« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Traveling around North Yorkshire & Cumbria - suggestions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Traveling around North Yorkshire & Cumbria - suggestions

We're traveling to North Yorkshire on 14th August and then onto Cumbria on the 18th, returning home the next day.

We'll be leaving from nr Bracknell (SL6), Berkshire and heading to Crayke, York, North Yorkshire, YO61 4TT. Bing maps is suggesting M40/M1, as will the FL2 sat nav I assume. Does anyone have any good reason to avoid that route, either known problems at the moment, hotspots to avoid etc. I'm all for scenic routes but over that sort of distance speed, and thus motorway, would be my preference.

Anyone have any suggestions for a lunch stop around half way?

On Friday we're heading to the Coniston Hall Estate (Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 4EA) for some shooting and LRE. Again any suggestions for a lunch stop somewhere in between, or even a small detour, or a particularly attractive alternative route from where the sat nav will take us?

Finally we're then heading to Cartmel (Nr Grange over Sands, Cumbria, LA11 6PZ) on the Sunday. Check out and check in times means we'll probably have several hours free, so I was thinking of detouring towards Lake Windermere. We've been to Windermere a couple of times, and it will probably be busy, so does anyone have any suggestions for a quieter spot for lunch, somewhere south of Windermere but on the lake.

Any other must sees, either landmarks or roads/routes that you would recommend in and around the area?

Many thanks
Simon

Post #193389 2nd Aug 2013 2:36 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

past 1/2 way from Crayke to skipton but nice
http://www.thedevonshirearms.co.uk/. has nice cafe not just a restaurant
http://www.boltonabbey.com/

route from Crayke to Skipton is pretty good even on the main road, Ripon Harrogate then up the hills onto the A59, some nice farm shop cafes on that route.

Are you staying at/eating at the Durham ox Crayke? that pubs an old favorite of mine, now more of a foody place than a boozer but very nice. owned and run by the same people who have my local (oak tree)
http://www.provenanceinns.com/ At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #193397 2nd Aug 2013 5:23 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

The Angel is excellent food
http://www.angelhetton.co.uk/ Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #193398 2nd Aug 2013 5:46 pm
SimonB

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll go through them and start planning a route.

CG - we're staying at the The Dutch House Wed to Fri, doing one of their activities on the Thursday. We've booked the Black Swan at Oldstead for Wednesday evening, on a recommendation. Thursday evening we'll probably have a quiet night in.

Recommendations for dinner around Skipton for Friday & Saturday are also welcome, although we might eat in the hotel one or both nights, but I've not looked at prices as yet.

Post #193401 2nd Aug 2013 6:22 pm
chicken george

Im sure you will have a fine time Crayke is a lovely village, you can easily explore the local area, drive to the whitehorse Kilburn and walk up the steps for a great view of the vale of York.
you will not far from me at all. although I live in the flat ground 10miles west of your destination At work
At home

Post #193417 2nd Aug 2013 8:48 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up : Thumbs Up : for the Black swan, a tad expensive, but worth it

You could also try the Crown Inn at Roecliffe, just the other side of Borough Bridge

Post #193433 3rd Aug 2013 12:20 am
chicken george

The Crown is very good agreed, my grandma lived there in her early life (probably haunts the place now knowing her), but the most important thing is not where to eat but what to eat. fresh tasty Yorkshire chicken is apparently delicious, many people tell me this, I must try it some time. Whistle

full of protein vitamins and lots of other life boosting thingies, eating chicken makes you 38.95% more sexually attractive to women and not only that, it gives you the energy to do something about it.

recommended with Yorkshire potatoes and oilseed rape oil At work
At home

Post #193439 3rd Aug 2013 8:22 am
taztastic

England 

Have you forgotten your medication again Rolling Eyes

McPhersons in Rawdon used to do an excellent breakfast, not sure if their around any more.

Enjoy your trip up here Thumbs Up

Post #193443 3rd Aug 2013 8:38 am
D99

England 

I know its slightly off route but maybe for the future i can reccommend Wasdale / Wast water areas, quite remote towards Wasdale head but a stunning place. i went for a quick drive round there a few days ago after dinner. just google images for Wasdale and you will get the idea! Thumbs Up

Post #193663 4th Aug 2013 10:39 pm
Fanman

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

Grassington is not far from Skipton and I can recommend The Grassington House Hotel.
Food is the best in the area and prices are reasonable, our favourite at the moment.
The rooms are very good too but as we are only 30 minutes away so we don't stay over often.
The owner has a freelander too.

Post #193696 5th Aug 2013 10:56 am
Adrian888

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

The Angel at hetton is very good but will possibly need booking ahead due to popularity. personally i think the Devonshire Arms is a bit of a rip off however Grassington has plenty of good food pubs so could do worse than simply drive there. the Coniston Hotel itself is very good, satyed there a couple of times and always enjoyed the food. Nice walk around the lake too. eh tu?

Post #193720 5th Aug 2013 1:04 pm
SimonB

Thanks for the all the further suggestions.

Bolton Abbey looks like a nice spot for a stop and was considering the Devonshire Arms. Adrian, did you eat in one of the restaurants? I was thinking maybe just a light bite in one of their lounges and then have time for a wander around the Abbey. We're also hoping to have time for a cycle around the Coniston estate on the Friday so don't want to have too big a lunch.

Grassington seems popular so will check into that, and maybe the Angel for one evening.

Been to Wasdale a number of times when younger as a Venture Scout. Agree it's a lovely location, but possibly a bit too far out of the way. I'd like to see the Grasmere area, so that's an option, up through Kendal, and then come back down past Lake Windermere.

Post #193977 7th Aug 2013 11:21 am
D99

England 

It would be a detour on that journey, Grasmere will be nice, add an extra night and spoil yourself in one of Windermeres nicer Hotels! There really are some impressive places to stay, Some of the property for sale round there is amazing, complete with their own jetty and boat house, with the lake lapping at the edge of a substantial garden.... a bargain at just over £4.7m http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...miumA=true

Post #194007 7th Aug 2013 8:48 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

The Brasserie at the Devonshire Arms is very nice, around 30 quid a head for lunch, and i you can sit outside with nice open views, or go down to the Pavillion for a lighter lunch around a tenner and sit by the footbridge over the river, but this is the main tourist parking area and will cost a fiver to park,

I had sausage and mash at the Brasserie the other weekend after fishing and it was delicious, so good I soon forgot the sausages were seven quid each Rolling with laughter 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #194177 9th Aug 2013 8:15 am
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I live in Leeds so North Yorkshire isn't far as the crow flies just a pain to get there around Ilkley and Otley and the like.

For North Yorkshire you've got to try Malham Cove and Goredale scar - awesome natural scenery. If you want a bit of sea side look no further than Robin Hoods Bay and Staithes

Moving into Cumbria then Grasmere is an excellent little village.

Post #194178 9th Aug 2013 8:26 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>