #111117 25th Aug 2011 1:02 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

If you are not prepared to wait for it, you are not wanting it bad enough. I got my car a week earlier then planned but I would not cancel it even if I had to wait for it months later.

Think at it this way: they're that good they can't build them fast enough Whistle .

As with disgrunteled owners on this forum. Nobody writes about 'I've driven it back from work and had no issue with the car, everythin worked fine'. Only thing you get on forums like this IS problems.

I personally would not bother with any car forum normally, but I love this car so much I just love talking about it and what I've done with it. I got a smile on my face when I first drove a test car until I had to give it back. I got a smile on my face when I first got my own and to this day, more then 50k miles later, I still get a smile on my face when driving it from the moment I get in till I get out. I also would like to add that I actually hate driving as it is lost time, but in this thing I don't mind so much.

An other thing is that most people wine about their NEW car. Becouse it is still under warranty we nitpick on everything becouse it's a free fix. I bet that 90% of the issues would not get this amount of attention if the car was bought second hand out of warranty. I mean I had stuff replaced some silicone or glue would have fixed wright up, but I saw an opportunity to get a free replacement.
I mean, my steeringwheel was replaced under warranty becouse it had a 5mm scratch on it the untrained eye wont even notice. It had done like 40k miles and was getting a bit glossy from the use. Now it's mat like when it was new (becouse it is). Now it was a fault inflicted by the dealer, but they could have just as easily given me a discount on a service and polished it out.

So don't be put off by the negatives. In all the years I've been on this site I think I've only saw 2 people who sold their car becouse of issues, some upgraded to discos and sports and a few sold it becouse they could not justify the running cost to the purpose it was needed for, but they would have that same issue with any other comparable car.

If you study carefully you would notice, even not taking it's off-road capabilities in account, that any comparable car with the same amount of charisma (thinking of BMW and Mercs and alike) would easily cost you 5000 more, the freelander is you best value for money out there at the moment. Come winter you'll be laughing your head off.

And what's so special about LR, to my knowledge, LR is the only brand in the world that is supported by a community. Yes there are cars like the mazda mx5, the VW beetle, etc, but as a brand, I can't think of any other then LR. Went on my 2nd Land Rover Day which is held annually last weeknd here in Belgium. driving off-road, doing trials, and talking with other owners about how much fun they are. This is when you realize how impressive they really are.

Just my 2cents...

Post #111134 25th Aug 2011 3:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>