« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > battery report
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
realspeed

United Kingdom 
battery report

Drove from the south coast up to Cannock and back yesterday the battery reading when started journey read 12.2v and after that trip of 200/300 miles it only read just now after letting it rest 12.4v. So it had only gone up 0.2v with several hours of travelling time. looks as if I shall have to get a CTEK MXS 5.0 CHARGER. Oh alternator is charging at 14.something or other volts, so that is ok Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #228276 2nd Jul 2014 4:08 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

I've just bought a Ctek 5. You can get them for 55 quid on eBay and Amazon. We have a RAC smart charger at work that was telling me my battery was fully charged. The Ctek charger took 2 hours to tell me the battery was charged but I could see all the different phases of charging it was going through. I've read good things about Ctek. I'm going regularly keep topping my battery up. I do 12 miles aday, I've got stop start on my car which hasn't been working well. I've been visiting my mum due to ill health which is around 80 miles round trip and now the stop start is great. So I reckon I'm not doing enough mileage so hopefully the new charger will help keep the battery going. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #228287 2nd Jul 2014 6:48 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey
Re: battery report

realspeed wrote:
Drove from the south coast up to Cannock and back yesterday the battery reading when started journey read 12.2v and after that trip of 200/300 miles it only read just now after letting it rest 12.4v. So it had only gone up 0.2v with several hours of travelling time. looks as if I shall have to get a CTEK MXS 5.0 CHARGER. Oh alternator is charging at 14.something or other volts, so that is ok

if your alternator is ok and after 300mls your battery is low it's a new battery you need not a charge from CTEC !!

Iain

Post #228300 2nd Jul 2014 9:21 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

yes some south african fellow george someone? used to rattle on and on about top up charges when the wasnt rattling about 2stroke oil. he never showed any proof of either,

for me if a battery is failing get a new one dont spend money on a charger then prat about charging every night at some electricity cost, only to have the battery fail the first time you park it overnight away from its charger. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #228307 2nd Jul 2014 10:16 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Started to get interested in the new Nissan Xtrail when it goes on for sale the middle of this month,ok its only 1.6ltr
but next year they are bringing out a 2 ltr version.So may hang on for that instead as we don,t really need 2 cars now Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #228315 3rd Jul 2014 9:39 am
Stevie5tapes

I know a nissan dealership manager. He's seen one and said they are a good car. He is getting one soon so I will go and have a look at it. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.

Post #228318 3rd Jul 2014 10:06 am
realspeed

United Kingdom 

just ordered a CTEK5.0 battery charger Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #228416 5th Jul 2014 10:20 am
alex_pescaru

Do you realize that the cost of a new battery, that last, normally, at least 4-5 years, is the cost of a tank full of fuel??
How many tank fulls you pay in 4-5 years?
The equivalent of one more, for peace of mind is so little...

Post #228417 5th Jul 2014 11:06 am
realspeed

United Kingdom 
Ctek and AGM battery confusion

Ok just received my CTEK MXS 5.0 battery charger and how I do wish people like these actually read what they print on the box against the user manual.

On the side of the box it clearly states in section4 Quote" press the MODE-button to select charging option AGM or RECON." unquote

In the User manual on page 6 step 6 RECON Quote " Choose the Recond program to add the Recon step to the charging process, etc" Unquote

So I rang Ctek and all he could say was although unsure " you don't use the recon step on an AGM battery". What made it worse he didn't even have a copy of the user manual to look at even though I told him several times the page and sub section.

What a poor service when even the supplier doesn't know where to look for instructions as he had something entirely different to look at

Surely this MUST have been raised several times before, I can't believe I am the only one to do so.

Having dealt with several legal matters regarding selling a business with employees and property, and purchasing another property, being precise as to what is written is so important so as not to leave the reader in some confusion I have come to realise. Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #228535 7th Jul 2014 2:07 pm
Stevie5tapes

That's interesting. I did a recon charge on mine! I looked through the manual and it said just keep pressing mode until agm recon lit up. I'll double check the manual tonight but I'm sure there was a picture in it showing the different stages of charging/recon for an AGM battery. I'm planning on getting a new battery this winter but have been meaning to get a charger for a while for just incase me or the wife has a flat battery. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.

Post #228536 7th Jul 2014 2:52 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

This was the red button latest version where as I mentioned the confusion can occur Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #228537 7th Jul 2014 3:07 pm
EYorkshire

You can have 'Normal', 'AGM' or 'Recond' but you can't recondition an AGM battery, only a Normal one.

It is wrong how they have worded it in the charging programme steps, it gives you the impression that you can recondition an AGM battery, but you can't.

Post #228539 7th Jul 2014 3:28 pm
athelstan

alex_pescaru wrote:
Do you realize that the cost of a new battery, that last, normally, at least 4-5 years, is the cost of a tank full of fuel??
How many tank fulls you pay in 4-5 years?
The equivalent of one more, for peace of mind is so little...

Absolutely Alex Bow down
However the "reasoning" of the motoring public often defeats a learned examination.

Post #228558 7th Jul 2014 8:16 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

The battery has now gone from 12.2v to 13.1 with that CTEK charger, it did go up to no 7,but I switched it off for a short time and reconnected it and it has gone back to no 4 so will leave it overnight and see what happens. It is showing a charge rate of 14.6 volts across the terminals which about the same as the alternator output Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #228566 7th Jul 2014 9:14 pm
Stevie5tapes

EYorkshire wrote:
You can have 'Normal', 'AGM' or 'Recond' but you can't recondition an AGM battery, only a Normal one.

It is wrong how they have worded it in the charging programme steps, it gives you the impression that you can recondition an AGM battery, but you can't.

Now I've looked at the instructions you are correct in what you are saying. You can select AGM recon and it shows in the manual the charging steps and voltages etc, but it also states that you can only recon a wet battery or a Ca/Ca battery. That is confusing! I charged my battery on the recon setting for about 3 hours, I wonder if that has done any damage? My battery is 4 years old, I was planning on changing it this winter. I shall see how it goes. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.

Post #228569 7th Jul 2014 9:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>