« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Rear brake problem that came and went
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Forty_two

England 
Rear brake problem that came and went

While trundling up the M5 this afternoon at normal motorway speed my Freelander started to vibrate, it felt at first like an oscillation induced from a poor road surface. So I moved over a lane and the vibration continued and now getting worse my thoughts moved to a rapidly deflating tyre as the vibration increased despite now scrubbing off speed. So, took the hard shoulder and jumped out to see what state the car was in before decamping the OH and the dog. All tyres inflated but a nasty stink from the rear offside wheel and a hot alloy wheel.

Being only a few miles from the next services I opted for running there, while on this short run I found the vibrations were not present over 60mph. Once arrived I had a good look around the car, nothing appeared to be hung up so tried an old trick with squealing brakes and ran the car backwards for a bit in the lorry bays. Vibration has now gone away and the car is going to to the garage in the morning for an inspection.

Anyone have any ideas what may have gone wrong ?

Thanks in advance.

Post #178420 2nd Apr 2013 12:13 am
Andy Jeff

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

This is almost certainly your hand brake shoes binding because the spreaders are corroded/dirty. When the pivot in the spreaders (that auto adjust the handbrake) becomes corroded, it sticks and leaves the handbrake almost on. When you travel at speed, the hand brake shoes and drum 'warm up' and the hand brake becomes even more 'on' and the shoes 'vibrate' against the drum. If it's left too long the excess heat can ruin both drum/disc and handbrake shoes.

As a minimum, you need (or get someone to) take the spreaders off and free them up and check the handbrake shoes and drum/disc for wear.

Common problem I'm afraid!

This will be useful!
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic15122.html

Andy.

Post #178422 2nd Apr 2013 12:56 am
Forty_two

England 

While annoying at least a known problem can be fixed easily enough.

It was serviced recently and the handbrake was adjusted up as it wasn't working enough to pass an MOT, perhaps it just needs backing off a touch? Either way, one for the mechanics to play with!

Cheers for the link.

Post #178423 2nd Apr 2013 1:20 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Deja vu Rolling Eyes

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic14837.html Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #178424 2nd Apr 2013 7:23 am
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

Was in a friends Range Rover last month, same thing happend on the motorway. Smoke was pouring out from the hand brake shoes. Seeing my friend this weekend so i'll ask what happend at dealers. LR assist said it was a common problem. When I looked at the brake disc at the road side it looked very white to me.

I washed my car yesterday and gave the wheels a good blast with the jet wash, this morning I left for work at 6am, little bit of frost about and the hand brake shoes had stuff on. They soon came unstuck but this is the first time in 9 months of owning the car that it has happend. After washing a car is it wise to take it for a spin to dry the brakes off? Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #178493 2nd Apr 2013 6:00 pm
Forty_two

England 

Steve D wrote:
Deja vu Rolling Eyes

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic14837.html

It was that thread I had in mind when I found the tyres still inflated!

Still happy with the car though, we have put 70,000 miles on it in two and a bit years, this and a failed throttle body so far. Oh, and it is a manual that is still on its original clutch and regurally tows.

Post #178499 2nd Apr 2013 6:56 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

Stevie5tapes wrote:
Was in a friends Range Rover last month, same thing happend on the motorway. Smoke was pouring out from the hand brake shoes. Seeing my friend this weekend so i'll ask what happend at dealers. LR assist said it was a common problem. When I looked at the brake disc at the road side it looked very white to me.

just spoke to my mate, he said his Range Rover required discs, pads and shoes after his hand brake jammed on. All done under warrenty. I bet if it wasnt under warranty that would have cost an arm and a leg at the dealers. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #179168 7th Apr 2013 10:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1