Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Mud Flaps....Yea Or Nae?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

jon_a5 wrote:
Has anyone done any offroading with mud flaps fitted? I have been thinking about adding some on mine to keep the spray down while on road, but am worried knowing my luck that the will be off the first time I even go slightly off road..

No problems when I've been off road

They can act as an early warning though, if you hear one scraping you know to stop sharpish before the rock you're on hits the sills!! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #174193 5th Mar 2013 12:56 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

If the off road is tricky and hard, then my mud flaps get in the way especially if you have to reverse. I've nearly ripped mine off on a few tracks. If you reverse into a rock step it pushes the flap against the tyre and mangles it a bit. Otherwise they are good. They do look better and most people won't be reversing into rock steps. Smile

Post #174209 5th Mar 2013 2:08 pm
surfingmonkey

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Had my rear ones on a while, they were easy to fit. Did the front ones this last weekend and they need a bit more work but not too bad. Suggest you use this video to help:

As everybody else has said, vehicle looks much better with them and they also do exactly what they're supposed to do Thumbs Up

Post #174223 5th Mar 2013 6:17 pm
Kola's Kab

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

Hi,

Decison made! Ordered them to be fitted by the dealer on my soon to be delivered Freelander 2010. Quoted about £195, and after watching that video surfingmonky kindly linked....well worth the ~£90 labour..... cutting exsisting trims and drilling bodywork is a bit scary, even unclipping the exsisting trim, my luck would be the plastic pegs would break off!

Thanks for all the advice Kola is the big solid black German Shepherd, Dobbie is.......a breed you've never heard of......yet;)

Post #174580 8th Mar 2013 11:31 am
Chris B

United Kingdom 

Mud flaps fitted on old and new. Yes, I've been off road and, being so close to the wheels, they are not the bits that touch in my experience so no issues. Go get 'em!

Juding by what they catch and the spray line up the front door, they certainly keep some of the muck off but, if you are intent on maxing your fuel economy, they must slightly increase the wind resistance! Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #174582 8th Mar 2013 11:38 am
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I've found some genuine LR ones for £100. Are they worth it? I've seen non-genuine mudflaps for half the price but I would prefer genuine ones.

Post #178871 5th Apr 2013 3:52 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

If you go for the pattern parts make sure that they come with the metal mounting brackets for the front flaps as do the Original Equipment parts . Without those tricky shaped brackets ( which are hidden under the plastic wheel arch liner when fitted )you will probably not get a secure fit . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #178932 5th Apr 2013 11:54 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

After ripping the front ones off off-road on the FL1 - and doing a good bit of body & wing liner damage at the same time I would be dubious about fitting them on the FL2.

Clay build up on the tyre, then weaving side to side to get grip, Big Cry Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #178945 6th Apr 2013 8:42 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12