Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Slaneydore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Did you go for this style
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Freel...3a81784ed1

Or this style fisha
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-LAND-ROVER-...2eca1f7aff BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders
The wanna be other half - http://www.freel2.com/forum/member-carriec.html

Post #209353 29th Nov 2013 7:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fisha

The first style. The ones that look like land rover ones.

Post #209354 29th Nov 2013 7:39 pm
Slaneydore

See if this is any help
There's a fitting video at the bottom of the page Wink

http://www.powerfuluk.com/products/land-ro...02773.html BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders

Post #209356 29th Nov 2013 7:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fisha

I've watched the vid before attempting it. I think I may be a bit harsh, I'll see how it goes. The brackets and framework so to speak are tight a firm, just that there is a bit flex when I stand on it compared to other side steps I've had.

I suppose it's a bit like the fl2 in general. Good wee cars, but when you look closely, you can see why they are they are lighter and cheaper compared to the likes of the full fat RR.

Post #209372 29th Nov 2013 11:07 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I went for the second versions on you options Lee, but not from this supplier. I got mine for £119 delivered.

Now I fitted these myself, and I fitted my original Land Rover steps to the old car myself. The quality of the steps is identical, but the new set had slightly better fixings for the steps on to the brackets.

Personally I prefer the steps that are like the originals. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #209398 30th Nov 2013 9:55 am
fisha

Ok, had another shot at it this morning. Main issue is that he square bars that slot into the brackets and the inner brackets themselves are jointly too short by about 4mm for each other. Net result is that the bars don't hit he back of the bracket and are allowed to slide when stepped on, making the step feel flexy.

I've had to redrill the holes in the inner brackets to allow them to be fixed in a more outwards position and now the gap is all but gone. There is still a tiny bt of flex, but it's a lot better. I think I will have to put a small shim in to bridge the small gap left and that will make them solid.

It's still a crap design of bracket all round. Could be so much easier and stronger if the bracket were a one piece affair and the bar held by a couple of horizontal bolts along its length.

Post #209409 30th Nov 2013 1:31 pm
Slaneydore

Don't you mean the first option Mav - second option has the shiny chrome outers Whistle BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders

Post #209413 30th Nov 2013 5:45 pm
Mav71

Yes that will be the one! Embarassed Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #209420 30th Nov 2013 6:56 pm
Mav71

fisha wrote:
Ok, had another shot at it this morning. Main issue is that he square bars that slot into the brackets and the inner brackets themselves are jointly too short by about 4mm for each other. Net result is that the bars don't hit he back of the bracket and are allowed to slide when stepped on, making the step feel flexy.

I've had to redrill the holes in the inner brackets to allow them to be fixed in a more outwards position and now the gap is all but gone. There is still a tiny bt of flex, but it's a lot better. I think I will have to put a small shim in to bridge the small gap left and that will make them solid.

It's still a crap design of bracket all round. Could be so much easier and stronger if the bracket were a one piece affair and the bar held by a couple of horizontal bolts along its length.

Are you sure you haven't got the brackets in the wrong places? It is easy to get them wrong and nothing lines up.

My kit didn't have any instructions so I had to work it out. But you could easily get them wrong so they don't line up, but they can be out by only a few mm. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #209421 30th Nov 2013 6:58 pm
Slaneydore

Been debating for the last 2weeks on side steps for my freely, looked at loads of photos on google and come to the conclusion they stick out a little to far for my liking.....
So bit the bullet today and ordered a set of side tubes, there a little bit more expensive that the steps but what hurt the most was buying a M6 rivnut tool for £17 that I'm gonna use the once on 4 bolts Whistle

Just spent the last 2 hours debating on the straight tubes or the curved ended tubes - decided on the curved ended tubes Thumbs Up
Found the straight tubes left quite a big gap between the door sill and the tube showing the brackets Shocked BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders

Post #209841 5th Dec 2013 8:12 pm
zagonda

Dangerous things them tubes.... My niece works in A&E and has had a few people slip off the tubes resulting in broken/sprained ankles...... Big Cry
Take care slaneydore, don't fall victim to the tubes Thumbs Up

Post #209843 5th Dec 2013 8:16 pm
Slaneydore

I won't be standing on em Zag, I'll get em dirty Wink BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders

Post #209846 5th Dec 2013 8:19 pm
zagonda

kool Thumbs Up

Post #209847 5th Dec 2013 8:20 pm
ad210358

England 

If you get the Genuine tubes, they mount in a way that it's almost impossible for them to be stood on. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #209848 5th Dec 2013 8:22 pm
Slaneydore

I'll be lucky if I can get my toe on em Whistle
Genuine ones sit nicely under the sill Thumbs Up BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders

Last edited by Slaneydore on 5th Dec 2013 8:31 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #209851 5th Dec 2013 8:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>