Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Garmin 1490 Land Rover fitting instructions / noise question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
impact

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Fuji White
Garmin 1490 Land Rover fitting instructions / noise question

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I've proper Land Rover issue fitting instuctions for Garmin 1490T. The only thing is I can't work out a way of posting them. I can email if required, or if perhaps someone could give me a few pointers on uploading them, that could work too.

I also have a question regarding a hight pitch noise / whistle that I can hear when I take my foot of the accelerator while travelling above 40km / h. Regarding characteristics of the noise, I can report the following;
1. Sound is not there when depressing accelerator when vehicle is stationary
2. Sound is not audible bellow 40km/h, even while trying to rev the engine with neutral selected
3. Pitch does not change with the manual gear selection (ie going up or down a gear with foot off the accelerator while travelling at speed)
4. Sound is still there when driving / rolling with engine off (yep, I turned the engine off while driving)
5. The sound is electric like in nature and somewhat similar to the one vehicle makes when you've just turned the engine off.
6. As soon as you open a window to check if it's originating outside the vehicle it can no longer be heard (due to increase in the levels of ambient noise - so I believe it's originating in the engine compartment).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2009 TD4 SE

Last edited by impact on 12th Mar 2011 4:41 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #94968 12th Mar 2011 4:04 pm
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

The cabin temp sensor can make a whirring noise, its to the right and just below the steering column. Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #94969 12th Mar 2011 4:20 pm
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Could it be as simple as a bad window seal. That fits all the symptoms you describe, especially with the engine off / window open? We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #94973 12th Mar 2011 4:33 pm
impact

Boxer wrote:
The cabin temp sensor can make a whirring noise, its to the right and just below the steering column.

Would the sensor still be operating with the aircon / climate off? I did try turning the aircon off but it was still there.

Post #94976 12th Mar 2011 4:46 pm
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

That I'm not sure of but its easy to tell if it is it making the noise just stick your ear by it. Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #94978 12th Mar 2011 5:07 pm
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

G'Day Boxer, Thanks very much for your post re the cabin sensor; you've saved me a heap of trouble, since I had assumed that there was a bit of leaf or something occasionally rubbing against the heater fan. I was not looking forward to trying to gain access to clear it! Much appreciated.
I'm sorry that it's not much help to impact, but I've taken up on his offer to email the Garmin fitting instructions, again a very helpful piece of information.
Thanks to you both.

Post #95013 12th Mar 2011 10:12 pm
impact

egipp wrote:
G'Day Boxer, Thanks very much for your post re the cabin sensor; you've saved me a heap of trouble, since I had assumed that there was a bit of leaf or something occasionally rubbing against the heater fan. I was not looking forward to trying to gain access to clear it! Much appreciated.
I'm sorry that it's not much help to impact, but I've taken up on his offer to email the Garmin fitting instructions, again a very helpful piece of information.
Thanks to you both.

Your very own copy of the fitting instructions is on its way, egipp. I've also sighted the actual "kit" that the GPS comes with. They are precision cut bits of plastic that fit into the central compartment and support the unit. A pastic face plate finishes it of.

Mine was fitted in a slightly different manner though. I've purchaed I bit of "faceplate" plastic from a caraudio shop for $45. Measured the screen dimensions and cut plastic to size. The outer surface of the plastic was textured, and looked different to flat black plastic of the dash. I sanded it donw, and finished it with fine grit sandpaper. Polished with Autoglym resin plish. The GPS was first secured to the face plate with black automotive silicon based adhesive from Bunnings, and fixed to the back of the centre console faceplate (the one that goes around the stereo and the aircon vents with the same adhesive. Neither the GPS or the back of the console is ruined as the adhesive can be pulled off. In this type of install the "central storage" compartment is left out of the vehicle, but can be replaced if required.
I'll will get some pics up soon.

Post #95024 13th Mar 2011 3:54 am
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Impact,
Would it be possible to email me the fitting instructions please. PM me your emailand I will send my email address to you. Bow down Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #95034 13th Mar 2011 10:40 am
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame
Re: Garmin 1490 Land Rover fitting instructions / noise ques

impact wrote:
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I've proper Land Rover issue fitting instuctions for Garmin 1490T. The only thing is I can't work out a way of posting them. I can email if required, or if perhaps someone could give me a few pointers on uploading them, that could work too.

I am interested in these. Perhaps you could upload them to your gallery? If not, email them to me and I will upload them to mine for you. I will PM you my email address Smile

Cheers,
Whytey 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #95053 13th Mar 2011 1:49 pm
impact

Thanks for the tip, djwhyte. I think I have managed to upload the file to my gallery. Please let me know if there are any issues with downloading it.

Post #95055 13th Mar 2011 2:08 pm
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

PDF file received and printed. Many thanks for your help Bow down Bow down Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #95146 14th Mar 2011 10:01 am
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Thanks impact, I have downloaded and printed the file also.

I have one of these 1490T units, but not dealer fitted it is just wedged in there.

I find the audio is terrible, particularly when using the BT hands free. People can hear me fine, but I struggle to hear a word they are saying. Navigation audio seems fine. I was thinking of dismantling my Garmin unit and trying to extend the speaker cabling so I could place the speaker in the center speaker grill on the dash.

Looking at these instructions I can't tell if the dealer fit unit would have better audio or not. Perhaps this isn't an issue in the dealer fit since, the MY11's come with proper BT as standard. Maybe I should get a Parrot kit installed for BT and use the Garmin for nav only???

Anyways, it isn't clear from the pictures in the scanned in file whether there is some 'tunneling' of the audio from the unit through the 'stowage compartment', which may help with the audio.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Anyone had issue with the dealer installed unit and BT audio? Anyone know of the LR part number for the wiring loom and fascia surround? Can they be bought separate?

Regards,
Whytey 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #95253 15th Mar 2011 12:21 am
stuey

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Hi Impact

I am also new to the forum and noticed that you have the fitting instructions for the Garmin 1490. I have wired it up and all but i was wondering if you could email me the instructions, jsut so i know ive done it correctly. Seems to be working, im not sure if i can leave it in the hole space or not. Also, i would like to know if there is anything that can suround the unit, like a plastic frame so it blends in.

Many thanks in advance. My email address is stu3340@hotmail.com

Post #100693 3rd May 2011 3:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ikduncan

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black

can someone send me the official instructions please?

thanks

ian.duncan@pop3mail.co.uk

Post #139588 13th Apr 2012 8:36 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Hi folks - just a tip but if you don't want to recieve lots of spam - you might want to edit your email addresses of the site or use name dot lastname at domain dot com else all the spambots will be out and putting your address down for little blue tablets, penis enlargers and a Nigerian offering to give you a milliam in return for a 100 notes !!! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #139589 13th Apr 2012 8:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>