Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Manual or auto
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Driven both auto and manual FL2, and had several other automatic cars from various manufacturers - ranging from the everyday plod about to bonkers quick.

Having experienced both the manual and auto FL2, I much prefer the manual - the auto box in the FL2 left me utterly cold. Perhaps I have been spoiled with superior auto boxes in other marques.

Anyhooooo, as many others have said, the only real person to decide is you. I wouldn't get bogged down in the DMF/clutch issue - for every person that's had a problem there are probably three (if not more) that haven't.

Drive 'me both and get whichever suits you best.

Post #234539 11th Sep 2014 11:25 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

That's fine Thumbs Up
Until you get the bill Big Cry Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #234540 11th Sep 2014 11:31 pm
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Possibly. However if the OP is buying from an LR dealer I would expect any failure (clutch related or otherwise) to be dealt with under warranty.

What I am saying is, if the OP drives both and happens to prefer the manual, then don't not get a manual because the clutch MIGHT fail.

Post #234541 11th Sep 2014 11:37 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have a TD4 Auto now. Previous was a manual. Prior to that a Passat DSG Auto, Prior to that a Passat manual! Put me in a manual, I enjoy the control and positive feel, yet hanker after an auto. Put me in an auto, I enjoy the relaxing drive and marvel at the smooth almost imperceptable gear changes yet miss the fuel economy. Maybe I should just have both! Confused 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #234553 12th Sep 2014 8:59 am
decho

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

The way I look at it is that it costs me £4k per year to run my SD4 if you take into account depreciation, servicing, insurance etc. At first I was concerned about Fuel Economy and then I calculated that the difference in cost over the year is only £200-£300 between an SD4 Auto and TD4 Manual - not worth worrying about. My view is that if you can afford a car like this, who cares if fuel costs a bit more.... So now I just floor it and smile Very Happy

Post #234554 12th Sep 2014 9:06 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Quote:
Maybe I should just have both!

For about a decade I did have both - an automatic Subaru which I owned, and a variety of company cars which were mainly manual. So I can get into any car, auto or manual, and drive it anywhere with no problem at all.

In heavy traffic in the city an auto is slightly more relaxing. In the open country I find a manual nicer to drive (one tends to find autos can 'hunt' on the hills around here, and the more the gears the more potential for hunting, plus I don't like the way an auto will change down at the slightest provocation when the torque of a diesel would be more than enough to maintain the required rate of progress without changing). Plus (and this is just one of my foibles!) there's something which has just never sounded right about a car accelerating whilst the engine speed remained constant - it takes away the feeling that you are actually accelerating. I just don't like torque converters.

Then, of course, there's the fuel consumption - around 6-7mpg better on the manuals. And that saving in fuel costs, plus the initial premium for the auto, more than makes up for the cost of any clutch replacement which may be (but probably won't be) required!

So for me, living in the country and surrounded by some great driving roads, it's a manual. But, as others have said, only you can make the choice - try to drive them both and then decide. Just don't assume that the auto is automatically better - for many of us it's not.

Post #234555 12th Sep 2014 9:20 am
milky400

Thanks guys, I am none the clearer. Smile

Driving wise I do have a TVR Tuscan for driving, which is extremely fun. My previous FL2 was a manual and as said did suffer with a screwed clutch after only 23k with one tow in its life upto then.

Must say I am swaying to an auto, but the premium a six month old car fetches still makes me wonder. I know I shouldn't be concerned with mpg, but I have a car already the rape's me for that.

I hate making decisions..

Do we know what offers are planned to get rid of the stock of new FL2? I have emailed my local stealer and they are being very quiet. hunters Norwich, however are having a private managers evening which I have an invite, hate these as you arrive only to be told the deal is......... Which usually isn't worth a toss.

Post #234571 12th Sep 2014 12:05 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Quote:
Do we know what offers are planned to get rid of the stock of new FL2?

The impression I'm getting is that LR will have no trouble at all shifting stock, so you may well find offers few and far between! And many who were hanging on for the DS are likely to revert to an FL2 once they see the price of the DS!

Post #234573 12th Sep 2014 12:15 pm
milky400

Staring at 32k... Bargain.

Post #234576 12th Sep 2014 12:58 pm
ad210358

England 

I think can expect some more Disco Sport models in time, they have released three well specced models for the launch, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see possibly two more lower spec models in time.

Post #234584 12th Sep 2014 3:26 pm
Shaw Tarse

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Orkney Grey

Auto for me, just suits the car. SD4 HSE Lux Orkney Grey,Full size spare tyre,Ugly kid glass.

Post #234600 12th Sep 2014 6:09 pm
milky400

After wanting a ex demo auto, I came out with a brand new manual SE. hope I don't regret not getting an auto.

Need to find myself a full boot liner. Had a great one for the previous FL2 but as I said to myself I won't buy another one I sold it with the car..... Doh! Any suggestions?

Post #234690 13th Sep 2014 4:42 pm
milky400

Post #234691 13th Sep 2014 4:44 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, it's a brilliant manual change and allows you to get the best out of the TD4.

it's a pleasure to go up and down the box !!

Iain

Post #234765 14th Sep 2014 9:36 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Spray some heavy duty lubricant on the gear linkage assembly on top of the gearbox and even though brand new you will find it will make the gear change super slick

Cracking colour, you will enjoy. I have a manual one the same colour and really pleased with it and my previous one was an auto. Fuel sons piton is sooooooo much better and just had to renew my road tax and soooooo much cheaper on the auto.

I tow with mine , I don't slip the clutch and when I pull away with the caravan I don't touch the throttle until the clutch is up and I never ever hold the car on a hill with the clutch.

I'm sure you will enjoy Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #234948 16th Sep 2014 7:44 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12