Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Diesel - Which do you use?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

You're not lieing about the lowest mpg award are you Nick!?

Even towing a track car and spares at erm, pretty quick I didn't see anywhere near as low as that! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #95869 21st Mar 2011 12:16 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Razz well atleast it goes normal 28-30mpg on the motorway when I reset the trip Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #95870 21st Mar 2011 12:27 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

npinks wrote:
I filled my car up with fuel save the other day and today I opted for
£92 of VPower I should do similar type trips so it will be interesting to find if my mpg gets better

Avg 22.92mpg and on the fuel save got 23.56mpg

that's a shocking mpg, my Disco 2 returned 30mpg without even trying, and my FL2 gives another 10mpg more than that !!

Iain

Post #95882 21st Mar 2011 11:22 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Autos will always use more fuel than a manual as it is more easy to control gear changes.
I hade a auto for a while not long ago and niticed a big leap in fuel being used.

Post #95913 21st Mar 2011 4:46 pm
hutchingsp

Mav71 wrote:
Back to the original question, I did 2500 miles on normal shell (Before fuel save) and then 2500 miles on V-Power, and over the test I found that the V-Power gave better overall mpg.

Over the first 2500 miles, I zero'd the trip the car averaged 31.3mpg, and then I reset it again and over the next 2500 miles on the V-Power the car averaged 33.9mpg.

So although it costs more to buy in the first place, the extra mpg covers the cost. But, V-Power Diesel is refined from Liquid Gas where normal diesel is refinded from crude. This is alot better for the engine as fuel refined from liquid gas has less crap in it so the dirt build up is less. You will always get more crap build up in crude refined diesel.

This does have a better long term effect on your engine, and the TD4 engine is alot quieter on V-Power than on regular diesel.

Apart from this test I did two years ago, it has always ran on V-Power and will continue to do so.

Thanks Mav, that's the kind of thing I wanted to hear. I have a fairly simple philosophy that if I was really watching the pennies I wouldn't have had a new car, so a few quid on fuel that might (emphasis on "might") just get me a few more MPG and possibly reduce the chance of a problem down the line isn't going to concern me that much.

Post #95946 21st Mar 2011 7:13 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I'll ignore The Doctors non technical reply. I have found that paying the extra cancels itself out with the extra mileage you get.

You will notice a difference after 2-3 tanks of V-Power. Just a few extra mpg is not telling you the whole picture, to me whether the car does 25mpg, 32mpg or 36mpg, I don't care, the fact that V-Power is better for your engine is enough.

It is quieter, smoother and more repsonsive on V-Power. I ran fuel save in my Mercedeswhen I first got it, but now run it on V-Power and the engine is much smoother. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #95979 21st Mar 2011 9:36 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Mav71 wrote:
I'll ignore The Doctors non technical reply. I have found that paying the extra cancels itself out with the extra mileage you get.

You will notice a difference after 2-3 tanks of V-Power. Just a few extra mpg is not telling you the whole picture, to me whether the car does 25mpg, 32mpg or 36mpg, I don't care, the fact that V-Power is better for your engine is enough.

It is quieter, smoother and more repsonsive on V-Power. I ran fuel save in my Mercedeswhen I first got it, but now run it on V-Power and the engine is much smoother.

I'll ignore Mav71's stubborn reply. Look, I do not doubt that the engine is smoother with V-Power and if you don't care about fuel economy then perhaps you would have been better off with the i6. Your post also implies that you clearly have loads of money to spend on fuel and are happy to boast about it. The fact is that Shell fuel save diesel is of good quality rather than supermarket stuff. And for those such as myself who do care about fuel economy, fuel save is best. I will support your point that V-Power will offer superior economy over cheap diesel but I am very confident that the smaller gains it may achieve over fuel save will NOT justify the ridiculous cost. If for example I put £50 in, there will be more fuel in the tank with fuel save than with V-Power and there is no way the fuel save will run out quicker than the V-Power to justify the difference. I use V-Power every so often and I will put about £50 next time and check the computer and miles until empty etc to see the difference.

Another fuel saving tip according to a couple of mags I read recently is to not fill the tank. This adds a fair amount of weight and decreases fuel economy apparently. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #95993 21st Mar 2011 11:49 pm
Mav71

I have not once said I don't care about fuel economy. I stated that I don't car if the car does 32 or 36mpg, On the whole grand scheme of things for a car that does about 8000 miles a year, 3-4mpg won't make that much difference.

It's not our main car so the fuel economy is not so important on the whole.

So don't state on hear that I must have loads of money to spend on fuel and want to boast about it. That is a bit over the top.

Your absolutley right that fuel save if for sure better than super market fuels, but the V-Power if used on a regular basis will be better. I also agree that only having half a tank in is better for MPG.

V-Power near me is £140.9 per litre, and Fuel Save is £1.35.9 per litre, The supermarkets are also £135.9 so V-Power is not that much more, about £3.30 extra based on putting in a full tank of 67 litres is not worth worrying about.

I only fill up about once a month sometimes longer, so the long term benefits of V-Power out weighs the small extra cost. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #96016 22nd Mar 2011 9:48 am
EYorkshire

Here's a non technical reply:
I just don't care, and whichever garage happens to be their when I want fuel. Thumbs Up

Post #96019 22nd Mar 2011 9:58 am
Mav71

EYorkshire wrote:
Here's a non technical reply:
I just don't care, and whichever garage happens to be their when I want fuel. Thumbs Up

Good one, nice reponse! I think this has got a little out of hand which is not the intention.

Hope you have not taken it personally Doc, as this is not the case. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #96021 22nd Mar 2011 10:22 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i went through a stage of heading to Shell to get the fuel saver stuff, but then that was out of my way, so the 10 min drive there and back was a ball ache

so i reverted back to my local Tesco store, no real difference, could go to Total and fill up there but then i get double tesco points when i go to the supermarket, clubcard and pay on the the tesco visa too

points make prizes Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #96023 22nd Mar 2011 10:44 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Caravan club Visa = 'Free' site nights Thumbs Up Very Happy

Post #96033 22nd Mar 2011 11:07 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

how many nights to the £

at £200 a month in fuel it might be worth a punt Smile Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #96037 22nd Mar 2011 11:13 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

mcphersonstrut wrote:
Caravan club Visa = 'Free' site nights Thumbs Up Very Happy

egg card = free cash , free site nights Shocked thats a punishment not a reward Rolling Eyes At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #96041 22nd Mar 2011 11:27 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Rolling with laughter Most cards just over 1% cash back or equiv so all work about the same - what ever floats your boat (Or wife chooses Shocked ).

Post #96043 22nd Mar 2011 11:37 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>