Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > My LR Experience day
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
EYorkshire

My LR Experience day

I went to my first LR experience half day on Saturday at Coniston Cold near Skipton with Phil as the instructor. After the H&S briefing it was a chat in their auto Freelander to see what I knew regarding the controls, then it was a ride out on the back roads to demonstrate a few of the terrain settings.
When we got back Phil drove us around a part of the site where he could show off the FL's capabilities like 'cross axle' where we had only 2 wheels touching and still it drove, explaining the need to rev it to approx 1800rpm for the traction control to operate. Driving sideways along a 45 degree angle was a bit iffy as I didn't know the maximum angle before it 'fell over' Laughing
When I got around to driving the things that most impressed me was, no wheel scrabbling, the traction control was immediate. Hill descent control, wow! that was impressive with no feet on the brake pedal it kept at a crawl with no skidding. Gradient assist, just stopped half way up a steep incline and no roll back when starting again, the brakes stay on until it senses throttle then releases automatically Thumbs Up

A good half day out with a good instructor. Thumbs Up

Post #99851 26th Apr 2011 8:50 am
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Sounds fun.
I always put Hill Decent Control on when I am going down the ramp at my local car park. It's always worth checking the system! Thumbs Up

So what IS the degree angle before it "falls over"?
And how do you know what the angle is in the first place... or is this a dub question? Embarassed

Last edited by AiiEEX on 26th Apr 2011 11:59 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #99865 26th Apr 2011 11:56 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

I assume this was all done with a caravan on the back!!! 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #99866 26th Apr 2011 11:58 am
EYorkshire

AiiEEX wrote:
So what IS the degree angle before it "falls over"?
And how do you know what the angle is in the first place... or is this a dub question? Embarassed

As it was on LR's site and the sideways slope was carefully made we were told 45 degrees and it certainly felt that way, again 47 degrees was mentioned as the maximum, I don't think I would have trusted that sideways angle before it being demonstrated to me.

Npinks went the week before, maybe he could say what angle he thought it to be.

Post #99867 26th Apr 2011 12:11 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

the angle thing always feels much worse when your in the car, it often look minor to people watching whilst the driver is in near pamnic At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #99870 26th Apr 2011 12:40 pm
alex_pescaru

Are you sure it was 45 degrees?
I tend to believe that it was a 45 percent incline, which is about 24 degrees.
Nobody will risk a 45 degrees lateral incline in a FL2 with a customer besides....
The vertical projection of the car's center of gravity will be almost out of it's base and thinking that when loaded with two persons the gravity's center is rising...
And like CG said, a 45% incline (24 degrees) feels like a lot more.

Post #99878 26th Apr 2011 1:22 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

LRE - Coniston Hall.....

Post #99880 26th Apr 2011 1:27 pm
EYorkshire

No, not sure, only what we were told. It looked damn steep on the approach maybe because it was angled into the hillside. Maybe 45% incline, I don't know I was wiping my arse at the time Shocked

Post #99881 26th Apr 2011 1:30 pm
alex_pescaru

Yep, in the picture above, not taking into consideration the parallax error, it's an under 30 degrees incline.

Remember what LR off-road driving manual states at page 83:
Caution: Do not attempt to drive the vehicle continuously at angles greater than 35 degrees nose up or down, or 30 degrees side to side. It is acceptable to drive up or down at angles between 35 degrees and 45 degrees,
but only momentarily. Failure to follow these instructions will result in damage to the engine.

Read between the lines: only nose up or down between 35 and 45 degrees. Never lateral! A slight slip and tragic things could happen. Believe me, I've saw it on a car from our group of off-road "pack rats"...

Never underestimate the angles of inclines.
Look here what a small incline, combined with several other factors, could do...

Or here, from 1:35

Post #99882 26th Apr 2011 1:34 pm
EYorkshire

Ouch Shocked not the way to go at all, so easily done as there looked to be nothing there that would cause that. The demonstration lateral angle was purposely smooth and the drivers side wheels were riding on the horizontal so it was as safe as could be, it just looked as steep as he said and certainly felt steeper than he said from inside. Very Happy

Post #99891 26th Apr 2011 1:58 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i was there, the week before, but i didn't ask the angles, though my father did and the instructor never actually gave an answer,

though at one stage with my dad driving on the last little section you do near the old car park (its now moved) you do go very far over, stop just as the car bounces (which i think is deliberate to make you clench the old arse muscles) and he showed me the driver display showing that the upper two wheels were showing a red line underneath them, which indicates that they had little of no traction on the off road display (i was in a Disco4) Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #99896 26th Apr 2011 2:02 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

45 degrees is the standard LR angle, up down or sideways. Not sure if it applies to the FR2 admittedly. Two things to bear in mind - almost no-one will ever dare to try a 45 degree sideways angle, it is VERY frightening, and secondly any slight bump at that angle WILL cause a roll-over. For most people, you will give up in sheer terror long before the car will!

Post #99986 26th Apr 2011 10:44 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I once had a defender at 90 degrees, I had to go get a tractor to stand it back on its wheels. it was late at night I was 16 my dad was on his holidays Whistle
remarkable only a few small panels where bent cost next to nothing to repair, I told him straw bales fell on it . he never did work out how brake fluid seeped out of the dashboard for weeks afterwards though.

Well he did actually my mate spilt the beans during his best mans speech at my wedding Evil or Very Mad At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #99999 27th Apr 2011 12:03 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1