« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Facelift Bumper
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black
Facelift Bumper

After over a year of eBay watching, I managed to pick up a facelift bumper in the right colour which fingers-crossed won't need too much doing do it. I didn't pay too much so if it does need a re spray / remedial work it won't be the end of the world.

It looks like it's from an 'S' Freelander as the Foglight holes are blanked so I'll need to pick up a couple of Foglight bezels.

I know there are many great posts on here about fitting the facelift bumpers so I've got some reading to do. A question in the meantime, if I may?

This bumper looks from the photos not to have any holes for the headlamp washers, which I'll need to add. Does anyone know if it is literally just a hole/slot to drill or are there other hidden problems adding washers to a bumper?

Last edited by le bouch on 21st Apr 2015 12:41 pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #260543 15th Apr 2015 10:58 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Have you got the washers on your existing bumper?
I did my bumper change two years ago, my old bumper is hanging in my garage roof and I've just eyeballed it. There are just odd shaped holes . Basically a round hole first then a key slot each side the one key slot has a second cutout so as to locate the jet in a set orientation. The jets just have a sliding flat spring clip.
Maybe loosen your bumper, pull forward, remove your jets. Push bumper back and make a card template relative to the headlamp corner. However, have you looked at the new bumper? It may be marked on the back with a profile ready to cut.
Kind regards from Fred.
. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #260557 15th Apr 2015 3:23 pm
le bouch

Hello Fred and thanks for the reply.

Yes, I do have washers on my existing bumper - thanks for the advice. The new one hasn't arrived yet so I'm not sure if there is a template for the cutouts.

However.. Of more concern to me now is that I completely forgot to ask the seller if the bumper had foglight housings built in. He sent me a picture (below) which suggests not Embarassed

Looks like I'll need to work out how to remove the housings from my existing bumper and attach to the new one - possibly melding the plastic with a soldering iron or sticking with sikaflex or similar.

On another note, the helpful advice re bumper removal / fitting previously posted by Mav71 and Macpherson Strut seems to have disappeared from the forum Question

Click image to enlarge

Post #260561 15th Apr 2015 4:21 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Re. bumper removal see my post in this thread: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic22951.html

There's a link to a youtube video which gives you what you need. Note my comment regarding access to one of the bolts too. It's a one man job if you unbolt the bumper leaving a couple of bolts at the top, then ease it forward and disconnect the electrics before removing completely.

Post #260565 15th Apr 2015 5:15 pm
le bouch

Thanks. Funnily enough I watched that video earlier and thought it was odd that they didn't leave the top bolts in til last!

I need to watch it again - how did they access the troublesome bolt without using two extensions etc?

Post #260566 15th Apr 2015 5:21 pm
fredastaire

I've had a look at the back of my pre facelift bumper, they are nothing like the facelift bumper having a 'cone' moulding to hold the fog light.
You really need the proper back LR fog mounting.
Kind regards from Fred
. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #260569 15th Apr 2015 5:36 pm
le bouch

Nuts Big Cry

So the housings coming off my bumper will be rounded and need to fit over the rectangular-ish extrusions on the face-lift bumper? Impossible?

Post #260570 15th Apr 2015 5:48 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

le bouch wrote:
I need to watch it again - how did they access the troublesome bolt without using two extensions etc?

They cheated - they'd already had the bumper off, so on the video it appears that, because it was already loose, they could remove it by hand with a single extension bar and no wrench! Mine wasn't that obliging.

Post #260571 15th Apr 2015 5:51 pm
le bouch

fredastaire wrote:
I've had a look at the back of my pre facelift bumper, they are nothing like the facelift bumper having a 'cone' moulding to hold the fog light.
You really need the proper back LR fog mounting.
Kind regards from Fred

So I've managed to find a photo of the rear of a pre-facelift bumper, below. Is that the complete Foglight housing? If so, it looks like it's fixed to 4 tabs.
I seem to have 4 unused tabs on my bumper - is it wishful thinking that the 'old' housing will just fit over the rectangular extrusion (which as far as I can see is just for mounting the bezel, or in my case blanking plate) and then weld to those tabs?

Click image to enlarge

Post #260573 15th Apr 2015 6:18 pm
fredastaire

Hi Le Bouch,
if you look at the rear of the pre facelift you will see four holes and outboard of them four slots. There are special plastic nuts that have a tab on them and they slide in, the tab fits through the slot to stop them rotating as you put the self tap screws in to fasten the fog light.
It would be worth asking Dan at Duckworths if the facelift bumper comes in parts when new, ie can you buy the fog adaptor flange. If yes then it might be better to buy a pair and sell your old bumper off to regain funds.
I suspect that your cones will not fit over the square housings.
Maybe you could fabricate an aluminium adaptor plate?
or.....does any member of the forum have a scrap damaged facelift bumper...............which might donate the adaptors?
Kind regards from Fred 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
2009 Meriva

Post #260601 15th Apr 2015 9:41 pm
le bouch

Thanks Fred.

I guess pertinent questions would be 'what does the foglight mounting on a facelift bumper look like? Are they same for both bumpers?'

If so, then my round mountings may well fit over the flange on a facelift bumper. ..

Post #260604 15th Apr 2015 10:36 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Does this help?

Post #260606 15th Apr 2015 11:12 pm
le bouch

Thanks, but unfortunately not. I need to see the reverse of the facelift bumper - to see the housings that the Foglights screw into. Are they the same housings as on the pre-facelift bumper?

Thanks anyway Thumbs Up

Post #260607 15th Apr 2015 11:24 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Looks like they are different housings?

Post #260609 15th Apr 2015 11:29 pm
le bouch

The bezels and general front presentation are indeed different but neither of those pics unfortunately show the extra fitting which is welded to the rear of the bumper - this is the bit the lamps actually mount to.
You can see in this pre-facelift bumper how the housing is attached by four tabs.

This next pic is the reverse of 'my' facelift bumper. You can see the four tabs, (the top two are mostly hidden) where the Foglight housing should be attached. My hope is that the rectangular-ish flange is only to accept the modern front bezels and that LR actually used the same Foglight housing which would go over that flange, secured by the tabs. I can always hope..

Click image to enlarge

Post #260612 15th Apr 2015 11:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>