« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > 08MY SE as loaner - well impressed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
eutek

United Kingdom 
08MY SE as loaner - well impressed

I received an MY08 SE-spec Freelander as a loaner while my Defender is at the dealer's. Wow - well impressed.

I previously drove an auto gearbox XS-spec last year, and I didn't like it. There was a lot of torque steer and the handling was nervous, jumpy even.

A few weeks later I was given one with a manual gearbox (TD4_e), which was superb.

However this latest one is a dream to drive.

My question is - did anything aside from the comfort/trim levels change between an XS and an SE spec? Could the difference that I felt driving the various models be down just to the wear and tear on the individual cars?

The missus was taken with the SE, she couldn't believe how easy it was to drive compared to her car.

Post #109789 10th Aug 2011 7:30 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

" I previously drove an auto gearbox XS-spec last year, and I didn't like it. There was a lot of torque steer and the handling was nervous, jumpy even. "

There must of been something wrong with it as I have an 08 auto and never experienced any torque steer at all even with 1600+KG of caravan on the back and flat out acceleration even in the wet !. I have never experienced jitterish handling ! I have also had the pleasure of road testing just about every model of FR2 going for weeks at a time due to an ongoing issue with mine and I have to say the Auto is far better to drive and a lot quicker of the mark as well. Sounds to me like the auto you drove had a problem with the drive distribution.I would drive another.

Post #109797 10th Aug 2011 8:58 am
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

oldgeezer wrote:
" I previously drove an auto gearbox XS-spec last year, and I didn't like it. There was a lot of torque steer and the handling was nervous, jumpy even. "

There must of been something wrong with it as I have an 08 auto and never experienced any torque steer at all even with 1600+KG of caravan on the back and flat out acceleration even in the wet !. I have never experienced jitterish handling ! I have also had the pleasure of road testing just about every model of FR2 going for weeks at a time due to an ongoing issue with mine and I have to say the Auto is far better to drive and a lot quicker of the mark as well. Sounds to me like the auto you drove had a problem with the drive distribution.I would drive another.

Agreed Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #109798 10th Aug 2011 9:09 am
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Have owned 3 FL2 Autos, never any hint of torque steer, also had a couple of courtesy ones and they too were OK.
Could have been a haldex fault and only driving front wheels, I know FL2 is part time 4WD but if accelaating hard enough to feel torque steer it would normally have rear wheels engaged. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #109809 10th Aug 2011 10:39 am
russben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

I had torque steer with the e-D4 2wd courtesy car I had a few months ago. Never found it with my 4wd 2008 HSE. Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Gone - 2008 Freel2 HSE Santorini Black
Hello - 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black

Post #109851 10th Aug 2011 4:25 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Re: 08MY SE as loaner - well impressed

eutek wrote:
A few weeks later I was given one with a manual gearbox (TD4_e), which was superb.

Well said and absolutely true Thumbs Up

I have the TD4_e and it is sublime not only to drive but also saves costs on tax and fuel. I also found it useful whilst doing some hefty off roading recently in the Peak District. Whilst for off roading use manuals take a lot more faffing about and being careful with the clutch, I discovered that the TD4_e has an anti-stall device.

There was a stage where I was struggling for traction and the revs dropped but it did not stall. Lee was following in his pre-stop/start manual which did stall (the cars fault, not Lee's Smile )

If it does stall you simply press the clutch pedal down and it fires back up again.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic9603.html LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #109863 10th Aug 2011 5:17 pm
eutek

United Kingdom 

Thanks all for the input. The XS I was driving was rather ratty, as it was a loaner I'm sure it was abused.

Even the one I have now is a bit rough here and there, but the overall quality of the design and materials is apparent.

The missus is very taken with the Freelander... especially since she can adjust the seat w/o the use of a bolster cushion.

I was also impressed when I popped the bonnet... I was expecting a lot of stuff to be crammed in there, but to my surprise the layout was logical and everything appeared to be easily accessible.

Definitely in the cards as a replacement for her car. I wouldn't mind one for myself to do the daily commute!

It is the easiest car to drive... I look forward to the drive in to work in the morning. Land Rover can take their time sorting my Defender out. Very Happy

Post #109929 11th Aug 2011 8:18 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1