« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > rear haldex unit vent snapped off help needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Alan Lee

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Fuji White
rear haldex unit vent snapped off help needed

Hi everyone I just drove for an hour and a half to my weekend break towing my 1st time out caravan and when I arrived in my FL2 sport and went to unhitch my unit there was oil up the back of the FL and front of the caravan. I looked underneath to find the breather on top of the haldex/diff unit was broken off flush with oil all around it. My FL was in my local Hatfields for diff bearing replacement only 2 months ago and the FL is 2011 with just 32k on the clock. I don't know whether the breather was damaged during that time or has corroded or something but I cant see it as a replaceable item on any exploded view part lists etc. I called Hatfields and booked it in first thing in the morning and I will see what they are prepared to do. Has anyone else experienced this and how do you repair it I thought if the worst came to it I could drill out the broken bit and insert a piece of brake pipe etc.

Post #299205 22nd May 2016 10:19 pm
Alan Lee

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Fuji White
update to thread

Well following my visit to Hatfield's they confirmed there was a repair needed but could not offer any reason something must have hit the breather from below the vehicle and as it was in fact December when they did the diff work they didn't consider it something related. The bottom line is £485 reduced to £400 to remove diff again drill out the broken tube and effect a repair by replacing the said breather tube. I don't have much choice but wouldn't you think a vehicle supposed to be capable of off road use would have a stronger less easily broken diff breather. Rolling Eyes

Post #299367 24th May 2016 10:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1