Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > The Whine. What Does It Sound Like?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Had a call from LR today asking how my wirring noise was and was it sorted now etc. I said yes everything was now OK. They guy said that they had replaced the rear diff bearing and also the front diff. I seem to be getting mixed messages about what has actually been done so I crawled underneath and took a picture of this shiny looking object behind the engine.

Does anyone know what this is?

Post #254681 24th Feb 2015 10:51 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

That's the transfer box.

Post #254684 24th Feb 2015 11:05 pm
dorsetfreelander

I said earlier that LR had called to ask if I was happy with the car after the repair. I said yes it seems OK now. However, this morning my son called to say that he thinks that the noise is still there only quieter. I called LR and they said that I have had the "low level" repair done on the diff and that I might need to have the whole lot changed. As an interim measure and to ensure that it's not also a tyre problem I am going to swap the rears with my other FL2 at the weekend which has new Wranglers on it.

I wonder if anyone has ever had a death certificate with "worrying about his Freelander" cited as the cause?

Post #254752 25th Feb 2015 4:16 pm
littletriple

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Rolling Eyes Its not good. In fact it's rubbish. Parts like diffs, Haldexs etc simply shouldn't fail if designed & built adequately. I've taken several cars to 180k+ miles with virtually nothing wearing out. Even a Peugeot 107 which did 186k with no faults at all before the clutch diaphragm spring broke! I'm probably getting rid of my FL2 before the inevitable. Pity as I REALLY like the car, I just can't live with the prospect of major mechanicals failing as they seem to do. It detracts from the pleasure of owning the car. Each to their own...

Post #254803 25th Feb 2015 10:14 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

I am a great believer in replacing fluids sooner than recommended, I also think that a lot of issues are caused by low fluid levels. I have replaced all fluids in mine and the Haldex fluid was lower than it should have been. I have run the car for a couple of months then rechecked the levels and all is good, but it is such an easy job to check that I will checking mine annually especially as the car is doing more miles now I own it. I think that because LR don't recommend checking the levels for quite some time then these get overlooked, it is possible that some of the issues experienced would be due to excessive ware caused by low fluid. Just my opinion based on what I have found on my car and as it is a costly investment for me at least, it makes sense to ensure everything is as good as it can be.

Post #254809 25th Feb 2015 10:33 pm
dorsetfreelander

littletriple wrote:
Rolling Eyes Its not good. In fact it's rubbish. Parts like diffs, Haldexs etc simply shouldn't fail if designed & built adequately. .

I totally agree, after having 4 FL2s and had major problems with 3 of them I just can't take much more. Yes, they are great cars but the engineering standard seems to be a throwback to the old British Leyland days. My son needs FL2for his job and I am retired so he borrows mine whilst his is being sorted so basically it's OK to rely on a Freelander if you have a hot standby available.

What worries me is that the DS probably uses a lot of common components, As for replacing the PSA engine with Ingenium they would be better off sorting out the rest of the design, you rarely see issues with the PSA engine. my family has now had experience of problems with every part of the drive train from the clutch onwards.

Post #254862 26th Feb 2015 10:11 am
littletriple

RichP wrote:
I am a great believer in replacing fluids sooner than recommended, I also think that a lot of issues are caused by low fluid levels. I have replaced all fluids in mine and the Haldex fluid was lower than it should have been. I have run the car for a couple of months then rechecked the levels and all is good, but it is such an easy job to check that I will checking mine annually especially as the car is doing more miles now I own it. I think that because LR don't recommend checking the levels for quite some time then these get overlooked, it is possible that some of the issues experienced would be due to excessive ware caused by low fluid. Just my opinion based on what I have found on my car and as it is a costly investment for me at least, it makes sense to ensure everything is as good as it can be.

Rich, I agree with you & followed your lube replacement thread with interest as I was thinking of doing the same to mine. BUT, I do feel there must be other underlying issues. Transfer box & diff failure 31K?? And there have been plenty of other low mileage examples too. Recent article in LOI mentions common rear diff problems. Anyway, I hope you are lucky with yours.

Post #254924 26th Feb 2015 3:02 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Just to update this with my progress with my similar problem. Called my local dealer who have booked it in for middle of next month (next time their courtesy car is free - I need one). On description they say likely diff issues which they expect to be covered by extended warranty.

Good news is they can normally diagnose very quickly so no diagnostics fee.

As the courtesy car is a 64 reg SE TD4, they can take as long as they like Smile

Post #254938 26th Feb 2015 5:11 pm
Chuckalicious

Just a wee update on this

http://www.freel2.com/forum/post254938.html#254938

Post #254939 26th Feb 2015 5:15 pm
littletriple

what is your cars mileage?

Post #254940 26th Feb 2015 5:26 pm
Chuckalicious

About 33000 miles. One of the first facelift 2011 models registered Dec 2010.

Post #254941 26th Feb 2015 5:29 pm
dorsetfreelander

60 reg 49k miles

Post #254949 26th Feb 2015 6:18 pm
dorsetfreelander

My son called in this evening to say that the rear diff noise is back after about 300 miles. He said he even had someone in the car today who asked if the rear diff was going. Looks like I will be on the phone to LR in the morning again. What a joke!

Post #254991 26th Feb 2015 10:34 pm
dorsetfreelander

Just got the car back today, this time they have replaced a wheel bearing. Car seems OK now, however it's a bit odd that they replace the transfer box and diff pinion bearing and it goes quiet for a few days then the noise comes back with a vengeance and this time it's a wheel bearing. Coincidence?

Post #255633 4th Mar 2015 6:09 pm
taztastic

England 

Exactly the same happened with me, both replaced in very close order. Strange indeed.

Post #255635 4th Mar 2015 6:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>