Home > Technical > Connecting stuff to battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
stevep999

United Kingdom 
Connecting stuff to battery

Hi all

Just been browsing the Aussie site and found a thread about not connecting electrical items direct to battery, this was in reference o a compresor. Something to do with the negative and a charging reference point for the charging circuit.
Thinking of two additions to FLS.

1 - Flatdogs Anderson jump kit --- straight onto battery terminals ?
2- A Ctek charger and using the battery harness that is supplied -- again straight onto terminals ?

Thanks again in advance Smile

Steve

Last edited by stevep999 on 14th Oct 2013 4:17 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #203022 14th Oct 2013 2:08 pm
chapsworth

2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Baltic Blue

I've got my Heatshot directly connected and not aware of any issues.

Post #203034 14th Oct 2013 4:10 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

I wouldn't describe these as electrical items in the usual sense, and would connect them directly to the battery - the jump kit particularly as that's potentially going to be carrying some very high currents.

For anything else things can get complicated as you need to take account of earthing, electrical interference, etc. Radio equipment (thinking transceivers rather than ICE), for example, is usually connected directly to the battery (or even to a separate dedicated battery with its own charging circuit) to avoid interference.

Without reading it I'm not sure what the Aussie site is on about - possibly something to do with potential differences if something connected directly to the battery is also separately earthed to a part of the car which, due to bad earthing, is at a slightly different potential?

Why do you need the jump kit, by the way? It's not something I'd expect to need very often, and there are warnings in the handbook regarding jump starting to do with electrical spikes and the electronics. Cables with suppressors are recommended, but jump starting is best avoided if possible (which it's not always, of course).

Post #203036 14th Oct 2013 4:39 pm
stevep999

United Kingdom 

They mentioned being careful about what was connected direct to - ve terminal as charging circuit uses that to monitor voltage? ?

Just thinking the Anderson kit as safest was to carry out jumping but if it's potentially harmful to mine I'll forget idea.

Post #203038 14th Oct 2013 4:45 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Hmm - I could have sworn I'd seen something about jump starting, electrical spikes and suppressed cables, but I can't now find it. Maybe I imagined it...!

EDIT: I was probably thinking of this thread:
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic13580.htm...p+starting
See the 8th post (and also later posts about not revving either vehicle.

Post #203040 14th Oct 2013 4:59 pm
oznut

Australia 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Alaska White

Hi Steve,
I am the OP that started the thread at the Aussie website you mentioned. Basically, I was advised against connecting the tyre compressor directly to the battery as modern cars have monitoring s/w that monitors the battery condition and charge the battery accordingly. The concern that attaching these devices could somehow screw the reading etc. Confirmed by a guy at the 4wd shop I later visited to buy other gear.

I raised the thread after reading the manual re attaching a 12v device directly to the battery could risk an explosion .. Very Happy ..which is the other risk I was very keen to avoid..Smile

At any rate I connected the -ve clip of the compressor to the nut where the earth strap is connected to on my MY13 model and used it that way.

Oznut

Post #203057 14th Oct 2013 6:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1