« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > 2nd service price
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Hippo

United Kingdom 
2nd service price

What sort of price should I expect to pay for a 2nd service (it's 2 years old) on a metropolis in the UK?
Will be done at a main dealer to keep the LR warranty. Hippo's videos - Honorary Tratterer

Post #308381 4th Oct 2016 1:38 am
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

I have the same car & age , I paid £403 .. I got a 20% discount from the dealer I bought the car from . Local dealer wanted over £500 Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Last edited by Purplemadboy on 4th Oct 2016 7:22 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #308385 4th Oct 2016 6:01 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I'm pretty sure under the EU block exemption law, you are not required to have a car maintained by a manufacturer dealer to maintain the warranty. As long as it is done to the same standard using equivalent quality parts the warranty will remain valid. I have self maintained three cars and two motorcycles that I have bought from new and each time I have had confirmation of the above from the manufacturer. In the event of a disputed warranty claim, it is down to the manufacturer to prove the service or parts were at fault and not for the owner to prove they weren't. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #308386 4th Oct 2016 6:59 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
Re: 2nd service price

Hippo wrote:
What sort of price should I expect to pay for a 2nd service (it's 2 years old) on a metropolis in the UK?
Will be done at a main dealer to keep the LR warranty.

Haggle for £350. I did a while back and paid that. Very Happy FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #308388 4th Oct 2016 8:01 am
Metropolis

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Steve D wrote:
I'm pretty sure under the EU block exemption law, you are not required to have a car maintained by a manufacturer dealer to maintain the warranty. As long as it is done to the same standard using equivalent quality parts the warranty will remain valid. I have self maintained three cars and two motorcycles that I have bought from new and each time I have had confirmation of the above from the manufacturer. In the event of a disputed warranty claim, it is down to the manufacturer to prove the service or parts were at fault and not for the owner to prove they weren't.

The garage must also be VAT registered.

I paid £380 for my 2nd Main Dealer Service.

Post #308390 4th Oct 2016 8:27 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Unless things have changed, the garage definately does not have to be VAT registered. As said above, I did all my own servicing on new vehicles/bikes. This only applies to new vehicles within the manufacturers new vehicle guarantee - 3 years for cars and two years for motorcycles. What you may be getting confused with are used and third part warrantys when VAT registered receipts are needed so that 'proof' of servicing cannot be backdated.

Edit: Block Exemption Regulations:

Servicing a new car

Changes to the BER in 2002 included clauses intended to increase choice when it comes to servicing of a new car. You cannot be obliged e.g. as a condition of warranty, to have your car serviced by a franchised dealer.

Other changes at that time permitted multi-brand showrooms and no longer obliged dealers to combine sales and service/repair – though most have continued to do so.

The work can be carried out by an independent garage as long as that garage uses manufacturer approved parts and correctly follows the manufacturer's service schedule. Independent garages generally have much lower overheads than franchised dealers so their hourly labour rate is also cheaper.

Although you are free to have your car serviced at whichever garage you like - and benefit from the cost savings - you can't then expect much help and goodwill from the manufacturer if the car develops a major fault just after the warranty has expired. Manufacturers often cite lack of loyalty on the customer's part as the reason for their decision not assist with the cost of a repairs after the warranty has expired. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Last edited by Steve D on 4th Oct 2016 1:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #308391 4th Oct 2016 8:34 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Some of you may well laugh but check out ATS - I have known the local manager for 20 years or more and when quizzed he assured me that all the correct parts and oil are per manufacturers spec (shell helix ultra professional). They buy in the service pack from Europarts and use the correct Shell oil rather than from a 50 gallon barrel out the back. 50 point hard copy check list and yes even the door hinges are greased. Circa £240 Thumbs Up

edit - you even get a 1litre spare can of oil. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #308393 4th Oct 2016 9:07 am
Yorky Bob

Still a lot of confusion about oil out there as later models must use a DPF oil with a "WSS-M2C-934B" rating and last time I looked Shell Oil (AND MOST OTHERS) did not hit that. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #308394 4th Oct 2016 9:15 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Although you have the legal rights stated above I have taken the view with cars like the FL2 that you buy from a dealer and get it serviced preferably at the place you bought it. Yes it's more expensive but if (when) you get problems there is absolutely no issue.
We had a few problems with a well maintained Porsche 911 bought from a non franchised dealer and with Warranty Direct and I don't want to go down that route again. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #308395 4th Oct 2016 9:17 am
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Have a look at this

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic25762.html

Steve

Edit Doh!! that is Censored !! Less than 3 years old!!

Last edited by jenks1950 on 4th Oct 2016 9:53 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #308397 4th Oct 2016 9:51 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

SHELL HELIX ULTRA PROFESSIONAL AF-L 5W-30
Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF-L 5W-30
Fully synthetic motor oil – Tailored to meet engine manufacturers’ special requirements.

Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF-L 5W-30:

Is designed to meet the demanding requirements of particular high-performance engines, including Ford, Jaguar and Mazda, and those requiring ACEA C1
Shell and Ford have local relationships in many countries, and Shell is a major supplier to Ford in India and the USA
Passes an extensive range of performance tests to meet engine oil specification WSSM2C934-B
Specifications: Ford WSS-M2C934-B; ACEA C1. Meets the requirements of Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.03.5005. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #308398 4th Oct 2016 9:52 am
Yorky Bob

As I said tenet "last time I looked".

Seems Shell has got its act together then:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/search/go?w=WSS-M2C934-B Thumbs Up and Opie do a Freel2 discount. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #308399 4th Oct 2016 10:35 am
Hippo

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the feedback. Reason for going to a main dealer is to have all "manufacturer" known faults checked for at the same time, and all updates to computers etc. Normally I would service and repair it myself. I've done that with my FL1. Armed with my hawkeye I feel confident but it's less hassle for warranty claims if LR built and serviced it. Anything goes wrong then it's their problem. I plan to keep it for a long time so it will be dealer serviced for a few years then probably done by myself thereafter. Hippo's videos - Honorary Tratterer

Post #308413 4th Oct 2016 2:54 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I can fully understand your point - I'm in the trade myself and our Evoque is going in to a main dealer for service and software update on Thursday for the same reasons as you. Mind you, we bought a used approved one so two years servicing, LR assist and warranty came as part of the deal! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #308417 4th Oct 2016 3:43 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

Hippo wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Reason for going to a main dealer is to have all "manufacturer" known faults checked for at the same time, and all updates to computers etc. Normally I would service and repair it myself. I've done that with my FL1. Armed with my hawkeye I feel confident but it's less hassle for warranty claims if LR built and serviced it. Anything goes wrong then it's their problem. I plan to keep it for a long time so it will be dealer serviced for a few years then probably done by myself thereafter.

I totally agree with you taking it to a LR dealer until its out of warranty but I think your are dreaming if you think they will "check for all known faults, update computers etc twice with two different dealers they have forgoten to reset my service reminder on the dash & one forgot to stamp book. Makes you wonder then if the likes of the fuel filter etc do get changed Big Cry

Post #308418 4th Oct 2016 4:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>